Why doesn't God do anything when I pray?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Ship

Sep 25, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every night I pray to God to get rid of the abusers, but he never does it. In fact, all night tonight I've been suffering torture from a true monster. Even as I cry out to God to make it stop and get rid of him, all while the abuse keeps happening, it never stops. And happens every single day and night. And God never listens to me!

Everyone else who is a Christian gets their prayers answered. But God won't answer my prayer to get rid of the monsters who are abusing me. It's not like I'm asking for something impossible or ridiculous. My prayer request is a humane request, but doesn't care enough about me to make the torture permanently stop!

For my entire adult life I've had to deal with abuse, and for years and years and years I ask God to make it stop. But he never does.

Does it matter that I'm imperfect? Okay yeah, I admit I'm guilty of sin. But that does not give God the right to judge me for it and tell me I have to suffer horrible abuse day and night because I fail to live up to impossible standards! Obviously causing violence and assault against a person is far worse than any "sin" I've committed!

I'm so mad at God! Christians have their prayers answered all the time, but God won't answer my prayers (numbering thousands) to make the abusers go away forever!

Why can't God answer my prayers for once? Why has he not given me a 24-hour period of relief from abuse during my entire adult life? He does not have the right to judge me for my sins and say I'm not worth his help! The Bible says that Christians are redeemed through faith in Christ, so God is not allowed to say all these horrible things have to happen to me and refuse any compassion because I fail to be perfect!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you born again? You keep posting stuff like this, but you need to ask Jesus into your life, you need to hand over your life to Him.

You seem to take no notice of what people say to you, but you keep starting new threads about God not answering; perhaps you're not listening to him either.

Good Ship

Sep 25, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you born again? You keep posting stuff like this, but you need to ask Jesus into your life, you need to hand over your life to Him.

You seem to take no notice of what people say to you, but you keep starting new threads about God not answering; perhaps you're not listening to him either.

I am born-again. I’ve been a Christian for my entire adult life.

Is it really too much to ask God to make the abuse to permanently stop? He won’t make it stop. He won’t even tell me why he won’t help me.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask who is abusing you - parents, other adults ……..
Also if you honestly believe that God answers every single ‘ other Christian ‘ and not you , then you are so wrong. Do you think the rest of us don’t suffer, have difficulties, doubt, question, have hard times with others, it’s actually part of life ….and often it’s through all the trials that we learn to trust, grow, develop faith ect.
You seem to blaming God for everything, is he truly responsible for the actions of those around you ?
There is a much bigger picture to what you are conveying, and none of us can truly answer your questions because we do not have the full picture of your circumstances, and conversations with The Lord, we are not God.
Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Every night I pray to God to get rid of the abusers, but he never does it. In fact, all night tonight I've been suffering torture from a true monster. Even as I cry out to God to make it stop and get rid of him, all while the abuse keeps happening, it never stops. And happens every single day and night. And God never listens to me!

Everyone else who is a Christian gets their prayers answered. But God won't answer my prayer to get rid of the monsters who are abusing me. It's not like I'm asking for something impossible or ridiculous. My prayer request is a humane request, but doesn't care enough about me to make the torture permanently stop!

For my entire adult life I've had to deal with abuse, and for years and years and years I ask God to make it stop. But he never does.

Does it matter that I'm imperfect? Okay yeah, I admit I'm guilty of sin. But that does not give God the right to judge me for it and tell me I have to suffer horrible abuse day and night because I fail to live up to impossible standards! Obviously causing violence and assault against a person is far worse than any "sin" I've committed!

I'm so mad at God! Christians have their prayers answered all the time, but God won't answer my prayers (numbering thousands) to make the abusers go away forever!

Why can't God answer my prayers for once? Why has he not given me a 24-hour period of relief from abuse during my entire adult life? He does not have the right to judge me for my sins and say I'm not worth his help! The Bible says that Christians are redeemed through faith in Christ, so God is not allowed to say all these horrible things have to happen to me and refuse any compassion because I fail to be perfect!
Is the abuse criminal? You say you have suffered your entire adult life, so it isn't something you can walk away from. If it is bullying is there nobody to help sort it out. Or is it parental. There are many forms of abuse but you don't give enough details. Of course we don't want you to share something you aren't happy to.

What sort of church do you belong to? And is there nobody there that you could speak to; perhaps the pastor or priest or maybe a friend that you could trust?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God doesn't jump when we snap our fingers, but he always has our best interests in mind.

Reactions: dhh712

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is it really too much to ask God to make the abuse to permanently stop? He won’t make it stop. He won’t even tell me why he won’t help me.

It is not too much to ask. It is too much to demand and to get angry at God when it doesn't happen. He is God and you are not and you have to trust, like a little child, that he knows what is best for you even if you are 100% sure there is absolutely no way it is possible to your understanding that what you are going through is good. Ultimately good is what is meant. No suffering is ever good. God uses it for ultimately good purposes though we may never find out what those are in this life.

It sounds like you are demanding answers from God and if he won't give them to you you are angry with him. Who do you think you are? You may want to learn some humility before the Lord.

