Why does Christ say to keep the Commandments?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the OP is in regards of sabbath keeping.
His burden is light and his yoke easy. We live under grace, not under the law. To judge another's liberty in grace is to bring that condemnation onto one's self.
Per the instructions of Paul through Christ.

Romans 14:5-12
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it into the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we SHALL ALL stand before the judgement seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why does Christ say to keep the Commandments?​

Cuz anarchy has a terrible face!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Through the power from above, do you not believe what Christ said on overcoming.
We can only overcome in God’s strength....

You can’t overcome a thing, without being Born Again!

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does Christ say to keep the Commandments? It seems that Christ continuously held up the Commandments as a central theme for eternal life, as something to be upheld, as the basis of loving God and loving your fellow man. It is God transferring His Love to man, a understanding of Gods love through his law.

Matthew 5:19
Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 15:3
But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Matthew 19:17
"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

Mark 7:8,9
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Mark 10:19
You know the commandments:'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.' "
Luke 1:6
Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly.

Luke 18:20
You know the commandments:'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.' "
Luke 18:19-21 (in Context) Luke 18 (Whole Chapter)

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

And we see how Christ basically puts it that it is to love God and love your fellow man..
Mark 12:28-34
[ The Greatest Commandment ]
28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.
34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

Matthew 22:34-40
34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I think it is because it is the only law written by the finger of God.. Ex 31:18 plus put in the ark of covenant. Jesus actually made it simpler with Mt 22:37-40

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He doesn't. He says, "...keep my commandments" - i.e. the hundreds of his commands throughout the Holy Bible, with special emphasis on these two:

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Mat. 22:37-39).

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the OP is in regards of sabbath keeping.
His burden is light and his yoke easy. We live under grace, not under the law. To judge another's liberty in grace is to bring that condemnation onto one's self.
Per the instructions of Paul through Christ.

Romans 14:5-12
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it into the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we SHALL ALL stand before the judgement seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
Yes, and those who follow God and His law find a reward waiting..
Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He doesn't. He says, "...keep my commandments" - i.e. the hundreds of his commands throughout the Holy Bible, with special emphasis on these two:

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Mat. 22:37-39).
Whose revelation says this...
Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What is the first commandment ? you have something wrong with that ? for if you do that means that such a one who disregards the first in fact rejects the rest and in fact what Jesus said on his two that he added, for them two is in regards to Grace in fact ! And Grace dominates over all ? for if you reject the OT Commandment's then you do not have Grace to understand that such has changed under Grace in fact, it's no longer that of a carnal religious position anymore in fact, because Grace abounds ! But the carnal or religious mind can not fathom such because they have not Grace in fact, for if they did they would understand that, Not one Jot ! Jesus said in fact was wrong with such ! for Jesus did not come to get rid of the OT Commandments at all in fact and anyone who claims he did, is a Anti-Christ !

Do you keep the Commandments ? Well you should look up to them for sure ! for if one rejects them then you are an Anti-Christ !

The OT Commandments are not seen by Christians as in regards as the Jews did ! for that they were under the Schoolmaster ? for Christ had not come ? But we are under Grace and Christ is our Head.
For the OT never had Grace or Christ Jesus, so it's like chalk and cheese the difference their of regarding the OT Commandments in fact !

The clowns that reject the OT Commandments are tossing the baby out with the bath water !
God gave them OT Commandments in fact ! And God does not change his word.
Carnal people or religious dupes are not worthy of Grace in fact, for they do not abide in Christ Jesus in fact, for they do not know him ? but they may only know of him ? for they are not truly Saved in fact.

No one tosses away the OT in fact ! for the OT is the blueprint for the NT in fact !