Why hasnt onyone read the book of Enoch??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've read it. I've read a lot of ancient manuscripts - always interesting, not always inspired.

BaldJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Oregon
Cool, thanx guys.

I think the Jewish synygogs ( lol sp!), had the scroll of Enoch with them. It was quoted by Jude as you said, within the Bible. the Bible is the Word of God, what else is known as the Word? Jesus. Jesus refferes to the book of Enoch with his "in the days of Noah" speech. Peter and Paul both had to have known about Enoch as well as James. Then in Revelations we have Jesus described as coming back just as He led Enoch to prophecy, with all the saints and angels.

Now consider this, when the actual tribulation starts, and the giants return, the nephilim and the fallen angels all come out and play, so to speak, there will be no more wondering if they exist or not. When they try to eat you and your family. Hmm, I think the foofy, easy trib portrayed in the left behind series might have some people misinformed.

Dont get me wrong, those were great books, and led many to the Lord..including my wife :)...but, we need to add the return of the nephilim into the tribulation.
Really bad things will happen. Mens hearts will fail them from what is coming upon the earth. God will give them over to huge delusion, that would possibly even decieve the elect.

Since the rapture is out now (i guess), and we must apparently now go through the tribulation, perhaps the book of Enoch needs to be studied in order to see whats coming upon the earth durning this time. I still remember God telling my that he will save us from the wrath to come, and if He takes me away before the trib starts, well, I'm not gonna aurgue with him. :) I hope none of you do either:)

ThyWordisTruth

Jan 11, 2011
USA
It might be an interesting read, but it is not inspired. Thus, I wouldn't take it to heart. The book of Enoch is not quoted in Jude either, only the vision that Enoch had seen.

It isn't in the Bible. So, I wouldn't treat it as Holy Scripture.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
It has been a few years since I read Enoch. I found it quite interesting at the time. I kept it at arms length with the caution that it may not be completely factual but I did not disregard it completely either.

We have to admit that the bible does give us a few hints about unusual events pre-flood , such as interaction between angels and humans , Nephilim etc.
Some strange things were going on , that's for sure , it is for that reason we tend to "possibly believe" parts of the Enoch book.

Thanks for the reminder BaldJohn , I think I will take another look at it , and maybe have more comments a little later.. This could be an interesting thread. If we select parts of Enoch that seem possible , compared to portions that read as fiction , maybe we can benefit from it.

About 30 years ago I read the lost gospel of Peter, and the gospel of Barnabas as well. They also seemed to be accurate and informative , I was a new beleiver at the time and lacked critical skills , but at the time I felt they held valuable insights.

Talk later
Arnie

BaldJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Oregon
I didnt realize there were three pages of posts when replied last..lol. Wow, lots of imput.

However, I feel that I must say that I completly feel that its inspired of God. It was not included into the bible, no, but this hardly merits worth. The early council that put our bible together did not include it because of its sexual overtones pertaining to angels and mortal women. I love it when mortals try and define spiritual beings.

I put no explenations, because i dont know, expept what is written. Within the bible, we find enough evidence concerning angels doing physical things that it seems plausible to me. that with history being supressed, this issue would bring unwanted questions.

The book was also cursed by a jewish rabbi at one time, because this issue.

As for proof of age, well, the etheopian book of enoch was taken there around solomons time, i beleive, and the fragments found at quamran are very close to its text. perhaps acounting for language diffrences.

at ancient history. com they give a good history of the book as a preface type thing.

But lets look at its insperation issue. Enoch was not a false prophet. he couldnt have been because he follows the criteria of a true prophet given in the bible. He claims to have written it himself, and he's not a liar. although a portion of it is thought to be a fragment of the book of noah, but this does not dicredit enoch.

I fully think that it should have been included in our bible, and it is in the catholic bible i believe....

anyway, as a prophecy tool, i would read it through a couple times just to be familar with it, even if you dont consider it anyhing but a good read.

and i must say that it is quoted in jude, and reffeered to by peter , paul and james, as well as revelations. I also found alot in psalms, making me wonder how well king david and solomon knew of the things in enoch. and lets not forget Moses for including a portion of it in genesis as well. another quote here.

it all just makes me wonder why it is so down played as it is. fictional? well, i think not. even ancient mythologys are the explotes of the mighty men, men of renoun, and recorded in every cutures history around the world.

well, i'll check back soon.

love in Christ brothers and sisters

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Jude 1:14-15
14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of His saints,
15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.
(KJV)

That is a quote from the book of Enoch, which covers the following topic from Jude 1...

Jude 1:6-7
6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, He hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
(KJV)

That is where Jude is most likely pulling from with that info about the angels who kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, going after "strange flesh" in fornication.

I listened to an online study of the book of Enoch (Ethiopic) line upon line from a program called 'From The Hip'. I was most amazed by how many times it aligned directly with many Scriptures in our canonized Christian Bible. Enoch gives a detailed account of the fallen angels coming to earth and literally co-habitating with flesh women, with a race of giants as their offspring, and imparting occult knowledge to mankind that was a sin. It goes into detail about the Heavenly dimension and its layout.

