Why are Moses & Elijah at the transfiguration?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So . . . do you have an idea on this?

yup

i kind of wanted to see if anyone gets it before just giving my view, tho. if i could lead anyone to think of it without me just stating it..

is it time for me to say?
i'm perfectly willing, i just thought it best to give some space for responses first.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yup

i kind of wanted to see if anyone gets it before just giving my view, tho. if i could lead anyone to think of it without me just stating it..

is it time for me to say?
i'm perfectly willing, i just thought it best to give some space for responses first.
I'm ready!

:)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do see what i mean by not being satisfactory as an answer to just say, 'they represent the law and the prophets' ?
I do.

So far, I find that any answer will be someone's opinion only. And as such, well, we may not all have the same opinion. I'm interested in your idea.

Much love!

Reactions: post

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to send those who could most lift up Jesus in his darkest hour.

the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
(Revelation 21:8)​

any view that makes Christ afraid & doubting is a view that ascribes sin to Him, making Him worthy of damnation.
you think Jesus was afraid; fear is unbelief -- you call Jesus full of doubt and sin, which makes Him not a spotless sacrifice, which would mean there is no salvation. the apostles are terrified: He tells the apostles, "do not be afraid" -- but you think He's terrified Himself? so you call the Lord double-minded. Moses & Elijah are not His 'favorite characters from a storybook' sent to be 'consoling' God -- Christ is teaching them. they are speaking about what He will do; do you think they're giving Him advice??? that's horrendous blasphemy!

because you deny God, you nullify salvation, and you cannot understand scripture, because all scripture is testimony of Him ((John 5:39)).
God is not full of doubt about His own plan. our Saviour is not a pathetic, confused and terrified man to be pitied and coddled by Moses. God does not need man to encourage Him to do His own will. you join the pharisees at the cross mocking Him saying, 'He saved others but He cannot save Himself!'
you should be ashamed.

Christ is God.
you cannot understand what you read, because you do not believe.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
(Revelation 21:8)​

any view that makes Christ afraid & doubting is a view that ascribes sin to Him, making Him worthy of damnation.
you think Jesus was afraid; fear is unbelief -- you call Jesus full of doubt and sin, which makes Him not a spotless sacrifice, which would mean there is no salvation. the apostles are terrified: He tells the apostles, "do not be afraid" -- but you think He's terrified Himself? so you call the Lord double-minded. Moses & Elijah are not His 'favorite characters from a storybook' sent to be 'consoling' God -- Christ is teaching them. they are speaking about what He will do; do you think they're giving Him advice??? that's horrendous blasphemy!

because you deny God, you nullify salvation, and you cannot understand scripture, because all scripture is testimony of Him ((John 5:39)).
God is not full of doubt about His own plan. our Saviour is not a pathetic, confused and terrified man to be pitied and coddled by Moses. God does not need man to encourage Him to do His own will. you join the pharisees at the cross mocking Him saying, 'He saved others but He cannot save Himself!'
you should be ashamed.

Christ is God.
you cannot understand what you read, because you do not believe.
Wow! Both barrels! Why?

Where did @Wrangler say Christ was afraid? or Doubting? Where does Wrangler say Jesus was "full of doubt and sin"?

"our Saviour is not a pathetic, confused and terrified man to be pitied and coddled by Moses."

That's not what he said.

And just for reference . . .

Matthew 4:11 KJV
Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Luke 22:42-44 KJV
42) Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43) And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
44) And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Was there something Jesus needed?

Much love!

Reactions: Acolyte

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm ready!

:)

well i guess we've already heard the 'standard answer' that i feel doesn't really answer. so here goes!

for this we need some scripture, and i'm going to do a poor job of explaining, so take this and go study it all out; let's start here:

Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.
(1 Corinthians 10:1-4)​

they drank from a rock at Meribah - but that rock didn't follow or 'accompany' ((a more literal meaning of the word)) them. but something did accompany them, never leaving them, all through the wilderness: a pillar of cloud and fire, called "The Angel of the LORD" in Exodus 14. we ought to know already who "The Angel/Messenger of the LORD" is -- we could go many places, even Exodus 3 ((go have a look)), where He is identified as the I AM Who speaks to Moses saying He is the God of his fathers. here too, in Corinthians, as yet another witness, "The Angel of the LORD" is identified as Christ -- 'the cloud' -- rather, the One Who is in that cloud.

