Why debate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tkinnie

May 15, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well after years of studying and talking with people from various religions, I came to understand that no one is ever going to know it all, none of us are ever going to have it 100% correct. We just can't. The sabbath, the birth of Jesus, the origin of the bible, etc... we will never know, its impossible unless GOD reveals it to us himself. Everyone has a different perspective on the bible, and thats how you get many religions. No the bible isnt the 1st form txt regarding god, but this is what he gave us, and we need to be content with that. Its when we are curious that we go out and explore other options, we get what I call EVE syndrome. We're so curious that we'd believe anything we hear. Just as the snake deceived eve, any pastor of a false religion can deceive us, if we are not content with what god gave us. The only things I know for sure, are whats written in scripture, and im fine with that. Anything beyond that, GOD will have to explain. There is no point in arguing your point with other people, u know what you believe, leave it at that. It is our DUTY as DISCIPLES, to spread the word of christ and the kingdom, those are COMMANDS. We need more workers and the kingdom, its not the sinners that are the problem, its the LACK of willing christians, we fear being ridiculed, or being embarrassed, some of us fear battling demons, but we should never be ashamed of representing christ. We have the power and authority given to us by god, so even if we do encounter a demon, there is never a power struggle because as disciple we have the power. We need to push past our fears, insecurities and doubts and be COURAGEOUS in the spirit. Let the father lead us, and never forget that he is ALWAYS with us.

Reactions: Lively Stone

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And after Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and debate with them, Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question.
(Act 15:2)

And after there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, "Brothers, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.
(Act 15:7)

And he entered the synagogue and for three months spoke boldly, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.
(Act 19:8)

I think it is in the manner in which it is done. With a heart or with a stone?

Tkinnie

May 15, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the replies, in referencing to the bible, there is nothing to debate, GODS word is GODS word, you cant argue the truth, there is no point. "He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me." There is nothing to debate about, in regards to the things of GOD. It's not about getting a point across, if anything one should reveal the truth, and leave it at that, its up to the other person to accept it, its not our jobs to try to convince them other wise, UNLESS god gives u instruction.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Tim, you asked a question, and I will answer that first. Why debate; in my case it is a way for me to do as Jesus told me to do. I am to give a word, and debating with people about God gives me the opportunity to share.

You have it right; debating what man teaches one about God is futile. Jesus once told me to tell people that no matter who tells them anything about God be it a priest, bishop or anyone we were to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong.

Christians are to be taught about God by God. If we would let God teach us about him then the forums would be about sharing what Jesus has taught each of us.

(1 John 2:27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you, the anointing he gave teaches you everything; you are anointed with truth, not a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing to debate from God-to-man vantage point. But Paul viewed it necessary from man-to-man as I showed in the Acts passages. Are we more 'spritual' than Paul?

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that no man knows all of the things of God. Debating is a way to sharpen our spiritual swords and to grow in wisdom and knowledge. Apollos was a very knowledgeable eloquent man of God who boldly proclaimed the Word of God but he was also humble enough to heed the teachings of two simple God-fearing disciples:

Act 18:25 This man (Apollos) was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
Act 18:26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

We all should, likewise in our scriptural debates, take care to foster a similar 'teachable spirit' within us so that the Word of God may be more perfectly expounded unto us.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
A sincere question...so please, don't call me Satan or accuse me of trying to cause discord, but what does everyone believe this verse is saying?

Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

I think other translations say differently, but that's from the KJV.

God bless.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A sincere question...so please, don't call me Satan or accuse me of trying to cause discord, but what does everyone believe this verse is saying?

Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

God bless.

Please cease with the "everyone's about to call me Satan" syndrome. It's becoming obnoxious!

Strongs Concordance:

DEBATE

G2054
ἔρις
eris
er'-is
Of uncertain affinity; a quarrel, that is, (by implication) wrangling: - contention, debate, strife, variance.
--

There's a vast difference between having a civil debate and discourse on scriptural matters and contentious quarrels and strife. Hence, why other translations use a different word than "debate" than the venerable KJV.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Please cease with the "everyone's about to call me Satan" syndrome. It's becoming obnoxious!

I am a bit sad James, I thought you were different, but it seems you too want to personally attack me and put me down. I am a person and I have feelings too you know. There is no love in such comments as attacking someone.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

God bless.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a bit sad James, I thought you were different, but it seems you too want to personally attack me and put me down. I am a person and I have feelings too you know. There is no love in such comments as attacking someone.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

God bless.

May the Peace of God be with you!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God bless.

It is the Greek word 'eris' and simply means strife debate, discord. There are civil ways to carry on disagreements and there are ways which engender strife. The passage is referring to the latter, not a passivity of allowing falsehoods to go unchecked.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
It is the Greek word 'eris' and simply means strife debate, discord. There are civil ways to carry on disagreements and there are ways which engender strife. The passage is referring to the latter, not a passivity of allowing falsehoods to go unchecked.

Thank you prism.

God bless.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Why do I like debate? I love to test my ideas against smart, educated people who disagree with me. If there is any inconsistency or weakness to my view, its a terrific way to uncover it. And on the other hand, if through the debate I can impart some small bit of knowledge to someone else, this is good also.

In short, iron sharpens iron.

Love in Christ,
mark

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do I like debate? I love to test my ideas against smart, educated people who disagree with me. If there is any inconsistency or weakness to my view, its a terrific way to uncover it. And on the other hand, if through the debate I can impart some small bit of knowledge to someone else, this is good also.

In short, iron sharpens iron.

Love in Christ,
mark

Extremely well stated! I look forward to more of your posts, Mark.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Thank you, James!

I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!

Love in Christ,
Mark

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
In reference to debating...there are 2 classes of people:

1. Spiritually immature, or lost people, people who lack love, and intolerant people who when are challenged resort to personal insults and personal attacks instead of focusing on the topic being debated.

2. Spiritually mature and born again Christian, who have sincere love in their heart...people who respect people's rights to have their own belief and interpretation of Scripture, and who never resort to personal insult or personal attacks just because someone may challenge or disagree with their teachings.

Now you all will recognize the class 1 from class 2.

God bless.

Reactions: marks