Why did David take Goliath's head to Jerusalem?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Samuel 17:

54a David took the Philistine’s head and brought it to Jerusalem.
Gill:

why he carried it to Jerusalem is not easy to say, this not being a royal city, nor was it wholly in the hands of the Israelites; part of it indeed was in the possession of Judah and Benjamin, but the stronghold of Zion was possessed by the Jebusites; and it is generally thought that it was to the terror of them that the head of Goliath was carried there.
David took Goliath's head to Jerusalem to terrorize the Jubusties who lived there at the time.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Samuel 17:

Gill:

David took Goliath's head to Jerusalem to terrorize the Jubusties who lived there at the time.
I've heard it said that "the place of the skull", Golgotha, referred to the place Goliath's head was buried.

Much love!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Samuel 17:

Gill:

That is merely unbiblical speculation by you and gill. It is dangerous to declare as fact speculations that can be anywhere from 0-100% wrong!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a souvenir of the war.

Some GIs brought home bayonets, flags, and Lugers from WWII; David brought back his enemy's head on a pike.

It'll look great over the mantle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More likely a trophy to show the Israelites what a mighty warrior he was; David had ambitions to be king. But also to encourage the Israelites that their enemies, as personalized by Goliath, could be defeated.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why did David take Goliath's head to Jerusalem?​

To roll it off the mountain :contemplate:

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
spec·u·la·tion
[ˌspekyəˈlāSHən]
noun
  1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence:
Who decides what is "firm evidence"?

By the way, I am in the process of looking for what is technically called an operational definition, which is why I am asking this series of questions. It has to do with sticking to precision.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who decides what is "firm evidence"?

By the way, I am in the process of looking for what is technically called an operational definition, which is why I am asking this series of questions. It has to do with sticking to precision.
I think you are wading way to deep into philosophy. If you do not know what firm evidence is by now, I do not know if I can help you.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Operational definition has more to do with logic and hermeneutics than philosophy. See A Disciplined Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics
Well if you think that is how God operatred with the apostles and disciples and the common folk throughout the ages- enjoy yourself.

I went to bible college taught in bible College and co-created a bible institute. We taught hermeneutics but none of this high fancy stuff you keep listing. Maybe we did, but just out of common sense than a philosophical approach.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well if you think that is how God operatred with the apostles and disciples and the common folk
You are right. No, I don't.

I went to bible college taught in bible College and co-created a bible institute. We taught hermeneutics but none of this high fancy stuff you keep listing.
Right. It is my approach to hermeneutics. The advantage of my approach is that if all the participants agree to follow it, there will be less argumentative bickering. It is a more disciplined and logical approach to hermeneutics.

Maybe we did, but just out of common sense than a philosophical approach.
Sure. In some sense, it is a philosophical approach.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. It is my approach to hermeneutics. The advantage of my approach is that if all the participants agree to follow it, there will be less argumentative bickering. It is a more disciplined and logical approach to hermeneutics.
Well who said it is best? Maybe for you and your intellectual bent, but for most folks- you will eave them behind at the starting gate. I learned alot of that philosophical jargon and methods decades ago, and gave it all up. Why? Because for over 95% of the people it will not reach them at all.