have a look here:

on the day that the tabernacle was raised up, the cloud covered the tabernacle, the tent of the Testimony; from evening until morning it was above the tabernacle like the appearance of fire. So it was always: the cloud covered it by day, and the appearance of fire by night
(Numbers 9:15-16)​

this cloud covered the tabernacle, and it had the appearance of fire -- a bright cloud of glory, just like we have at the transfiguration.
now look here:

And it came to pass, when Moses entered the tabernacle, that the pillar of cloud descended and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and the LORD talked with Moses.
(Exodus 33:9)​

Moses spoke with the LORD in the tabernacle as the bright cloud of glory came to the door. Moses went in, the bright cloud of glory went in. the LORD in this way spoke with Moses -- and Who is in the cloud? "The Angel of the LORD" who is, from Exodus 3, I AM THAT I AM -- who is, from 1 Corinthians 10, Christ -- Christ who is , from John 8 & John 18 & lots of other places, I AM THAT I AM. another place to see this is putting Exodus 14 together with Exodus 40; the cloud is the cloud of "The Angel of the LORD" and it is "the cloud of the LORD" ((Exodus 40:38)) -- they are identified as equal; the same thing the pharisees try to stone Jesus for saying in John 8 ((among other places)).

so Moses knows Who is in the cloud of shekinah glory; Moses is an eye-witness of Christ glorified

& now look here:

Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
(2 Kings 2:11)​

Elijah doesn't go up on a chariot of fire -- the chariot & horses of fire separate Elisha from him.
Elijah goes up in a "whirlwind" -- just as the LORD spoke to Job out of "the whirlwind" ((Job 40:6)).
what do you imagine that whirlwind looks like? maybe it has the appearance of fire? =]

i am going to say that just like Moses, and like no other person in all the scripture, Elijah is a witness of who is in the center of the Shekinah glory cloud that led Israel through the wilderness, that descended on the tabernacle, that filled Solomon's temple, that spoke to Job, and Who will return again to destroy the wicked ((Jeremiah 23:19) -- it is the LORD ((Exodus 40:38)), the King of Israel, ((1 Samuel 8:8, John 1:49, Revelation 19:16)) -- it is Christ, the visible manifestation of the invisible God.

TLDR:
Moses & Elijah are two witnesses that Christ is God, the very God who brought them out of Egypt and dwelt in the temple in Jerusalem. and that is why, they are present, specifically them and no one else: because they are testifying that this, this is the same Christ who has always been in the center of that bright cloud of glory. and so Christ told them, do not tell anyone what you have seen until the Son of Man has risen from the dead
He hides Himself ((Isaiah 45:15)) -- and speaks in parables, so that those who do not have ((i.e. those who do not believe or know who He is)), even what they have is taken away: but those who do have ((having been revealed and believing Who He is)), to them more is given. this is why i said to Mssr. Wrangler, who rejects His Person, that it is impossible for him to understand or correctly interpret scripture. all he can do is anthropomorphize, projecting his own weakness and blindness on God, as tho He were a man. Christ is perfect, sinless humanity: in Him there is no sin; no doubt and no fear. we need to believe this and cling to it in order to comprehend what we are reading.

and yes, this gives a great deal of credence to these two being the 'two witnesses' of Revelation 11

if that makes sense... ?

Reactions: Azim

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! Both barrels! Why?

Where did @Wrangler say Christ was afraid? or Doubting? Where does Wrangler say Jesus was "full of doubt and sin"?

"our Saviour is not a pathetic, confused and terrified man to be pitied and coddled by Moses."

That's not what he said.

And just for reference . . .

Matthew 4:11 KJV
Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Luke 22:42-44 KJV
42) Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43) And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
44) And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Was there something Jesus needed?

