Why do we need priests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every time I eat the bread and drink the wine I remember the Lord's death until He comes. That's what He and Paul told me to do.
Hi Paul,

Thank you. Sounds like you are fulfilling part of Scripture. Why not fulfill ALL of Scripture and do what he told you to do to have life in you? How do you fulfill John 6:53-56? Or is your faith still stuck at John 6:52?

Patient Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said to render unto God what is God's and render to Caesar what is Caesar's. This may not be the actual context, but the same principle apply. We confess our sin to the one we have sinned against, and when we have sinned against God by breaking any of the Ten Commandments, we confess it directly to God who is the only Person who can forgive sins against Him.
Hi Paul,

You are right....it is not the same context. So why would you refer to Scripture out of context? To support your personal belief IMO.

I see you are unable to provide any passage from Scripture to support what you believe so I will move on.

Mary

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Paul,

Is your point that since all have sinned none of us can say we are good OR that we are not really good?

Curious Mary
Now, I won't be judging you at all, or doubting your faith in any way, okay?
Have you ever told a lie?
Have you ever taken something that doesn't belong to you?
Have you ever looked at a person with lust?
Have you ever used God's name as a swear word?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Paul,

Thank you. Sounds like you are fulfilling part of Scripture. Why not fulfill ALL of Scripture and do what he told you to do to have life in you? How do you fulfill John 6:53-56? Or is your faith still stuck at John 6:52?

Patient Mary
We will come back to this one once we have completed our survey about whether we are good or not. I am including myself in the questions, by the way.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Paul,

You are right....it is not the same context. So why would you refer to Scripture out of context? To support your personal belief IMO.

I see you are unable to provide any passage from Scripture to support what you believe so I will move on.

Mary
I used the reference to show that if a brother or sister in Christ sins against us we forgive them. But if they sin directly against God and not us, they need to go directly to God and ask His forgiveness.

I think that confession to another believer, such as a priest is a good thing, because the Scripture says to confess our faults one to another and pray for one another. But a godly priest would encourage us to settle our spiritual account with God as well.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, I won't be judging you at all, or doubting your faith in any way, okay?
Have you ever told a lie?
Have you ever taken something that doesn't belong to you?
Have you ever looked at a person with lust?
Have you ever used God's name as a swear word?
ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Are you saying that we can NEVER call ANYONE "good"?

What is your point?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will come back to this one once we have completed our survey about whether we are good or not. I am including myself in the questions, by the way.
John 6:53-56 has NOTHING to do with being good or not. Soooo we can start another conversation SEPERATE from your "good" survey. ;)

How do you fulfill John John 6:53-56?

Patient Mary

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Are you saying that we can NEVER call ANYONE "good"?

What is your point?

Curious Mary
I'm not saying anything. All I'm asking is for you to say yes or no to my questions. Once you have done that, I will explain why I asked you those questions. When we come to the Judgment we won't be in a group, but will be there alone before Christ, so I am interested in why you think you are either good or not good.

I say again, just in case you missed it last time. I am not asking you these things to judge you at all.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
John 6:53-56 has NOTHING to do with being good or not. Soooo we can start another conversation SEPERATE from your "good" survey. ;)

How do you fulfill John John 6:53-56?

Patient Mary
Mmm... That's interesting. I wonder why when I ask the questions of people on this forum, they do everything they can to avoid answering?

I have lied, so I am a liar
I have taken things that didn't belong to me, so I am a thief
I have used God's name as a swear word, so I am a blasphemer
I have looked at people with lust, so that makes me an adulterer at heart.

So, because I am a lying, thieving, blaspheming, adulterer at heart, I am not a good person at all, because I have broken four of the Ten Commandments. Therefore when I die, as we all have to do, I will stand before God in the Judgment and be found guilty.

So, if I had a knife in my back and I had two minutes to live, what, as a Christian, are you going to tell me?

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used the reference to show that if a brother or sister in Christ sins against us we forgive them. But if they sin directly against God and not us, they need to go directly to God and ask His forgiveness.

I think that confession to another believer, such as a priest is a good thing, because the Scripture says to confess our faults one to another and pray for one another. But a godly priest would encourage us to settle our spiritual account with God as well.
Thank you Paul,

I think you are saying that sins against Him are "using His name in vain" etc? Is that what you are saying?

Where does Scripture say that we are to go directly to God to ask his forgiveness if we sin against him (use His name in vain)?

Are not all sins "against him"? Psalms indicates they are.

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not saying anything. All I'm asking is for you to say yes or no to my questions. Once you have done that, I will explain why I asked you those questions. When we come to the Judgment we won't be in a group, but will be there alone before Christ, so I am interested in why you think you are either good or not good.

I say again, just in case you missed it last time. I am not asking you these things to judge you at all.
Hi Paul,

I don't feel you are judging me.

Everything you listed is a sin. The only person who can say NO to all your questions is Jesus :)

I am good because I do good. I am a sinner because ALL sin. Not ALL are good but all are sinners.

One does not nullify the other. One can be both!

What is your point to all this?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmm... That's interesting. I wonder why when I ask the questions of people on this forum, they do everything they can to avoid answering?

I have lied, so I am a liar
I have taken things that didn't belong to me, so I am a thief
I have used God's name as a swear word, so I am a blasphemer
I have looked at people with lust, so that makes me an adulterer at heart.

So, because I am a lying, thieving, blaspheming, adulterer at heart, I am not a good person at all, because I have broken four of the Ten Commandments. Therefore when I die, as we all have to do, I will stand before God in the Judgment and be found guilty.

So, if I had a knife in my back and I had two minutes to live, what, as a Christian, are you going to tell me?
Paul,

I have answered your "survey" question. ;)

You are dodging mine: How do you fulfill John John 6:53-56? :(

Patient Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:eek: You mean we have people here claiming Jesus was some cannibal?!?!? the nerve!!!
Hi,

At the Last Supper Jesus said to his Apostles "This IS my body..." when he gave them the bread. Was Jesus lying to them?

Before He said that at the Last Supper he said MULTIPLE times in John 6 that we must eat his body. Some of the disciples walked away when He said that. Have you walked away also? How do you fulfill John 6:53-56?

Curious Mary

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thank you Paul,

I think you are saying that sins against Him are "using His name in vain" etc? Is that what you are saying?

Where does Scripture say that we are to go directly to God to ask his forgiveness if we sin against him (use His name in vain)?

Are not all sins "against him"? Psalms indicates they are.

Curious Mary
Yes. The Scripture says that sin is transgression of the law. This means that breaking any one or more of the Ten Commandment is sin against God, and therefore should be confessed to Him. The Scripture says, "Come boldly to the throne of grace that you might find mercy and grace to help in time of need". So, it is helpful to confess our faults to others, but some really personal sins should be confessed only to God because if we share them with others, they may get a lower impression of us, and possible expose us to being gossiped about - you know what human nature is like.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Paul,

I don't feel you are judging me.

Everything you listed is a sin. The only person who can say NO to all your questions is Jesus :)

I am good because I do good. I am a sinner because ALL sin. Not ALL are good but all are sinners.

One does not nullify the other. One can be both!

What is your point to all this?

Mary
I just want to share what I believe is the true gospel so that we know what we are being saved from.

Let me explore what you said about being good by doing good.

Let's say a criminal is before a judge because he raped three women and cut their throats, and he says, "I know I am guilty of rape and murder, but I do a lot of good. I am kind to animals, help the poor, feed the hungry, attend church, say my prayers, and am a good father to my children." The judge will say, "You are not here because of your good deeds. You are here because of your crimes, therefore you will go to the electric chair".

Therefore, God, being a God of justice will be the same when we stand before Him. He will judge us on our breaking of His Ten Commandments, not on our good deeds, and we will be in danger of being sentenced to His eternal prison without parole in spite of all the good deeds we have done.

Am I making sense?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Paul,

I have answered your "survey" question. ;)

You are dodging mine: How do you fulfill John John 6:53-56? :(

Patient Mary
Oh. I thought I had already addressed that. I fulfil the Scripture by putting my full trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross, identifying with His death, and every time I participate in the lord's supper at church, I remember His death until He comes.

I don't believe that the bread and wine actually by some magical process becomes the real body and blood of Christ. That is why I am not a RCC. So it will be unfruitful to go any further down that track.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. The Scripture says that sin is transgression of the law. This means that breaking any one or more of the Ten Commandment is sin against God, and therefore should be confessed to Him. The Scripture says, "Come boldly to the throne of grace that you might find mercy and grace to help in time of need". So, it is helpful to confess our faults to others, but some really personal sins should be confessed only to God because if we share them with others, they may get a lower impression of us, and possible expose us to being gossiped about - you know what human nature is like.
Hebrews 4:16 has NOTHING to do with confessing sins to God or confession of sins.

Where does scripture say "really personal sins should be confessed to God only"???

Patient Mary

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi,

At the Last Supper Jesus said to his Apostles "This IS my body..." when he gave them the bread. Was Jesus lying to them?

Before He said that at the Last Supper he said MULTIPLE times in John 6 that we must eat his body. Some of the disciples walked away when He said that. Have you walked away also? How do you fulfill John 6:53-56?

Curious Mary
As I asked before - how could the bread be Jesus' own body when He was there with them in the flesh? He had to be speaking symbolically - a metaphor.

I can say that someone I don't like is "a dirty dog", but that doesn't mean that he is a real dog. I am just stating metaphorically. That's what Jesus did on both occasions.

He could have used a simile and said that as He took the piece of bread, "This is like my body", but He wanted to give more emphasis to the symbolism.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just want to share what I believe is the true gospel so that we know what we are being saved from.

Let me explore what you said about being good by doing good.

Let's say a criminal is before a judge because he raped three women and cut their throats, and he says, "I know I am guilty of rape and murder, but I do a lot of good. I am kind to animals, help the poor, feed the hungry, attend church, say my prayers, and am a good father to my children." The judge will say, "You are not here because of your good deeds. You are here because of your crimes, therefore you will go to the electric chair".

Therefore, God, being a God of justice will be the same when we stand before Him. He will judge us on our breaking of His Ten Commandments, not on our good deeds, and we will be in danger of being sentenced to His eternal prison without parole in spite of all the good deeds we have done.

Am I making sense?
No, It does NOT make any sense to compare mans criminal law to Gods law.

A man can be found guilty of murder and be sentenced to physical death BY MAN. By the grace and forgiveness of God, of which Scripture says their is both, he can be forgiven and still go to heaven.

You need to work on your theory.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh. I thought I had already addressed that. I fulfil the Scripture by putting my full trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross, identifying with His death, and every time I participate in the lord's supper at church, I remember His death until He comes.

I don't believe that the bread and wine actually by some magical process becomes the real body and blood of Christ. That is why I am not a RCC. So it will be unfruitful to go any further down that track.
Thank you.

So you just PRETEND you are eating His flesh and drinking His blood when you "participate in the lord's supper at church"?

Curious Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.