Why hasnt onyone read the book of Enoch??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BaldJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Oregon
In 1999 or 2000, I was on this prophecy study drive were I read the books of the prophets, and came across Jesus in the new testament (wow, run on sentence lol), were He said, "For as in the days of Noah, ....

Well, I was pulled in hook line and sinker. The first thing I found with the new insight was Genesis 6 1-4. Wow, how interesting. Giants before and also after the flood? But this preceeded the flood, and we get only 2 paragraphs of vague-ness. All I kept thinging was giants in the land, and who were the nephilim?? Hmm.

I prayed for wisdom and guidence. (havent stopped actually)...but I was introduced to the book of Enoch. I got it in paper form, and found it on the internet.

Wow, what a read. For all the vague-ness in Genesis, this book speaks volumes to the reason of the flood, who the giants were, the nephilim, were evil spirits come from, it was crazy. And I read it over and over. In my own paper book of Enoch, I began a verse comparison to the Bible. Of course Jude quotes from it, Moses and Jesus know of it, Peter and Paul. The Psalms are very remenicent of it.

It was a while later, when I began trying to tell friends about it that I ran into problems. They asked why it wasnt in the bible, were did it come from, it wasnt written by Enoch......and such questions. Well, I took a history class (figurativly) in the history of this old book.

It alone was very interesting.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this book, and what they have gotten from it.

Oh, and I must clarify, there are what is known as Enochian black magic. Obviously I spend no time on this, as it is satanic. Remember, the Bible tells us that Cain's first son was named Enoch. Cain's line forsuke God. I am talking about Enoch, the seventh from Adam, son of Jared-Seths line. Saying "the good Enoch" sounds nerdy, but look, I said it anyway.

God Bless you all, fellow brothers and sisters in Christ

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
"Why hasnt onyone read the book of Enoch??"

-- Because I am not a big fiction reader.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Enoch is quoted in the New Testament book of Jude.

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard [speeches] which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. Jude 1:14&15

[font="'trebuchet ms"] And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgement upon all, and to destroy all the ungodly: and to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. Enoch 1:9

[/font]

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard [speeches] which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. Jude 1:14&15

And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgement upon all, and to destroy all the ungodly: and to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. Enoch 1:9

#1. please prove that jude quoted the book of enoch and not vice versa, with credible evidence. it is well known that cultic writings edited their own works to make it appear as if the disciples copied from them.

#2. i did get the date wrong it was 2 century BC not AD

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Book_of_Enoch

#3. prove that the book of enoch was written by the original enoch, with credible evidence. keeping in mind anything written pre-flood was destroyed.

you need to remember that prophecying does not mean written all the time and there is a reason why the bookof enoch is not in the canon. think about it.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I read the book of Enoch and like stated, it can be purchased in paperback form (which I have) and also found on the Internet (I have that, too).

IMO (or maybe more than opinion) these sons of God in Genesis and the Nephilim are the origins of everything "supernatural", such as but not limited to, mythical gods, mythical titans, strange creatures such as big foot, aliens (notice they always do "reproductive experiments"), ghosts, shadow people, poltergeists and it goes on and on.

The reason gets involved although in a nutshell they wanted to mess up the human lineage and race by cross-breeding so that Satan has control and dominion over this world for sure that he lost with the creation of Adam. Although Adam relinquished his control to Satan, there was always the hope of a Savior of mankind to restore this fallen world and restore man's kingship over this world. If the genealogy was messed up, then Satan would have the world for sure and forever and turn God's promise into a lie.

Some believe (and I consider this a good possibly) that the Nephilim will return in greater numbers in the end times, and maybe even the beast will be that way, i.e. "as in the days of Noah"

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I found it very interesting as it expands on the pats of the Bible (and Apocrypha) where Enoch is mentioned. We can't treat it as scripture but there's no harm in having soemthing that fills in the gaps as long as you can take them with a pinch of salt. As to why the book of Enoch didn't make it into the Hebrew Bible, well I don't know. I guess it was surplus to requirements.

