Why do we even have free will?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God gave us free will, but expects us to obey Him in everything and deny ourselves and never follow our hearts because they are evil? Why give us free will at all?

Feb 26, 2021
Chandler
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think your view of human freedom is missing an important aspect of it's meaning.
Jesus did the will of His Father not His own. Yet He demonstrated perfect freedom.

Freedom is the ability to do what  ought to be done.

Jesus didn't want to drink the fup His Father prepared for Him. He asked the Father for another way. He sweat blood He so didn't want to do it.

Jesus demonstrated perfect freedom by accepting the Father's will that He die a humiliating agonizing death for the forgiveness of sins.

So we have a paradox.

Jesus marked the spot when He said; "your will Father not mine" with those words
Jesus is at the same time, doing God's will and demonstrating perfect human freedom

Reactions: bbyrd009

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why didn’t God put a fence around the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil?

Why was the Serpent allowed free rein in the Garden?

If our hearts are inclined towards selfishness and evil, do we even have “Free Will”? If when Jesus returns we will not be able to sin, will we have “Free Will”?

“Faith” means “trust”. I trust God is sovereign over all Creation. I have to trust that for whatever God intends for us to become, it is necessary that we know experientially Good and Evil and the consequences thereof. And that involves having the freedom to choose.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
God gave us free will, but expects us to obey Him in everything and deny ourselves and never follow our hearts because they are evil? Why give us free will at all?
if i may—and i understand this is sort of like mixing metaphors or whatever—we are often amazed by something in nature, and wonder how some flora or fauna “know how to” do whatever, when the reality seems to be more like it is the ones who randomly did that whatever that have survived, and i wonder if our (supposedly arguable) free will is not similar

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because we are mot slaves and He wants our love for Him to be given freely from our hearts.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because God created us in His image Friend. That means we have God's qualities, as close to His spiritual creation as any creature made of dust can be sir. We have a measure of love, justice, wisdom, and power as a result of being created in His image. We have many choices and paths we can follow and still be within the guidelines of obedience to God's laws Friend. That is what free will is, choosing those paths, but within the guidelines of the law. Those who choose to go outside the boundaries of God's laws, are the ones who have chosen to violate the privilege of free will.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish people would stop calling it free will. There is no such thing. Its God's will, or rebellious will. Rebellious will brings down punishment, so it ain't free at all. You'll pay the price of rebellion against God.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wish people would stop calling it free will. There is no such thing. Its God's will, or rebellious will. Rebellious will brings down punishment, so it ain't free at all. You'll pay the price of rebellion against God.
If only God's will exists then there is no "rebellious" will.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello friend of,
You said "If only God's will exists then there is no "rebellious" will.

And if only God's will exists then there is no "free" will.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello friend of,
You said "If only God's will exists then there is no "rebellious" will.

And if only God's will exists then there is no "free" will.

And that's why God created free will.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
so we wouldn't become robots?
robots do not evolve on it's own unless the developer upgrades them

if we do not have freewill then won't we stays the same forever and ever isn't that boring for a perfect God? it's like an imperfect human made an AI

but idk either I'm not God nor did God revealed it to me am just making assumptions

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
shall the thing formed say why hast thou made me thus .
GOD does as HE does and all His judgments are righteous .
Me , myself and I are just happy i am saved by His wonderful grace in Christ Jesus .
None of us has any right to question WHY GOD does as HE Does . Rather let us simply learn FROM HIM .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus denied himself to pay the price of sin, for his Father, to reconcile what was lost by Adam.

Self-denial to live for him (Put God First, Love God First, Love Others), is just kind of a give and take - even so speaking as an admitted failure in this flesh. God loves you and cares about you and all people IN ANY given situation...

He still desires us to turn to him, and pray for help by the spirit, knowing he is our Father, and that one day you will go live with him after this life, in the Heavenly Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Good question @friend of.

Reactions: friend of

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

The world may never know.

Reactions: Lambano

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He expects us to obey his commandments, but there are only a few.

I don't remember him saying to never follow our hearts.

Denying ourselves only means letting the Lord take over - his plan for our lives is so much better than anything we can imagine.