Why divorce is not an option for Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be a Christian is to follow Christ. To follow Him we must love Him. To love Him is to surrender our life to Him. To surrender our life to Him is to live a life that is His, and not ours. This means that we do and think what He does and thinks. We know that God is always faithful to us although we have been unfaithful to Him, and rejected Him by our sins. Furthermore, He sacrificed His own life so that we may be free of sin and have His life. To be a Christian, therefore, is to do likewise. In addition, since it is God who seals the marriage covenant no one can separate what God has joined together (Matt 19:6); and those who attempt to break this seal go against God. Divorce is therefore, absolutely prohibited for believers (Mk 10:11-12, Luke 16:18; Matthew 5: 31-32); and remarriage after divorce is adultery. Furthermore, a person whose spouse is unfaithful to him/her must stay faithful to his/her spouse just as God is faithful to us even when we reject Him (Hosea 3:1). God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16) and is not pleased with the offerings of those who divorce their spouse (Malachi 2: 13-14). Jesus tells us that before making offering to God, we must reconcile with those with whom we have grievances (Matt. 5: 23-24). Therefore, a divorced person must first reconcile with his/her spouse before making an offering to the Lord.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
God realizes, though, that since marriages involve two sinful human beings, divorces are going to occur.In the Old Testament, He laid down some laws in order to protect the rights of divorcees, especially women (Deuteronomy 24:1-4). Jesus pointed out that these laws were given because of the hardness of people’s hearts, not because they were God’s desire (Matthew 19:8).the Greek word translated “marital unfaithfulness” is a word which can mean any form of sexual immorality. It is can mean fornication, prostitution, adultery, etc. Jesus is possibly saying that divorce is permissible if sexual immorality is committed. Sexual relations are an integral part of the marital bond: “the two will become one flesh” (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5; Ephesians 5:31). Therefore, any breaking of that bond by sexual relations outside of marriage might be a permissible reason for divorce. If so, Jesus also has remarriage in mind in this passage. The phrase “and marries another” (Matthew 19:9) indicates that divorce and remarriage are allowed Some understand 1 Corinthians 7:15 as another “exception,” allowing remarriage if an unbelieving spouse divorces a believer. However, God recognizes that divorce will occur, even among His children. A divorced and/or remarried believer should not feel any less loved by God, even if the divorce and/or remarriage is not covered under the possible exception clause of Matthew 19:9. God himself divorced Israel for her adultery ( idol worship) and divorce is not the unforgivable sin ...And thank heaven he paid for our sins/mistakes and by his grace we are saved. So does God hate divorce yes its painful for all involved can you be forgiven your sin, your slate wiped clean upon repentance yes....

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
God divorced Israel." remarriage after divorce is adultery."What happens when our sins are forgiven? Are they not buried in the depth of the deepest sea, never to be remembered again? Does God go back on His Word? Answer: NO!Is divorce the "unforgiveable sin? Answer: NO!

gumby

May 29, 2009
Well to this i say read John 8:7, John 8:11 and Matthew 5:28. Adultry and divorce are sins and are very hard on people to go through but its not my place to judge freind.

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
arunangelo;74154]To be a Christian is to follow Christ. To follow Him we must love Him. To love Him is to surrender our life to Him. To surrender our life to Him is to live a life that is His said:
Hello Arunangelo,I agree with you that divorce and adultery is a sin. Jesus never agreed that divorce was okay. Marriage is a commitment just like a covenant. Reconciliation is what Jesus always advocated, not divorce. There will always be ups and downs in marriages, but that's also true with life. There will also be ups and downs in a person's life regardless of whether they are married or not. But when a married couple made a vow to be committed to each other, there is always a way to get over whatever problems there is in a marriage. Jesus is the way to solving those problems. When I was a kid, my mother always told me to always turn to Jesus whenever I'm stuck with a huge problem, and she is right. Because Jesus is the Way. We should always ask His help, and He understands because He was able to conquer all temptations and even death. With God all things are possible. Also, God didn't divorce Israel because He doesn't go back on His word or His promises. If God divorced Israel because they sinned against Him, then what does that say about us? Will God also turn His back on us because we sinned? God loves all sinners that He sent His only begotten Son so that all sinners would be saved. He loved all sinners and the world and this included Israel. Peace be with you, Diana

