Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because there really are no "distinctions", - nothing but dishonest Roman Catholic "Word Games". You go to your Mary thing for help, not Jesus. You rely on your Mary thing to Arm-twist Jesus, and Father God to give you what you want, and you load your phony "Blessed virgin thing" with all sorts of TITLES, when the only one that really matters is: Jesus' physical mother.
Is your own mother just physical? Is that all that really matters???

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Because there really are no "distinctions", - nothing but dishonest Roman Catholic "Word Games". You go to your Mary thing for help, not Jesus. You rely on your Mary thing to Arm-twist Jesus, and Father God to give you what you want, and you load your phony "Blessed virgin thing" with all sorts of TITLES, when the only one that really matters is: Jesus' physical mother.
You sure are mad at the CC Carabbio.
Are you this mad at other denominations that teach odd ideas?
Some are VERY odd ideas...

And do you think God Father and God Son are happy with how you portray the woman that gave birth to God incarnated, the 2nd Person of the Trinity, the Son of God?

"Your Mary thing"
"to arm-twist Jesus" to give us what we want...I think you're confusing the CC with the Word of Faith movement that REALLY does this.
"phony blessed virgin thing" when the N.T. (Luke) states that Mary is Blessed and is the favored one of God...Luke 1:28

And to think that GOD, the 3rd Person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit is the Father of Jesus!
Luke 1:35

I'd say that is MUCH MORE than JUST the Mother of Jesus.
I'd say God won't be too happy with those that think as you do when they're standing in front of Him.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
In Scripture, the term “worship” was similarly broad in meaning, but in the early Christian centuries, theologians began to differentiate between different types of honor in order to make more clear which is due to God and which is not.

As the terminology of Christian theology developed, the Greek term latria came to be used to refer to the honor that is due to God alone, and the term dulia came to refer to the honor that is due to human beings, especially the saints. Scripture indicates that honor is due to these individuals (Matt. 10:41b). A special term was coined to refer to the special honor given to the Virgin Mary, who bore Jesus—God in the flesh—in her womb. This term, hyperdulia (huper [more than]+ dulia = “beyond dulia”), indicates that the honor due to her as Christ’s own Mother is more than the dulia given to other saints. It is greater in degree, but since Mary is a finite creature, the honor she is due is fundamentally different from the latria owed to the infinite Creator.

Another attempt to make clear the difference between the honor due to God and that due to humans has been to use the words adore and adoration to describe the total, consuming reverence due to God and the terms venerate, veneration, and honor to refer to the respect due humans. Thus, Catholics sometimes say, “We adore God but we honor his saints.”

Unfortunately, many non-Catholics appear unable or unwilling to recognize these distinctions. They confidently assert that Catholics “worship” Mary and the saints, and, in so doing, commit idolatry. This is patently false, but the education in anti-Catholic prejudice is so strong that one must patiently explain that Catholics do not worship anyone but God—at least given the contemporary use of the term. The Church is very strict about the fact that latria, adoration—what contemporary English speakers call “worship”—is to be given only to God.

Saint Worship?

catholics-dont-worship-mary.jpg

Virgin Mary Appreciation Thread
Good post.
And it might be helpful for some that are reading along and so these posts DO have to appear in these threads.

Even if it is impossible for some to understand the difference between
ADORATION
WORSHIP

I'm rather sorry for those that don't give Mary, the mother of our Savior, her just due...
since GOD DID.

Perhaps some never read Luke 1...

Reactions: Illuminator

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Finally! We have a statement about Mary deserving worship!! I always heard it was venerate, and "we don't worship Mary". Well, you admitted you do.
Why FINALLY!
You're happy the other poster made a simple mistake because it suits your needs?

MARY IS NOT WORSHIPPED IN THE CC !!

Which part of NOT WORSHIPPED do you not understand?

ONLY GOD IS WORSHIPPED.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?
They've had the wool pulled over their eyes. It's another of many attempts at eclipsing Jesus.....even relegating him to a position of unapproachable.....by substituting Saints, Mary, indulgences, penance and what not else ....all making Jesus as God's means of salvation insufficient.
Be nice quietthinker...I like you.

No wool pulled over Catholic eyes.
Doctrines are as plain as day.
You could agree or disagree with them, but there's no wool in sight.

And Jesus is not eclipsed.
He's spoken of at every Mass I attend, and I never really hear about Mary unless it's a special holiday, like the ascension.

Your last sentence would make for good conversation...
but I find Catholicism cannot be discussed as two mature adults should be able to,,,
I've never understood why.

It always becomes nasty, just like this thread.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This is akin to saying "for those who think the LGBT lifestyles are abominations, they should keep believing that and move on. For the rest of us who know they are perfectly natural lifestyles, we know we're not committing a sin so we move on too. Everybody's happy. Problem solved."

Well, guess what? The God of the Bible is far from happy. And because i choose to believe what He says over the presumptuous, ignorant, and self-willed words of individuals who place personal traditions and beliefs above God's words, i am also pretty far from happy. No real Christian would make such an asinine argument, because real Christians knows the sins of a community affects everybody else around them. Did God not destroy the Pre-Flood world, Sodom, Gomorrah, the surrounding towns, and the Canaanites because they all thought their sins weren't hurting anyone else? I have news for you: sins that are committed by an entire community pollutes the very land that community lives on. So says God(Psa. 106:38, Jer. 3:1-2, Gen. 6:11-12, Lev. 18:24-25, 27).

When God said "don't make graven images", that means exactly what it sounds like: "no graven images". That's a pretty straightforward commandment that doesn't need anyone's opinions or interpretations on what constitutes idolatry. Using your incredibly erroneous logic, God was out of bounds for accusing the Israelites in Exo. 32 of idolatry, even though none of them prayed to it or bowed to it.

The fact that the statues are religiously venerated is what makes their very existence idolatrous in nature. That's why Paul said the 10 commandments are spiritual(Rom. 7:14). There is a lot more to idolatry than the literal act of praying or bowing to something, and this consistently goes over the heads of Catholics and Protestants alike because they want to reduce God's commandments to being rituals that have no importance. God's commandments concerns a person's thinking as well as their actions. The very 1st commandment prohibits idolatry because the other 9 commandments are always broken as a direct result of people placing their own will above God's authority.
Did Jesus love His mother? Absolutely. Did He put her on a pedestal? Absolutely not. Jesus gave her the respect she was due as His mother and that was it. What He didn't do was elevate her to a point where adoring her became more important than obeying His Father. Christ Himself said that a human mother cannot be allowed to become more important than God(Matt. 19:29, Mar. 10:29-30, Luk. 14:26), and His own mother was not excluded from that company.

Whether you believe it or not, there are at least 2 recorded incidents that shows Jesus completely ignoring Mary's personal requests. One of them was at the wedding in Cana(Jhn. 2:4), while the other was at a time where Mary and Jesus' younger brothers came to speak with Him while He was already lecturing a crowd(Matt. 12:47-50, Luk. 8:19-21). Both Catholics and Protestants need to realize that Jesus came to put the Father on a pedestal, not Himself or any human woman.
At Cana the water turned to wine.
And if you don't understand Matthew 12:47-50, you could go ahead and study it a bit.
Pay particular attention to verse 50.

Jesus always honored His mother and earthly father.
Jesus did not break even one commandment....not even no. 6.

And the Son of God certainly would like us to honor His mother also,
instead of demeaning her constantly.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My problem that I see that crosses lines from honoring Mary and worshipping Mary, is the rosary and saying "Hail Mary" multiple times. This is worship and I see that as crossing a line.

Reactions: Cassandra

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And also praying to Mary and saints. I believe this is a wrong thing to do. The only Heavenly One that can do anything for anyone is God. And to support praying to saints, you have to look outside the Bible, because the Bible points in the direction of praying to the Father in Jesus Name.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
My problem that I see that crosses lines from honoring Mary and worshipping Mary, is the rosary and saying "Hail Mary" multiple times. This is worship and I see that as crossing a line.
Hail Mary means Hello Mary.

If anyone IS worshipping Mary, they are not following church teaching.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hail Mary means Hello Mary.

If anyone IS worshipping Mary, they are not following church teaching.

Hello Mary? I thought you turned a bead and said hail Mary with each bead. I'm not Catholic, but this is what my aunt had described to me what a rosary is for. So it is saying "hello Mary" so you say it like thirty times or do I misunderstand that?

One time I worked at Target and a friend was Catholic. He believed that if he read the Bible, worms would eat out his eyes. I had to explain to him that I read the Bible daily and that never happened with me. I don't think that is an average Catholic teaching, but that was pretty weird. I am sure there are different sects in Catholicism.

But I also do not read the Apocrypha either or know what that is about.