There ARE two different Enoch versions, and it's true one of those version is a Gnostic work. But the other, the Ethiopic version, is not, and is from very old manuscripts (which I think are now in the British Museum). The "book of Jasher" is mentioned in Joshua 10:13 and 2 Samuel 1:18, and there's pseudo copies of it that exist today, unlike the manuscript form of the Ethiopic Enoch.

So most likely, because of the lack of the book of Enoch among the manuscripts of the Majority Texts (NT), and Massoretic Texts (OT), it was not canonized within The Bible. Yet it contains many things that align directly with canonized Scripture. So it's worth at least a read.

When Gen.6 along with the above Jude 1 Scripture, and the many Old Testament examples of literal descriptions of the giants are truly considered, that is Biblical proof enough that those angels did indeed comes to earth and cohabitated with flesh women, and produced a hybrid offspring of giants. The name Rephaim was a proper name for the giants per OT Scripture. In some KJV OT Scripture that name is translated as the dead (like Isaiah 26:14 with "deceased". See Bullinger's Appendix on this in The Companion Bible).

In Gen.6, we're told the "sons of God" took wives of the daughters of men. That's exactly what Jude 1:6-7 is pointing to, which is most likely from the original book of Enoch.

In Gen.6:9 we're told that Noah was "perfect in his generations". The Hebrew for "perfect" is the word tamiym which is the same Hebrew word used for the unblemished purity of sacrificial animals (Exo.12:5, Exo.29:1, etc.). That seals in the fact that the Gen.6 subject was indeed about bloodline purity, and not just about big bullies on the earth causing immorality of the times. It reveals the real reason why God brought the flood of Noah's day, and later after that flood commanded Israel to literally destroy the giants (Gen.6:4 mentions a second irruption later with "and also after that").

Christ's enemies of course do not want us to understand that event of those angels taking wives of flesh women to produce a hybrid giant race. It's because our Lord Jesus showed His servant John in Revelation 12:7-9 that in the last days of this world, Satan and his angels are going to be booted out of the heavenly dimension down to this earth to our earthly dimension. They don't want us to know those are angels that rebelled with Satan in the beginning, but instead believe they are coming as saviours of mankind.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
The scriptures clearly say what books and authors are supposed to be in the bible and that all of the letters written by the apostles are the Word of God... you just need magic bible sunglasses to see that part...

I'll be selling them on my website soon for $19.95

http://www.magicbiblesunglasses.com

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures clearly say what books and authors are supposed to be in the bible and that all of the letters written by the apostles are the Word of God... you just need magic bible sunglasses to see that part...

I'll be selling them on my website soon for $19.95

http://www.magicbiblesunglasses.com

[font="'Book Antiqua"]Sorry - The LDS have already cornered the market on the seer stones - Urim and Thummim[/font]

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And do you know who wrote the books and letters that where put together in this book called the bible. Funny how " bible", isnt mentioned in the bible. Certainly I wasnt theree when these things where written, most of it is pure speculation, taken from assumed dates when they where written.

The only truth is in Christ

In His Love

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Keyword Search results:
enoch

I had a few spare minutes , so I reproduced all the times Enoch is mentioned by name in the bible. If I missed some , let me know. Thanks.

1. Genesis 4:17
    Cain lay with his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch.
    Genesis 4:16-18 (in Context) Genesis 4 (Whole Chapter)
  2. Genesis 4:18
    To Enoch was born Irad, and Irad was the father of Mehujael, and Mehujael was the father of Methushael, and Methushael was the father of Lamech.
    Genesis 4:17-19 (in Context) Genesis 4 (Whole Chapter)
  3. Genesis 5:18
    When Jared had lived 162 years, he became the father of Enoch.
    Genesis 5:17-19 (in Context) Genesis 5 (Whole Chapter)
  4. Genesis 5:19
    And after he became the father of Enoch, Jared lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.
    Genesis 5:18-20 (in Context) Genesis 5 (Whole Chapter)
  5. Genesis 5:21
    When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah.
    Genesis 5:20-22 (in Context) Genesis 5 (Whole Chapter)
  6. Genesis 5:22
    And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters.
    Genesis 5:21-23 (in Context) Genesis 5 (Whole Chapter)
  7. Genesis 5:23
    Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years.
    Genesis 5:22-24 (in Context) Genesis 5 (Whole Chapter)
  8. Genesis 5:24
    Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.
    Genesis 5:23-25 (in Context) Genesis 5 (Whole Chapter)
  9. 1 Chronicles 1:3
    Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech, Noah.
    1 Chronicles 1:2-4 (in Context) 1 Chronicles 1 (Whole Chapter)
  10. Luke 3:37
    the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel, the son of Kenan,
    Luke 3:36-38 (in Context) Luke 3 (Whole Chapter)
  11. Hebrews 11:5
    By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.
    Hebrews 11:4-6 (in Context) Hebrews 11 (Whole Chapter)
  12. Jude 1:14
    Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones
    Jude 1:13-15 (in Context) Jude 1 (Whole Chapter)

==========================================================
Looks like there are two Enoch's
One born to Cain, One born to Jared.
Is that correct??
Arnie

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
And do you know who wrote the books and letters that where put together in this book called the bible. Funny how " bible", isnt mentioned in the bible. Certainly I wasnt theree when these things where written, most of it is pure speculation, taken from assumed dates when they where written.