He doesn't speak to us outside of through his word so I don't know what you mean when you say he won't even tell you why. He's not going to be telling you anything like that. Maybe one day you can put together the pieces, but you'll likely only find out why God has worked in your life the way he has when we are with him in eternity.

I do wish you the best, but you do have a lot of maturing to do in the faith. I hope someone comes along by your side to give you guidance and proper Biblical instruction.

Reactions: amadeus

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These verses come to mind as I read your posts.
  • You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. Jer 29:13
  • “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Mat 7:7
  • But he who did not know and did things worthy of a beating shall be beaten with few [lashes]. For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required; and of him to whom men entrust much, they will require and demand all the more. (Luke 12:48 AMPC)
  • “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Luke 22:42

I wonder what you have done to improve your situation? Why do you expect God to do what is up to you to do?

Recently, I had a Bible study with my granddaughter. Jeremiah 29:13 is where I start because a study of the verse suggests no one will find God in their convenience. Only when you are at your end will you find God. In your case, it means to stop focusing on what an abuse victim you are and look into exhausting what is your responsibility. A parallel story may be illustrative: Is it really too much to ask God to make the bill collectors permanently stop? He won’t make it stop. He won’t even tell me why he won’t help me.

1. Why are you tolerating this abuse?
  2. Why are you not getting out of the situation?
  3. That is, why are you not taking steps to make it stop?
  4. You have not even identified the abuse.
  5. So, the idea of posting in an online forum is not where you ought to expect solutions.
  6. Call an abuse shelter.
  7. Go to an abuse shelter.
  8. Do what the abuse counselor advises.
  9. Call an 800 number.
  10. Call a psychologist or psychiatrist.
  11. Report your progress here.
  12. Thank God. Thank God for delivering you.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I've been praying about you @Good Ship and what God put in my mind is that Jesus told us:
Matthew 5:44
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Also, he told us to forgive others so you yourself can be forgiven:
Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Reactions: amadeus and TLHKAJ

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My heart goes out to you, we are in the same boat. It feels like God freely gives to only a very few people.

Everyone else who is a Christian gets their prayers answered.

Not most of us. To me it seems that God only blesses the wicked. It is like the only way to succeed in life is by being a big time sinner. Landlords get rich oppressing the poor, lawyers succeed by doing wicked deeds, corrupt politicians spit on everyone else yet they have the best things in life. Here is hoping things get better for you.

Is there anyone you can reach out to? Who is abusing you? Is there any reason you don't call a support line?

Reactions: dhh712

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This person is not genuine. They are here to defame God in the eyes of others. Everything he posts is vague at best, and the main purpose is to paint God in a bad light.

@Good Ship

I have been a Christian since I was 13 years old and the abuse I was born into has never ended. I live daily under threat. I have been serving God for 37 years. I have lost loved ones to the corrupt system and to death, including my youngest son (2 years ago) who was only 17 years old.

It's hard to walk through suffering. But we are promised that God works it all for good if we love Him and are called according to His purpose. He is faithful. And as @dhh712 said, who are we to demand anything of God, or question Him? Our answers are in His Word. If we are His, He will answer according to His will. You just need to trust and wait.

Somehow, I don't believe your purpose for being here is genuine. But we can pray for you nonetheless.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Good Ship In my quiet time this morning again I was thinking of you and I believe you need to change your prayers. Instead of asking God to take it away you need to be asking him to help you cope with it. I myself have had prayers seemingly 'ignored' but after praying to be able to cope things got better.

This passage has always helped me and I hope it will help you also.

2 Chronicles 20:15-17
“Listen, . . . . ! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow march down against them. . . . . . You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, . . . . Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.’”

Reactions: amadeus and TLHKAJ

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This person is not genuine. They are here to defame God in the eyes of others. Everything he posts is vague at best, and the main purpose is to paint God in a bad light.
I have begun to think that too @TLHKAJ. I don't believe in going round in circles with the same people; I have had too many experiences of attention seekers who never want to change. I just hope something that has been said by those who responded will be taken in and will help him.

As far as I know he hasn't said what the abuse is or who is doing the abusing. He is an adult so it could be wife or partner, it could be employer or church. But seeing as we have no real facts it is hard to know what he is dealing with.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My heart goes out to you, we are in the same boat. It feels like God freely gives to only a very few people.

Not most of us. To me it seems that God only blesses the wicked. It is like the only way to succeed in life is by being a big time sinner. Landlords get rich oppressing the poor, lawyers succeed by doing wicked deeds, corrupt politicians spit on everyone else yet they have the best things in life. Here is hoping things get better for you.

Is there anyone you can reach out to? Who is abusing you? Is there any reason you don't call a support line?
God sets out Ts & Cs so perhaps not getting prayers answered is a sign we are not fulfilling those Terms and conditions.

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who or what is abusing you?

Reactions: TLHKAJ

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Beautiful are the feet
Everyone else who is a Christian gets their prayers answered
well, that might be your impression, but Yah does not respond to pagan prayers wadr

Why doesn't God do anything when I pray?​

Bc prayer is for you, to align you with Yah's will, not for Yah to respond, as most are i guess taught now?

Reactions: amadeus