Why did God put humans on earth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's a simple question but perhaps CB members have various interesting opinions?
A follow-up question is- Where were we before we were put on earth?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's a simple question but perhaps CB members have various interesting opinions?
A follow-up question is- Where were we before we were put on earth?

Because he loves us. We were created to live in a relationship with God and with each other.
So unless we were born here on earth we would not experience that love.
There is no pre existent state for the unborn.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..There is no pre existent state for the unborn.

On the other hand some people believe our souls have always existed and are immortal, a speculation that seems to be summed up by this verse where God says to Jeremiah-
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5)

Reactions: Mr E

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
On the other hand some people believe our souls have always existed and are immortal, a speculation that seems to be summed up by this verse where God says to Jeremiah-

Or a biblical interpretation of God foreknowledge.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a learning experience, to have a body and learn how to master it in the commandments of God. And it is a time of the judgment of God. To sift the wheat from the chaff.

Reactions: Windmillcharge

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is true for His people, God has foreknown His family, who they are and what they will be and do as He is our creator-designer.

But for the others, they have no relationship with God being outside of His covenants which is also by design.
And Christ tells them He never knew them and to depart from Him.
Unbelievers, they stumble on the Rock of offense, which is Christ, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.
They are the children of Satan, but we were always the children of God, in His mind and plans as He foreknew us and we must be saved and not lost.

Why did God save you? Because God foreknew you from before time began as His own possession, a member of His family.
Honestly you would expect nothing less than for God to both know and to do that as God leaves nothing to random chance, and everything God does is for His eternal purpose and glory.

Romans 8:29
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 11:2
God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew

1 Peter 2:7-9
New King James Version

7 Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient,

“The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone,”

8 and

“A stone of stumbling
And a rock of offense.”

They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.

9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

1 Peter 1:2
elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

2 Thessalonians 2:13-15
13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, 14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

2 Timothy 1:9-10
9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..God has foreknown His family, who they are and what they will be and do as He is our creator-designer.
..But for the others, they have no relationship with God being outside of His covenants which is also by design..

Let me rephrase my original question-
Why did God put his family on earth if they're already his and therefore saved?
Likewise, why did he put the others (non-family) on earth too?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is logically equivalent to, “What is the purpose of Creation?”

"Just a simple question", the man says. Life, the universe, and everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Q. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.
- Westminster Shorter Catechism

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let me rephrase my original question-
Why did God put his family on earth if they're already his and therefore saved?
Likewise, why did he put the others (non-family) on earth too?
You are not God to know the reason as you do not have His mind to be His councilor.
One reasonable explanation is for the glory of God. God by His nature is glorious, we may have a harder time relating to is as we are finite limited creatures.
It is glorious of God to extend mercy to some, and not some others, but to show to the rebellious sons of disobedience His judgement.
God as a creator has the right to do whatever He wants with His own stuff.

All the above are actually scriptural.

Some themes
================================================
Ezekiel 18:4
“Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father As well as the soul of the son is Mine; The soul who sins shall die.
================================================
Matthew 20:14-16
14 Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?’ 16 So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.”
=================================================
Romans 9:21-24

21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
==================================================
Romans 11
25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”

28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience, 31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy. 32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has become His counselor?”
35 “Or who has first given to Him
And it shall be repaid to him?”

36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.
====================================================

1 Corinthians 2:16
For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
====================================================

2 Corinthians 3

Glory of the New Covenant
7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God knows when He births you on this world as a human being, you will sin, and that the soul who sins will die.
God knows we are all sinners doomed to sin, fail God and perish in the Lake of Fire.
So then it is for the glory of God to show mercy and love and save some, since all are doomed and are as children of wrath.
God saves those He has foreknown as His own. We dont comprehend that as we dont have perfect knowledge and we also do not create things that dont exist as though they did, but God does do that. God made a decision to be merciful to some and it is described as God extending to them His great love to differentiate us from the children of wrath

Ephesians 2
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 John 4:9
In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him.

The above points out who is the target of the Love of God and it was so that WE MIGHT LIVE through Christ the Son of God.
This is in total agreement with John 3:16

The world though HATES the FATHER and the SON
John 15
18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.

22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 He who hates Me hates My Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father. 25 But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, ‘They hated Me without a cause.’

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It was a mistake:

"And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart." - [Genesis 6:6]

Reactions: Lambano

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

It was a mistake:

"And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart." - [Genesis 6:6]
That is sort of funny.
God though actually has a family. That also includes things in heaven and on earth.
Just like we hopefully love and care for our own, God does that too. We were created in His likeness.

Ephesians 3
14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

1 Timothy 5:8
But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Since we are of His family, God provides for His own.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where were we before we were put on earth?
  1. step (1): God makes dirt
    • "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." - [Genesis 1:1]
  2. step (2): God makes man
    • "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." - [Genesis 2:7]
  3. step (3): God makes woman
    • "Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man." - [Genesis 2:22]

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Romans 8 on the children of God

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

And another reason for why God predestined some, for the sake of Christ having a family
Romans 8:29
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And more so along the same theme.
Christ aids to salvation the true children (seed) of Abraham who do love God.
It is more proof of why Christ came to save believers, the children of God scattered abroad
=========================================================
John 11:49-53
49 And one of them, Caiaphas, being high priest that year, said to them, “You know nothing at all, 50 nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish.” 51 Now this he did not say on his own authority; but being high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the nation, 52 and not for that nation only, but also that He would gather together in one the children of God who were scattered abroad.

53 Then, from that day on, they plotted to put Him to death.

=========================================================
Hebrews 2
10 For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11 For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, 12 saying:

I will declare Your name to My brethren;
In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.”

13 And again:

“I will put My trust in Him.”

And again:

Here am I and the children whom God has given Me.”

14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. 17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 5, Jesus tells the unbelieving, why they do not believe, basically they are not of His sheep (people, family), whom He saves.
If you do not have HIS Living Word in your heart (born again so then an adopted child of God), when Christ appears, Him you do not believe, your mind is blinded by Satan to the glorious light of the gospel and you are perishing in your sins.

===================================
2 Corinthians 4
3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
=====================================
John 5
37 And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. 38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
Matthew 1:21
And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”
Matthew 1:23
“Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”