Why did God favor Abel's offering over Cain's?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 4:

Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. 3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. 4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor.
Abel offered his best with faith and Cain didn't. Cain knew better. He acted unrighteously:

8 Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.” While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
Hebrews 11:

4a By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 4:

Abel offered his best with faith and Cain didn't. Cain knew better. He acted unrighteously:

Hebrews 11:
I don't think this can easily be explained. God is not against offerings from the field, nor does He consider animal offerings better than offerings from the field.

For me, it is simply that Abel had genuine faith in his offering things to God. Cain did not. This is not, obviously, just a matter of belief in God. Both Cain and Abel believed in God. Rather, it was a matter of a certain kind of faith in which a person pleases God.

What is this faith that pleases God? It is the offering of one's self, along with our offerings, as opposed to maintaining control over our own lives while giving offerings to God. If we are not really offering *ourselves,* God is not pleased.

The only kind of faith God loves and respects is the kind of faith that recognizes God Himself as the true source of righteousness, while our own self-autonomy is rejected by God as corrupt.

The point of the verse is not, I think, which kind of offering is best? No, I think it is: who did God recognize had the kind of faith that pleased Him?

I suppose we could dig deeper to speculate on a few points. One, God had cursed the ground. Maybe Cain was offering the fruit of the ground with no acknowledgment of the curse upon human works? Maybe Abel better understood from the sacrifice of his animal that his gift was unworthy, and required God's mercy?

Last edited: