Why Do You Go/or not go to Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You're understanding of the scriptures you have quoted is in error. You're cobbling amounts to gobbledy gook

Quiethinker, I agree with you. I have no idea where Mary might have been infected with this non-Scriptural ideology, but my heart goes out to her as she carries this unnecessary burden!

Jesus came to set us free from the Law; the law of rules and regulations. Let us learn to embrace His eternal love for us, and cast aside man’s efforts to bring us back into bondage.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
>>One can't observe the sacraments on one's own????
Is that something that can be found in the Bible, or only in the Gospel According to Deborah??
You can't baptise yourself - some other believer has to baptise you. So that's at least one other person (and ideally a lot more as witnesses) who must be present.
I suppose you could take bread and wine on your own - but you don't find believers doing that in the New Testament. It would be a mere ritual without the element of fellowship - and you would lose half the symbolism. And if you're doing it by your lonely self, how are you "discerning the Body of Christ" (I Corinthians 11:29)?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Quiethinker, I agree with you. I have no idea where Mary might have been infected with this non-Scriptural ideology, but my heart goes out to her as she carries this unnecessary burden!

Jesus came to set us free from the Law; the law of rules and regulations. Let us learn to embrace His eternal love for us, and cast aside man’s efforts to bring us back into bondage.
I would say Stan that Jesus came to set us free from the bondage and slavery of sin, both its consequences and its power. The epistle of John testifies to this.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus said, "Do this..." He didn't add, "if you feel like it".
Lol Deborah, that's right, he didn't say 'if you feel like it' :) ..... he also didn't say to make a rules about it.
The passover Israel remembered from the time of Moses pointed to the lamb slain for sin. Jesus is our passover and our life.
As oft as you do this remember my death me, as I recall his directive. We are to know that in him is life of which bread is the symbol.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lol Deborah, that's right, he didn't say 'if you feel like it' :) ..... he also didn't say to make a rules about it.
The passover Israel remembered from the time of Moses pointed to the lamb slain for sin. Jesus is our passover and our life.
As oft as you do this remember my death me, as I recall his directive. We are to know that in him is life of which bread is the symbol.
But in practice, each group of Christians (aka church) has to decide when/how often they are going to do it - because it requires a minimal degree of organisation. You could call this a 'rule', but what's so terrible about that kind of rule? Groups can't function easily without them.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God'
Thank you QT,

Bible study.....LOVE IT!!

I, the CC and Scripture agrees with you: Man can not live on BREAD alone.

Putting your passage (Matthew 4:4), IN CONTEXT, He was referring actual bread when Satan suggested He turn the stone into bread. When Jesus said that man does not live on bread alone he was referencing the OT passage Deuteronomy 8:3 which was talking about actual bread. Soooo that passage you referenced has NOTHING to do with Luke 22 and John 6. Scripture says our ancestor's died when they ate manna (real bread). Jesus told us we would not die when we ate him. Jesus is the bread of life (John 6:35).

In summary: Matthew 4:4 does NOT nullify Luke 22 and John 6.

Soooo once again, how do you fulfill what Jesus said you MUST DO in Luke and John (John 6:53 and Luke 22:19)??

Bible Study Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a directive to remember that Jesus is the bread of life. It was never a MUST DO.
Hi QT,

You and I have our own convo on this.....not sure why you are commenting on a question I asked her???? o_O

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're understanding of the scriptures you have quoted is in error. You're cobbling amounts to gobbledy gook
WOW.....Such an articulate defense of your thoughts and a take down of my post that I backed up with Scripture.

Would you care to provide any facts to back up your theory? Or do you just prefer to snipe?

Mary

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have been going through a searching series called "Have You Forgotten the Why?" Basically why we go to church. I have been a bit torn lately and unsure if Ive made the best decision just going to this new church for now.

His teaching has been that we go to church for the Word of God/to renew our minds, so that we can stand strong against the enemy. I completely agree with this. And they are amazing teachers.

But I realize, like they don't have Sunday night service. And though I studied at home, still have felt a bit down. I guess it is because I've never missed. But I am just going to one for now.

So I am wondering if church is for more then just the Word. Otherwise, why go. Here are thoughts on top of my head.

We go to church for:

1. Accountability to remain walking in the Spirit

2. I want to say music, the Word of God is also sharing through the Worship and I am drawn more to hymns/Gospel type with some contemporary like my current church home rather then the band/newer songs I don't really know at the new church.

3. Doctrine- I think my main question in my mind is on the gifts of the Spirit and how important it is to go to a church that teaches and practices tongues as a prayer language, prophecy, words of wisdom/knowledge.

4. The church body-fellowship among believers/etc. It is hard to measure this after years at the my current one right now.

5. Where I can best serve God.

So why do you go to church? Is there a wrong answer if the church believes God's Word.
It can be a pity if a local church permanently cancels its Sunday evening service.

Acts 2.41-42 is a good pattern; it doesn't actually mention meeting times, though...

Reactions: Mayflower

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taking Communion is another thing that I should have put on my 'sharing' list. One can't observe the sacraments on one's own. But there are so many things that could have been on the list...
Thank you for the clarification Deborah.

I agree with you.....One can't observe the sacraments on one's own.

Respectfully....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all get to eat His flesh and have it quickened within us by the Holy Spirit, if we will allow it [not quenching the Holy Spirit]. Some people fail to eat thus never providing the dead meat to be quickened. Some fail to drink thus never providing the means for what they have eaten to be brought to Life within. Without the Living Word within us there is no "new man" so when we die the death of our flesh, nothing would remain.

Even Jesus was growing while here in His flesh. To stop growing is to stagnate and die. The limit to our growth, is not in God in which there is not limit, but in us.
Completely bizarre and utterly NOT TRUE post by you and @Nancy should know better.

Mary

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can't baptise yourself - some other believer has to baptise you. So that's at least one other person (and ideally a lot more as witnesses) who must be present.
I suppose you could take bread and wine on your own - but you don't find believers doing that in the New Testament. It would be a mere ritual without the element of fellowship - and you would lose half the symbolism. And if you're doing it by your lonely self, how are you "discerning the Body of Christ" (I Corinthians 11:29)?

I am 77 years old and really don’t have the ability to sit in church for the duration of a service.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Mary. Whether I commemorate my Saviour's death and resurrection at church or at home, that's totally between me and Him. He is the one that doesn't look upon the outward appearance, but sees what is in the heart.

I have studied the writings of the Early Church Fathers, and how things happened in the church. In the very earliest church, communion was served within the group by laity, and for those who were infirm and could not attend, family took the bread and wine home for that person.

Over the years, the evil clergy seized upon communion as a way to exalt themselves and bring the congregation into submission. At the outset, they proclaimed that only they could serve communion, and over time they morphed it into a magical elixir that only the clergy could manufacture. It got so totally ridiculous, that at the Roman Catholic Council of Trent 1545, a major item for discussion, was that the wine was so sacred and magical, that what should they do with a man who accidentally spilled a drop of wine on his beard. Should they merely cut off his beard and burn it, or should they burn the entire man at the stake!! YUK! So the Roman Catholic Church stopped serving wine at their magical communion nonsense, and to this day, they no longer serve communion, but just wafers. In all fairness, I think they stopped serving wine merely because they were cheap!! And that left more booze for the priests!
Hi Stan B,

Hoooray....Someone that loves the Apostolic and ECF's writings like I do. We might become good friends....:rolleyes:

First I would like to address your misconception that wine is not served at communion. It still is and I partake of it every Sunday at my church. It makes me sad :( that you turned your misconception into a ugly rant by putting down The Church and the good men who serve God and the flock.

Second I have never heard of your "drop of wine on his beard" story. Can you direct me to a historical writing that backs up your allegation? It your story is true The Church teaches (and has taught for 2,000 years) the real presence of Christ in Communion. This means that the "drop of wine" on that mans beard was sacred (for a lack of better words).

Third of I was wondering if you know, since you are a lover of the Apostolic and ECF's like I am, when The Church started the practice of only priest make communion sacred (into the Real Presence) and only deacons pass it out? Justin Martyr eludes to it in the year 152 AD.

Fourth thing is what do you mean by magical elixir?

Mary

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am 77 years old and really don’t have the ability to sit in church for the duration of a service.
Many churches hold short communion-only services (often midweek, in the daytime) that are very popular with elderly people.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well Ive decided to go "home" and have a lot of peace about it. This new church pastor is more knowledgeable, so I want to listen to Him online alomg with my devotionals, but there is no place like home. God really moves in my homechurch. I am hlad I had time to check my priorities to make sure they were right. The sermon isnt the only reason why we have church. The church really isnt the building, but the body.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
well Ive decided to go "home" and have a lot of peace about it. This new church pastor is more knowledgeable, so I want to listen to Him online alomg with my devotionals, but there is no place like home. God really moves in my homechurch. I am hlad I had time to check my priorities to make sure they were right. The sermon isnt the only reason why we have church. The church really isnt the building, but the body.
As always, Acts 2.41-42 is a great pattern to follow, irrespective of the building.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Stan B,

Hoooray....Someone that loves the Apostolic and ECF's writings like I do. We might become good friends....:rolleyes:

First I would like to address your misconception that wine is not served at communion. It still is and I partake of it every Sunday at my church. It makes me sad :( that you turned your misconception into a ugly rant by putting down The Church and the good men who serve God and the flock.

Second I have never heard of your "drop of wine on his beard" story. Can you direct me to a historical writing that backs up your allegation? It your story is true The Church teaches (and has taught for 2,000 years) the real presence of Christ in Communion. This means that the "drop of wine" on that mans beard was sacred (for a lack of better words).

Third of I was wondering if you know, since you are a lover of the Apostolic and ECF's like I am, when The Church started the practice of only priest make communion sacred (into the Real Presence) and only deacons pass it out? Justin Martyr eludes to it in the year 152 AD.