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
Christina;74161]God realizes said:
Deuteronomy 24:1-4[/URL]). Jesus pointed out that these laws were given because of the hardness of people’s hearts, not because they were God’s desire (Matthew 19:8).the Greek word translated “marital unfaithfulness” is a word which can mean any form of sexual immorality. It is can mean fornication, prostitution, adultery, etc. Jesus is possibly saying that divorce is permissible if sexual immorality is committed. Sexual relations are an integral part of the marital bond: “the two will become one flesh” (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5; Ephesians 5:31). Therefore, any breaking of that bond by sexual relations outside of marriage might be a permissible reason for divorce. If so, Jesus also has remarriage in mind in this passage. The phrase “and marries another” (Matthew 19:9) indicates that divorce and remarriage are allowed Some understand 1 Corinthians 7:15 as another “exception,” allowing remarriage if an unbelieving spouse divorces a believer. However, God recognizes that divorce will occur, even among His children. A divorced and/or remarried believer should not feel any less loved by God, even if the divorce and/or remarriage is not covered under the possible exception clause of Matthew 19:9. God himself divorced Israel for her adultery ( idol worship) and divorce is not the unforgivable sin ...And thank heaven he paid for our sins/mistakes and by his grace we are saved. So does God hate divorce yes its painful for all involved can you be forgiven your sin, your slate wiped clean upon repentance yes....
I have to agree with you Christina, I think all of us who read the bible on a regular bases knows that Christ is not in favor of devorce but he is not in favor of wife or child abuse either (Mat.18:6) and I don't believe God would punish a man or women who devorces a child abuser or wife beater as I feel that to believe so is contrary to His very nature, I also believe that there is only one unforgivable sin and divorce isn't it....Ray

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
Diana;74303].... Also said:
Sorry, Diana,Jer 3:6 The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot. Jer 3:7 And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it. Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also. He will also re-marry her. God will not be able to be a member of many Christian churches that look at divorced and remarried couples as second-class citizens.

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
gervais;74314]Sorry said:
The LORD said [/B]also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot. Jer 3:7 And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it. Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also. He will also re-marry her. God will not be able to be a member of many Christian churches that look at divorced and remarried couples as second-class citizens.
Hello Gervais, I never said that God would never forgive the person who divorces or that He treated those who divorce as second class citizen. My post is very clear. It says that God is against divorce...period. He was never for it. This is what Matthew 10:3-6 says: "And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put [her] away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. As you can see from what Jesus said, it was MOSES who allowed divorce, not God. Moses allowed it because of their hardness of heart, but from the beginning of creation......what therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. In here, Jesus was CORRECTING what Moses had done. I agree that God will forgive the sinner, but that still doesn't mean that He approved of divorce. God always loves the sinner, but He disapproves of the sin. Jesus advocates "reconciliation." And God never divorce Israel. God's plan since the beginning was to save mankind from the sins. His plan was not to save Israel only. His plan was to marry Israel so that a savior can be born from her. And this savior was to bring all of mankind together to Him. Christianity was the branch that came from Judaism. Judaism was the root. God married the people of Israel so together they brought forth the Christian people. St. Paul states that if the branch is holy then the root is also holy. Remember that Jesus was a Jew. He was not a Christian. Now, let's look at Romans 11:1-2: Romans 11:1-2 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, [of] the tribe of Benjamin. God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew.Does this biblical verse look like God divorced Israel? Peace be with you, Diana.