The only truth is in Christ

In His Love

The Greek word biblos for 'book' is where our English word 'bible' comes from. Our Lord Jesus and His Apostles gave authority for the various Books of The Bible, and that should be enough for someone who believes their witness. That Enoch, the 7th from Adam, also had a witness of his time, AND of the end with Christ's return with His thousands of His saints is enough Biblical evidence to suggest the book of Enoch may have importance, no less than the Apocryphal writings. And the original FIRST EDITION KING JAMES BIBLE also has the Apocyrpha with it.

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
just so you know, the following is taken from The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls, pg. 545:

The differences they display concern partly the structure of the work, e.g. the astronomical section is more developed in parts than the text from which the ethiopic enoch (72-82) was made, while the book of parables (37-71) with its son of man speculation is completely lacking at Qumran

thus the way it plays out is that Jude quoted the real enoch not the book of enoch itself and the book was edited after jude's writing to make it seem like he quoted from it instead.

for further reading:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/book_of_enoch.htm

http://reluctant-messenger.com/enoch.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Enoch#Manuscript_tradition

BaldJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Oregon
Thanks vetren, i will check 'from the hip' for my self. It amazes me that such a book is vertually inisible to the body of Christ, but also understandable as well.

when the hybribs and fallen angels come back, nobody will understand what is going on. The general popultion will believe a great lie, and God will give them over to it. Their hearts will fail them due to what is coming upon the earth.

It also amazes me about how much of the book of Enoch has similarities to the Bible. And I also had the book of Jashur in my librariy as well, but gave it to my mom, who hasn;t read it at all. If you want deeper info in the old tetament down to the 12 sons of Jacob, read that book. Its cool

Anyway, God bless you all...oh, wait

some good books on the nephilim and fallen angels I have read are "The nepilim and the pyramid of the apocalypse" by Patrick heron
"Caverns, Cauldronss and concealed creatures" by Wm. Michael Mott, and "Genesis 6 Giants" by Steven Quayle. These three men are christian brothers in Christ.
And an added bonus is if you cant get their books, just youtube them. Each has interveiws about their material and books there.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
when the hybribs and fallen angels come back, nobody will understand what is going on. The general popultion will believe a great lie, and God will give them over to it. Their hearts will fail them due to what is coming upon the earth.

It also amazes me about how much of the book of Enoch has similarities to the Bible. And I also had the book of Jashur in my librariy as well, but gave it to my mom, who hasn;t read it at all. If you want deeper info in the old tetament down to the 12 sons of Jacob, read that book. Its cool

The Qur'an is very similar to the Bible as well, but I wouldn't recommend accepting it as gospel (pun intended).

"when the hybribs and fallen angels come back, nobody will understand what is going on"
Really? Nobody understands what's going on now. Why wait.

The Bible does not indicate that spiritual hybrids will return because sexual relations between angels and women were forbidden by God.
The fallen angels never left. They're called demons and have been quite busy all along. It is also possible that they have gotten into the publishing business as a sideline. God knows there is a lot of misleading rubbish out there. That's not to say that your book is rubbish because I haven't read it.

According to your endorsement, however, it sounds like something I'd prefer to avoid.

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
It amazes me that such a book is vertually inisible to the body of Christ, but also understandable as well.

it is invisible because it is not inspired nor scripture and can be rejected without problems.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Thanks vetren, i will check 'from the hip' for my self. It amazes me that such a book is vertually inisible to the body of Christ, but also understandable as well.

Anyway, God bless you all...oh, wait

some good books on the nephilim and fallen angels I have read are "The nepilim and the pyramid of the apocalypse" by Patrick heron
"Caverns, Cauldronss and concealed creatures" by Wm. Michael Mott, and "Genesis 6 Giants" by Steven Quayle. These three men are christian brothers in Christ.
And an added bonus is if you cant get their books, just youtube them. Each has interveiws about their material and books there.

The Book of Enoch is interesting, and I don't see anything wrong with reading it. Although it is not canonized, I think it does contain some elements of truth, which is why Jude quoted from the book. The Jewish people knew of its existance, but they also did not canonized it.

BaldJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Oregon
Funny, magic sunglasses, made me think of Forest Gump, "Momma said they were my magic sunglasses"........

And Vereten, Ilistened to thr first Thing on Enoch at from the hip. Realy good insight, I liked how he explained that the necian council fought over including the book of Enoch and the book of Revelations. Can you imagine not having Revelation? Strange thought. But, both should have been included.