Why does John note this in Revelation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
…10Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of prophecy in this book, because the time is near. 11Let the unrighteous continue to be unrighteous, and the vile continue to be vile; let the righteous continue to practice righteousness, and theholy continue to be holy.” 12“Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done.…

Should we let this be true in our own lives, dealing with others in that are part of the world rather than anything of the spirit? Just let those who wanna be unrighteous in their lifestyle to let them, and this who are vile to let them be vile?

This is different when it comes to a Parent as most of the times - the Parents try to warn their children to keep them from harm, but what about fully grown adults?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr E

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I don't think that Jesus is commanding the unrighteous and vile NOT to repent. Rhetorically, this is just Jesus's way of reminding us that He WILL judge and reward the righteous and the unrighteous appropriately; the holy and the vile appropriately. (I just had to say that, 'cuz the literalist hermeneutic commonly seen here seems to blind people to rhetorical nuances.)

But your question is a good one. I'm not their father; they're adults, and they're responsible for their own lives. However, I may be their friend, and I don't want to see them get hurt. Or hurt someone else.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to practice righteousness?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone that has interesting insights that they would like to share please feel free to do so.

God bless.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
…10Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of prophecy in this book, because the time is near. 11Let the unrighteous continue to be unrighteous, and the vile continue to be vile; let the righteous continue to practice righteousness, and theholy continue to be holy.” 12“Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done.…

Should we let this be true in our own lives, dealing with others in that are part of the world rather than anything of the spirit? Just let those who wanna be unrighteous in their lifestyle to let them, and this who are vile to let them be vile?

This is different when it comes to a Parent as most of the times - the Parents try to warn their children to keep them from harm, but what about fully grown adults?

First, concerning what he said and what you are asking about, just before and just after he said it, what did he say?

Immediately before, he said “because the time is near.”

Immediately after, he said “Look, I’m coming soon”

There’s the context. For those, at that particular time, the die was cast (as the saying goes). If that’s an unfamiliar phrase to you, look it up.

Did Jesus spend his limited time agonizing over how he was going to “convert” people? No, he ministered to those with whom he crossed paths, with those who chose to follow him, listen to him, believe him. Those who opposed him he met with criticism of their rigid beliefs. He didn’t ‘minister’ to them, he identified them. He pointed them out.

“You are the the same as those who killed the prophets”

He spoke of “that generation” as being descendants (sons of) those who killed the prophets before and remain those who would persecute and kill any other prophet who would come. His words were proven true immediately afterwards.

He knew who they were. They couldn’t be anything other than what they were. Let the vile be vile…. You can’t change what they are.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to practice righteousness?
It means you keep at it 'til you get it right. :Broadly:

One of the definitions of δικαιοσύνη ("righteousness") is, "the virtue that renders unto each their due". So, to "do righteousness" (a more literal translation of δικαιοσύνην ποιησάτω in Revelation 22:11) is to do the right thing in every relationship, whether it's Man-God, Husband-Wife, Parent-Child, Worker-Employer, Co-workers, Leader-Follower, Citizen-Government, Citizen-Alien, Rich-Poor, Neighbor-Neighbor, Friend-Friend, brothers and sisters in Christ...

Then the question becomes, "What is the right thing to do in this particular relationship?"

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is called free will Matt. Jehovah forces no one to serve Him sir, each must choose. Jesus sent his disciples to bring the good news of the Kingdom to everyone possible, but that is all we do, based on their heart, God will make it grow.