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
gervais;74314]Jer 3:6 [B]The LORD said [/B]also unto me in the days of Josiah the king said:
And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce;[/B] yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also. He will also re-marry her. God will not be able to be a member of many Christian churches that look at divorced and remarried couples as second-class citizens.
Hello again Gervais, I see now how you justify divorce. My Christian brother, you should have read further into the verses of Jeremiah. This is what it says in the same chapter after God said He would put away Israel. Jeremiah 3:11-14 And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah. Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; [and] I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I [am] merciful, saith the LORD, [and] I will not keep [anger] for ever. Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD. Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion: As you can see, my brother, God acknowledged that He is still married to Israel under that same chapter. God has always favored and advocated "Reconciliation." And this is what He wants Israel to do. To repent and reconcile with Him. Divorce is against God's commandments. God did not cast Israel aside, and even St. Paul stated this in the New Testament. This, of course, does not mean that a couple is supposed to stay in an abusive relationship. In an abusive relationship, the couple must physically separate. The abuser must get himself/herself counseling. God loves both the victim and the abuser. However, the abuser must get psychological or spiritual help in order for reconciliation to take place. Many times, a person who is abused ends up growing up to become an abuser, which is why he/she needs counseling. I understand that some people here may disagree with this kind of arrangement and would prefer to divorce the abuser, but if a couple can work out their problems and reconcile, that is actually the better way. After all, this is the way God wanted Israel to go - to repent and reconcile with Him. Peace, Diana

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
God hates it yes but he also gave acceptable reasons for a divorce He died for all sins even divorce ... And he did scatter Israel because she did not change her ways ...

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
[quote name='Christina;74326]Divorce is not against God if it were it would be the unforgivable sin and its not God hates it yes but he also gave acceptable reasons for a divorce He died for all sins even divorce ... And he did scatter Israel because she did not change her ways ...[/QUOTE] What do you mean "Divorce is not against God?" The Scripture is very clear. God is against divorce because divorce is a sin' date=' and God did not give any acceptable reasons for it. Jesus corrected Moses when Moses allowed divorce. Jesus stated that it was because of their hardness of hearts that Moses allowed divorce. Jesus never said that God allowed divorce. Yes, Israel is scattered when they sin. When a person sins, there are consequences to those sins. Didn't you know what happened to Adam and Eve when they disobeyed God? They got kicked out of the Garden of Eden. That was the consequence of their sin. However, God did not abandoned them just as He did not abandon Israel. God does not abandon humanity, and He forgives sins because He is all merciful. God did not abandon Israel despite her many sins. This is why in the Book of Jeremiah, He says that He is still married to Israel and wants Israel to repent her sins. As you can see from the Holy Bible, which is the Word of God, St. Pauls says: Romans 11:1-2 then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, [of'] the tribe of Benjamin. God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew.It is clear from the Letter of St. Paul to the Romans that God did not abandon or cast aside His people. God is love, and God is able to love people who abused Him, persecuted Him, and rejected Him. All this was done to Jesus and still He loved them and forgave them. God calls all of us to have this kind of love, but this kind of love is impossible for man to obtain. It is only possible to have this kind of love when you have God's spirit in you. My sister, I am a Catholic. I don't know what your church teaches you, but the Catholic Church teaches that the unforgivable sin spoken about in the Bible (Matthew 12:31) is when you say that you have absolutely no sins at all. That is what the Catholic Church teaches. All other sins are forgivable including divorce and adultery. Peace be with you, Diana

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Nothing personal but that is not the unforgivable sin and I never said God abandon or cast aside His people I said he divorved Israel for her adulterous ways and he scattered them. He will take her again as his wife/bride but this has not occured yet. And just as I said Divorce is a forgivable ... These things are what the bible teaches it may not be what your church teaches. However God Word has no demoninations other than Christ it was written for all Gods children ...I follow Gods Word not a church doctrine ..I have no problem with you following your religions teachings ..but I will disagree when its not Gods word God Bless