Fourth thing is what do you mean by magical elixir?

Mary
Mary says >>"First I would like to address your misconception that wine is not served at communion. It still is and I partake of it every Sunday at my church. It makes me sad :( that you turned your misconception into a ugly rant by putting down The Church and the good men who serve God and the flock."

I was certainly NOT putting down "The Church". I was only addressing the "Roman Catholic Church", and how it became more and more depraved century after century as the embraced Satan as their god." And no Roman Catholic church in my area serves anything but the round wafer, in honour of their pagan goddess, "Queen of Heaven", and even the pope kneels before her statue!! This evil cult was known to prophet Jeremiah. They were so evil and beyond redemption that God instructed the prophet: "Do not pray for this people, and do not lift up cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with Me; for I do not hear you." Jeremiah 7:18

I never had much interest in Roman Catholicism, until my son, who was planning to marry a Roman Catholic wrote to me 25 years ago during his last year in undergrad, with a request: "Dad, I don't know much about Roman Catholicism. Since I am studying for my final exams, I don't have the time to do it myself." The Holy Spirit was definitely telling him something, and he listened.

What an adventure that turned out to be!! I didn't want to delay the wedding, so I spent over 12 hours a day studying Roman Catholicism, and within a month provided him with a 100 page report of my initial findings, which was that Roman Catholicism was a demonic cult of total evil, which had nothing to do with Christianity, it was Satan's attempted counterfeit of the true **catholic** (not Roman Catholic) church, the universal church.

God rewarded him in a most wonderful way. God introduced him the one God had planned to be his wife. Wow! Stunningly beautiful, and exceptionally intelligent, a doctor with a PhD, with multiple PhD and professional specialties, and author of some of the books currently used in universities. The entire family was blessed by our integrity in placing the truth above all else. My other son was also blessed, because he married her sister. And for me I have been blessed with the two most loving daughters anyone ever had.

Being caught up into the study of Romanism, I devoted the next three years to studying this cult. As I got deeper and deeper into this cult, the evil they embraced was so hideous that I had nightmares, horrible nightmares that continued even 2 months after I stopped studying this cult. Their ideology is so similar to those who worship Allah.

"As for me and my family, we will worship the LORD"

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary says >>"First I would like to address your misconception that wine is not served at communion. It still is and I partake of it every Sunday at my church. It makes me sad :( that you turned your misconception into a ugly rant by putting down The Church and the good men who serve God and the flock."

I was certainly NOT putting down "The Church". I was only addressing the "Roman Catholic Church", and how it became more and more depraved century after century as the embraced Satan as their god." And no Roman Catholic church in my area serves anything but the round wafer, in honour of their pagan goddess, "Queen of Heaven", and even the pope kneels before her statue!! This evil cult was known to prophet Jeremiah. They were so evil and beyond redemption that God instructed the prophet: "Do not pray for this people, and do not lift up cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with Me; for I do not hear you." Jeremiah 7:18

I never had much interest in Roman Catholicism, until my son, who was planning to marry a Roman Catholic wrote to me 25 years ago during his last year in undergrad, with a request: "Dad, I don't know much about Roman Catholicism. Since I am studying for my final exams, I don't have the time to do it myself." The Holy Spirit was definitely telling him something, and he listened.

What an adventure that turned out to be!! I didn't want to delay the wedding, so I spent over 12 hours a day studying Roman Catholicism, and within a month provided him with a 100 page report of my initial findings, which was that Roman Catholicism was a demonic cult of total evil, which had nothing to do with Christianity, it was Satan's attempted counterfeit of the true **catholic** (not Roman Catholic) church, the universal church.

God rewarded him in a most wonderful way. God introduced him the one God had planned to be his wife. Wow! Stunningly beautiful, and exceptionally intelligent, a doctor with a PhD, with multiple PhD and professional specialties, and author of some of the books currently used in universities. The entire family was blessed by our integrity in placing the truth above all else. My other son was also blessed, because he married her sister. And for me I have been blessed with the two most loving daughters anyone ever had.

Being caught up into the study of Romanism, I devoted the next three years to studying this cult. As I got deeper and deeper into this cult, the evil they embraced was so hideous that I had nightmares, horrible nightmares that continued even 2 months after I stopped studying this cult. Their ideology is so similar to those who worship Allah.

"As for me and my family, we will worship the LORD"
Sooooo your not willing to admit you were wrong about the CC not serving wine at mass??? :rolleyes: BTW....each church (or diocese) gets to decide if they serve it.

AND you have no evidence to prove your claim that they wanted to kill or cut off the beard of the man????? :(

Did you find any historical writing about when The Church started having priest serve communion or history on the magical elixir question???? Or are we gonna pretend that those questions weren't asked???

I believe your intent is to put down The Church....you did it in both post sooooooo your not fooling this girl.....

Patient Mary

PS....The writings of the Apostolic and ECF's that you studied mirror Catholic Church teaching soooooo you don't believe what they wrote?