Much love!

if you deny He is God, you will not understand this either.
Jesus Christ is never not-God. He is God and is always God.

in Matthew 4:11 the word is literally to 'wait on & serve' -- as He is their Master & Creator.
compare Luke 22 with John 17. He explicitly does not pray for Himself, but for them; for us -- and He is no longer in the world when He prays these things, which He prays aloud for the benefit of those who hear it ((John 17:9, 17:11)). He is agonizing over you because He knows that The Evil One will test you. the man Jesus is physically as weak as any man: the person Christ Jesus is the LORD God Almighty, and His arm is not shortened. this Lord, our Savior, commands all of creation, and is holding it together and giving it all existence by His will ((Colossians 1:17)) even while Luke 22/John 17 is happening. He is never not-doing that. you can't pretend Colossians 1:17 doesn't exist while you read Luke 22; you need to remember and believe it -- the scripture is not 'simple'

we should be amazed at these things, not thinking to use them to blaspheme.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am going to say that just like Moses, and like no other person in all the scripture, Elijah is a witness of who is in the center of the Shekinah glory cloud that led Israel through the wilderness, that descended on the tabernacle, that filled Solomon's temple, that spoke to Job, and Who will return again to destroy the wicked ((Jeremiah 23:19) -- it is the LORD ((Exodus 40:38)), the King of Israel, ((1 Samuel 8:8, John 1:49, Revelation 19:16)) -- it is Christ, the visible manifestation of the invisible God.
Interesting!

I agree with what you've said about Moses, he spoke with God face to face, so that would have been Jesus.

Elijah, yes, it's good you've caught the part about the whirlwind, so many talk about he going up in the chariot. Just the same, it was a whirlwind, and whether or not Elijah saw Jesus in glory in the whirlwind, that seems speculation to me.

Abraham and Sarah also spoke with God face to face, which would have been Jesus also.

And Adam and Eve, Cain, I think I can name quite a few who seem to have spoken with God face to face. The elders of Israel who ate with God on the mountain.

The three Hebrew men in the furnace in Babylon.

Much love!

Reactions: post and Azim

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is never not-God. He is God and is always God.
Yeah OK, but he didn't say those things which you said he did.

?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses & Elijah are two witnesses that Christ is God, the very God who brought them out of Egypt and dwelt in the temple in Jerusalem. and that is why, they are present, specifically them and no one else: because they are testifying that this, this is the same Christ who has always been in the center of that bright cloud of glory. and so Christ told them, do not tell anyone what you have seen until the Son of Man has risen from the dead
He hides Himself ((Isaiah 45:15)) --
I'm curious then, what are your thoughts regarding them discussing Jesus' soon departure?

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
that's an interesting response, and one i haven't heard!
but Elisha received a double portion of Elijah's spirit - so how can i say Elijah was the greatest prophet? or Moses?
it's ultimately not based in scripture but eisegesis.
what does it mean 'a double portion' and does it qualify as 'greater'.....besides, it was Elijah who appeared to Jesus not Elisha

Reactions: marks

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
what does it mean 'a double portion' and does it qualify as 'greater'.....besides, it was Elijah who appeared to Jesus not Elisha

Is not the "double portion" referring to Elijah and Elisha's relationship as father and son, and Elisha asking for the first born son's blessing, which was typically a double of what any siblings received?

Reactions: post

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His appearance does argue in favor of his emminence.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is not the "double portion" referring to Elijah and Elisha's relationship as father and son, and Elisha asking for the first born son's blessing, which was typically a double of what any siblings received?
Did you know that Elisha did 2X the miracles as Elijah?

Much love!

Reactions: post and Azim

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is never not-God.

Your idolatry is more important to you than bringing people to Christ. Try reading and understanding Romans 14:1.

Because Jesus is not God, he is NEVER God. Try reading and understanding the 1st Commandment, particularly the singular pronoun "me."

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abraham and Sarah also spoke with God face to face, which would have been Jesus also.

And Adam and Eve, Cain, I think I can name quite a few who seem to have spoken with God face to face. The elders of Israel who ate with God on the mountain.

Yes, I could name many too - anyone who spoke with God in a visible form.

But not being glorified, in a bright cloud =]

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's circular reasoning, bro. You're saying Elijah was present because he is the greatest prophet, and he is the greatest prophet because he was present.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Try reading and understanding

Zechariah 12:10
And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced.

It is the LORD God Almighty who was pierced.

Acts 20:28
Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

It is the LORD God Almighty who purchased His own church with His own blood.

Two witnesses are enough even though there are a thousand I can recite - however evident it is you refuse to believe them.
Truly it is said, He came unto His own, but His own received Him not!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's a fair point that double-portion does not necessarily mean double greatness. We need to know what 'greatness' means, as God defines greatness

Both are amazing types and pictures of Christ, sometimes in very different aspects, Elijah coming in judgment and Elisha with salvation and healing, and vice-versa