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
Christina;74329 said:
Nothing personal but niether one of those things is what the bible teaches its what your church teaches God Word has no demoninations other than Christ it was written for all Gods children ...I follow Gods Word not church doctrine ..I have no problem with you following your religions teachings ..but I will disagree when its not Gods word God Bless
I am sorry, Christina, but my church teaches what the Bible teaches. It is clear from Scripture that God is against divorce. Jesus already said that anyone who puts away his spouse and marrys another is committing adultery, and that is found in Scripture. Divorce and adultery is a sin. "Thou shalt not commit adultery" is even one of the Ten Commandments. God never allowed divorce because what God has put together, no man should separate. I have already given biblical scripture where it says that God did not set aside Israel and that God is still married to Israel and wants Israel to repent of her sins. Those Scriptures is the word of God. God is not a hypocrite. He is not going to give us a commandment saying "Thou shalt not commit adultery" and then turn around and divorce Israel and marry the Christian people. You, on the other, hand have only stated your own opinion that "divorce is not against God" but you provided no biblical scripture to support it. However, I do agree with you that divorce and adultery is a forgivable sin. And for a person to say that he/she is not a sinner is a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because only the Holy Spirit (who is also God) is the only one who is holy and perfect. We are not holy nor perfect. We are not God. What does your church say is the unforgivable sin? How did your church interpret Matthew 12:31?Peace be with you, Diana

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Diana;74331]I am sorry said:
I understand why you believe this but every church says the same thing so it means little except to you and others of your belief. So even while understandable it proves nothing ... Matthew 12:31 - Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. Matthew 12:32 - And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. This is repeated twice for emphasis If we look closely at the verses here they are sort of two sections and on the surface they seem to be almost contradictory read the parts I put in green above. It clearly says ALL forms of blasphemy will be forgiven men .....ALL Forms ALL men will be forgiven So what is this second part that says one is not only unforgiven but will never in the world or the next ever be forgiven ... That is the same sentence that was given Satan how can this be that if someone blasphemies the Holy spirit they receive the same sentence as Satan.... that's as bad as you can get... this is very serious in Gods eyes and he said it twice to make sure it was heard... Everyone saved has the Christ spirit in them yet every man is forgiven all form of Blasphemy. So what are we talking about?? Lets set a little foundation here first... lets understand this is a future event .. Second..No man has yet ever been judged not the Pharisees or Sadducee's not Judas no one and they wont be until the Great white throne Judgement which is after the millennium So what does blasphemy against the Holy Ghost/spirit mean When are we told of the Holy Ghost/Spirit coming on to men in an important event?? The answer is on Pentecost Day.Acts tells of this Holy Ghost and what it is and what happens when it comes on you Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. This was a great miracle and it only happens twice in the Word of God regardless of men say this only happens two times in scripture once on Pentecost day and once in Mark 13:11 Mar 13:10 And the gospel must first be published among all nations. So this verse places us in the latter days because first the Gospel had to preached around the World this is our time setting Mar 13:11 But when they shall lead [you], and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost. This is a time in the future when the Elect are called up put on trial before Antichrist(Satan) do not premeditate what you will say the Holy Ghost will speak through you if you deny this with full knowledge of what you are doing to save your physical life you will lose it as you have Blasphemed the Holy Spirit/ Ghost. This is the unforgivable sin it can only be committed once and only by the Elect (called up ones) (For an better understanding one might think of this sin as something that would be equivalent/compared to ..IF.. the Apostles themselves had commited blasphemy against Christ after they were given full knowledge on Pentecost Day)................................................................................................................. and I never said God abandon or cast aside His people I said he divorved Israel for her adulterous ways and he scattered them. He will take her again as his wife/bride but this has not occured yet.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Hello Diana Im not understanding the point of this topic,God is against all manner of sin,so why may I ask are you singling out divorce? Are you saying that one should stay married no matter what? If one was getting the crap beat out of them everyday,would God expect them to stay in that marraige and just pray they don't get beat tomorrow? I don't think so...therefore divorce is an option...and for that all one has to do is repent,or are you telling me God does not forgive divorced people....

gumby

May 29, 2009
I have to agree with christina here denominations lead to nowhere as there all man made. Christ didnt have a denomination and neither do i because mans denominations tend to throw in a lot of junk thats not scriptural. Christ has the power to forgive ALL sins, 1st John 1:7.