Are there Jewish sects that use it as scripture?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I found it very interesting as it expands on the pats of the Bible (and Apocrypha) where Enoch is mentioned. We can't treat it as scripture but there's no harm in having soemthing that fills in the gaps as long as you can take them with a pinch of salt. As to why the book of Enoch didn't make it into the Hebrew Bible, well I don't know. I guess it was surplus to requirements.

Are there Jewish sects that use it as scripture?

I'm not sure about Jewish sects, but I know the Ethiopian Orthodox Church canonized Enoch.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Oh yes they have lots of books that western bibles don't have.

Ethopians claim they were the first Christian country but so do Armenians as well.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
#1. please prove that jude quoted the book of enoch and not vice versa, with credible evidence. it is well known that cultic writings edited their own works to make it appear as if the disciples copied from them.

#2. i did get the date wrong it was 2 century BC not AD

http://www.newworlde...y/Book_of_Enoch

#3. prove that the book of enoch was written by the original enoch, with credible evidence. keeping in mind anything written pre-flood was destroyed.

you need to remember that prophecying does not mean written all the time and there is a reason why the bookof enoch is not in the canon. think about it.

#1. I never said that Jude quoted the book of Enoch.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgement upon all, and to destroy all the ungodly: and to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. Enoch 1:9

I agree that Enoch is quoted in the New Testament letter of Jude. The Book of Enoch is much older. Enoch is even mentioned in Genesis 5:21-24. The Book of Enoch is also mentioned in the Jewish Talmund; therefore, the Jewish people were aware of this book, but it was never cannonized as inspired Scripture. Nevertheless, there is something we can learn from the Book of Enoch.

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
I agree that Enoch is quoted in the New Testament letter of Jude. The Book of Enoch is much older. Enoch is even mentioned in Genesis 5:21-24. The Book of Enoch is also mentioned in the Jewish Talmund; therefore, the Jewish people were aware of this book, but it was never cannonized as inspired Scripture. Nevertheless, there is something we can learn from the Book of Enoch.

again with the telling of what we already know. since the book of enoch is NOT scripture and its authorship is in doubt, we do not have to use it at all.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps some folks aren't know-it-all's arch.

Enoch is a very interesting book. If we can date a book to BC - guess what, it was at Qumran (I assumed everyone knew that) - then it certainly had some level of traction. (Let's drop the sarcasm in case you haven't yet gotten the hint.) I'm not convinced that the entire book of Enoch is inspired. I think it failed canonization for a reason, but I do think it contains elements of truth and it was quoted by Jude in Jude. The Nephilim are the most interesting aspect.

The Bible clearly acknowledges these beings yet they're fanciful in "modern" times. Well, so are the miracles of Jesus, the Garden of Eden, and God in general, yet we believe those parts of the Bible as professing Christians.

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011

perhaps some people should be taught it is wrong to assume.

the book of enoch is not inspired in any way. if it were it would have been included in the canon. now it is possible that someone edited the bookof enoch and added the verse from jude, as that is known to happen with ancient cultic writings.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Enoch is a very interesting book. If we can date a book to BC - guess what, it was at Qumran (I assumed everyone knew that) - then it certainly had some level of traction. (Let's drop the sarcasm in case you haven't yet gotten the hint.) I'm not convinced that the entire book of Enoch is inspired. I think it failed canonization for a reason, but I do think it contains elements of truth and it was quoted by Jude in Jude. The Nephilim are the most interesting aspect.

The Bible clearly acknowledges these beings yet they're fanciful in "modern" times. Well, so are the miracles of Jesus, the Garden of Eden, and God in general, yet we believe those parts of the Bible as professing Christians.

I agree. The Book of Enoch is not inspired and was never canonized. Like you, I also think that the book contains some elements of truth, which is most likely why Jude quoted it. Despite that it is not an inspired book, I think it is still an interesting book that one can learn from.