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't tell me what I need to do. Simple fact--you got busted.
Perhaps you should be more careful in what you write.
Awfully sexist comment you made. I hold up pretty well.
You are the one who gets all bent out of shape.
2mQfbIDRGHmiVdp6ls1WScdZrmiGIQ6AdzUpOY5Fls6Dz4N49R1JSxp_tmRFCf66dCUt8NKDEFO9vzYjzE6IaJxteWqJxq7AtcdiuDOx6qgMqPxDgqAGdfE8dhESGz64WQ3qvHR_

Not sexist but apologetics is a difficult subject requiring the ability to think, most woman emote as you did in this post, for example if I said it behooved

He must grant her prayers and requests
That’s a commandment!

honor Thy father and mother!

she is also our mother!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To answer the question poised in the thread:
"Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?"
Because they have been taught lies and do not know the truth.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adore....reverence.....worship.....venerate.....love.....pray to....I say it is a fine line.
I am a Miriam fan! I have met her and she has spoken to me.....Nothing like it, radiant love! Purity that emanates from her heart.
She saved me and several other seal team members in a fire fight in Iraq, just by pointing the right way to turn.
Another time after watching some Moslems tack a mother and her kids to a wall with machine guns I stormed a window that had three or four of 'em shooting at me. I jumped through that window and shot them all. I know she had to of done something with those bullets that were coming at me. One of my team members grabbed a hold of me after that and exclaimed....there is no way you should have lived through that!
This gal has grit!
I have heard stories of her leading children out of the line of fire during the war of Bosnia Herzegovina.....Medjugorje.
Hail, Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

So....why-do-catholics-adore-worship-and-deify-mary-so-much?
How many miracles, aberrations, visitations over the years....how many witnesses? And most do not even know how many miracles have occurred in South America.
What would it take for Protestants to believe? Regardless of how you classify her, she has been very active over the entire history of Christianity. But all of that occurs after the biblical era. So with the Bible only....Fundamentalist theological methodology....the Protestants miss out.
Is it a sin to deny Miriam? I don't think so. At the time of the Protestant reform...."the Bible only reset" shutdown a lot of corruption and atrocities....so it needed to happen. But when you take an axe that big to Christian history....you are going to lose a lot of the good.
The wise will consider the work of our Lord's mother.

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To answer the question poised in the thread:
"Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?"
Because they have been taught lies and do not know the truth.

What lies?

“lies list” “Truth list”

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2mQfbIDRGHmiVdp6ls1WScdZrmiGIQ6AdzUpOY5Fls6Dz4N49R1JSxp_tmRFCf66dCUt8NKDEFO9vzYjzE6IaJxteWqJxq7AtcdiuDOx6qgMqPxDgqAGdfE8dhESGz64WQ3qvHR_

Not sexist but apologetics is a difficult subject requiring the ability to think, most woman emote as you did in this post, for example if I said it behooved

I can think fine, thanks. And the remark that you made is sexist. Men are no better at apologetics than women.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why FINALLY!
You're happy the other poster made a simple mistake because it suits your needs?

MARY IS NOT WORSHIPPED IN THE CC !!

Which part of NOT WORSHIPPED do you not understand?

ONLY GOD IS WORSHIPPED.

did he say he made a mistake? I must have missed it.

That is what he said. Prayer, too, is an act of worship. And since God alone is omnipresent, that means Mary cannot even hear your prayers, but God can, and so does Jesus.

Reactions: dev553344

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is your own mother just physical? Is that all that really matters???

Nope - MY Mother is DEAD - just like Jesus' mother is. My Mother was a Born again Christian, The Bible never says the Mary, Jesus' Mom ever became born again, but since she was given to John the chances are she did become a Christian, before she died.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary is the blessed mother of Jesus. We can perhaps all agree to honor her as Christ would want us to. She raised him and cared for him when he was a baby and child. He is God and ascended and is with her now in heaven. Cheers to all!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what he said. Prayer, too, is an act of worship. And since God alone is omnipresent, that means Mary cannot even hear your prayers, but God can, and so does Jesus.
If we speak then angels can hear us. But if we think I'm not sure they can. And we do have angels among us we know that from scripture:

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Acts of the Apostles 27:23 For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,

Reactions: GodsGrace

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read that some Catholics believe that Mary was born of a virgin too. Is this true? Do some Catholics believe this way?

I just think the repetition and prayers to Mary is too much and crosses over a line. Our prayers and worship need to be focused on the Father in the mighty name of Jesus Christ.