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
arunangelo;74154]To be a Christian is to follow Christ. To follow Him we must love Him. To love Him is to surrender our life to Him. To surrender our life to Him is to live a life that is His said:
Scripture does not support this stance.Jesus declared that divorce was acceptable when one of the party was guilty of Sexual sin.Matthew 532 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.Jesus clearly states here that divorce is ok when the reason behind it is the sexual sin of one partner. The thinking that divorce is not allowed under any circumstance is a tradition of man not the Word of God.All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
n2thelight;74334]Hello Diana Im not understanding the point of this topic said:
Ok to be ballanced i must say that you do not need to divorce a person to leave them and get away from physical abuse. Many people live apart without divorcing. Jesus said that only where one partner comits sexual sin is divorce justified. Also Paul stated that Divorce is ok if an unbelieving partner no longer wishes to remain married to a believer. 1 Corinthians 712 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. 13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
n2thelight;74334]Hello Diana Im not understanding the point of this topic said:
If you had read my previous post, you would have known that I had already said that in an abusive relationship, the couple should be physically separated until the abuser gets counseling and change his/her ways so reconciliation can take place. In other words, couples who live apart from each other as long as they don't divorce is acceptable. Why am I singling out divorce? Excuse me, but what is the topic of this thread? Is it not about divorce? And by the way, I was not the one who started this thread but I do have a right to make comments, do I not? You say that "divorce is an option...and for that all one has to do is repent." Are you saying that it's okay to go ahead and divorce all you want because God will forgive you anyway????? Is that how it goes? Are Christians supposed to take the attitude and mentality that it's okay to sin as long as you repent because God is going to forgive you anyway? My brother, do you not know that God is fully aware of what is in your heart and attitude? Do you not know that God can have mercy on whomever He wants and not just on everyone? It says so in the Bible (See Romans 9:15 and Romans 9:18). Did you not know that in the Book of Josha, it says that God can choose not to forgive (See Jos. 24:19-20). Jos. 24:19-20 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he [is] an holy God; he [is] a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then he will turn and do you hurt, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.God is not a fool. He knows every man's heart. He knows if one is truely sincere or simply taking advantage of Him. Did you not know that Jesus told His Apostles that they have the right to forgive sins and to retain sins (John 20:23). And this is coming from Jesus instructing His Apostles to do this.John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; [and] whose soever [sins] ye retain, they are retained. As Christians, are we supposed to take the attitude and mentality that we can go ahead and commit whatever sins we want because all we need to do is just repent and God will forgive us anyway? God is not a fool. As Christians, don't you think that we should be sincere in our hearts and detest our sins.Peace, Diana

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
Adstar;74338 said:
Scripture does not support this stance.Jesus declared that divorce was acceptable when one of the party was guilty of Sexual sin.Matthew 532 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.Jesus clearly states here that divorce is ok when the reason behind it is the sexual sin of one partner. The thinking that divorce is not allowed under any circumstance is a tradition of man not the Word of God.All Praise The Ancient Of Days
And what is sexual immorality? If by sexual immorality, you mean fornication with another person, isn't that the same thing as committing adultry? If a married man or woman committed fornication with another person, isn't that the same thing as adultry? Isn't cheating on your spouse the same thing as adultery? Didn't Jesus say that by looking at another person with lust in your heart, a person is already committing adultery? So, if a person only looks with lust in his/her heart, and that is already considered adultery, then what do you call having sex with someone (sexual immorality), you are not married with? The Gospels of Mark and Luke is much more straightforward (Mark 10:11-12 and Luke 16:18).