Why I Don't 'do' Church.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shmity72

Feb 17, 2009
Hello,

I'll try and keep this long and winded.

my name is jason and i do not go to church every sunday.

yes. i'd like it if my family went on occasion, perhaps a methodist church; as my research has shown that they are fairly progressive.

I do 'do' church on occasion. sometimes it's with christian friends over the phone and we read from the bible or one of us will say a prayer and open with conversations/musings/meditations on what it is we've read/heard/thought about.

this isn't cutting it, though i don't see much of an alternative. I believe that modern day churches are often times exercises in mass hypnosis. I think the Lord would be ashamed of 1/2 of the churches out there. the other half He would be rather ambivalent to, and some would be right up His ally.

I want to join one that doesn't purport that i'll get rich and happy if I join and all that garbage. I'm not saying i want to become a quaker or amish. though i think they were on the right track at one time, but i would like to be able to praise His work in an assembly atmosphere.

please help! do not delete this. i am not a jacobyte/heretic. i just would like to have open writings with some learned folks like yourself.

in all sincerety, Jason

gumby

May 29, 2009
Do you not know that by talking with god and loving god that your already in church, god doesnt need walls to be contained in he can move wherever and whenever he wishes. Do you realize that your having church right now with me or any other CB member.

God bless :)

6stringedsignseeker

Mar 10, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
Do you not know that by talking with god and loving god that your already in church, god doesnt need walls to be contained in he can move wherever and whenever he wishes. Do you realize that your having church right now with me or any other CB member.

God bless  :)
This is something I feel strongly about... Church isn't a building with four walls a roof and some pretty stained glass windows. That's "A" church. "The" church, however, is the body of christians throughout the world... believers from Buffalo to Bangkok (and everywhere around and in between) who have all accepted Christ as Lord and Savior. You don't have to (allthough I'm sure some will disagree with me) go into a building on a Sunday morning to have church. The early church worshiped where they could, sometimes in catacombs... yeah amongst the bones of the dead. The worshiped where they could. Anytime you're having a conversation with someone, a friend a relative, a stranger, about the bible or faith or Christ... that's church, whether it's in a nice white building with a steeple and pews, or a coffee shop, or where ever you may be. Study your bible, fellowship with friends, spread the gospel. Pray. Ask God to lead you... this may take you to a church building where you can have a church family and all that, and it may lead you to a street corner with a homeless person. I've had some good church with a homeless man. 

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Hi, Jason,
I just want to throw this out there. "Church" is not a word found in the Original Writings of the oldest manuscripts, and many translators have returned to a better match (although not correct), using "assembly". In the Greek, the word is ecclesia. It is not a proper noun, such as "Church" has become. It simply means, "out-called" persons, and applies to God's saints, or tradesmen, or lawyers(Acts 19), or any group convened for a purpose. Study Strong's G1577, and look up every passage its in. You will find the KJV has lots of different words for "ecclesia", which is typical of that grand book. After doing that, you will have much light given you on the word ecclesia, and its true meaning.

I cannot number the fellowships and "churches" that have departed from the truth and are bound by rituals and traditions. In fact, anything that places the name "Church" in its title should be suspect, for it is an unscriptural word to describe God's people, and there is great danger in departing from the sound words of the Scriptures. The use of the word "church" to describe the Body of Christ is a sign of departure.

That God has given a measure of faith to you, according to His purpose, shows that you are a spiritual person. Capitalize on it. If going through a social network is what you feel you need, go for it. Gatherings with others who name the name of the Lord has its benefits. Just remember, you will have to abide by the rules of that group. And you should, if you plan to be a part of a "fellowhip". We all have "church" in our backgrounds. But nothing will take the place of you walking closely with your God and Christ, of your own response to His love for you, and the worship and adoration He deserves from you alone. You cannot rely on others for this, though they can support your efforts. Each man will give an account of his own self before the bema seat of Christ. What I say, and what others tell you won't enter into the picture at all. It will be just you and Him.

Study, study, study; pray, pray, pray; His eye is on you to make you His own.

fivesense

thurt

Mar 10, 2010
I understand what you're saying; however, I would like to share what we learned. Hopefully, it'll be received in the spirit it's shared.

My husband and I stayed out of church for about 15 years because of the shortcomings we saw and experienced. We watched Christian programming and felt we had heard more sermons than those that went to church, etc.

The fallout - We failed our children. Couple of things - they didn't see how important it was to set time aside for the Sabbath (one of the ten) nor realize the bonds that can be established with Yahweh and other people through getting to know other believers through church attendance. We didn't realize that we had set our sights on the people especially leadership instead of keeping them on Yahweh. People are going to have shortcomings - us included. He uses things like that for us to grow but we left the church entirely. We chose what we thought instead of obeying His Word says - don't forsake the assembly of yourselves.

There are churches that are there to worship Yahweh and follow His leading in their services. He has a particular place for you in a particular church. If you'll ask Him, He'll let you know.

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
Hebrews 10: 25 reads as follows: "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

The assembling is a reference to the local church. Beloved, Jesus promised to build his church in spite of the devil and death (Matt. 16: 18). Jesus did in fact establish his church ("church" is used in the universal sense, Matt. 16: 18, and in the local sense, I Cor. 1: 2). Jesus' church is not an amalgamation of all the man-made religions, but is based on the premise of "one faith" and "one body" (Eph. 4: 5, 4, I Cor. 1: 10).

A number of commandments are to be executed in the assembly. The command to sing and make melody in the heart is an assembly command (notice "one to another," Eph. 5: 19, Col. 3: 16). Giving into the treasury of the local church necessitates the assembly (I Cor. 16: 1, 2). It is in the assembled local church that Christians commemorate Jesus' death and anticipate his return in partaking of the Lord's Supper (Acts 20: 7, I Cor. 11: 23-26).

The Lord's church is essential. The common attitude is "going to church has nothing to do with my salvation." Beloved, this attitude is wrong. The writer of Hebrews equates the abandonment of the local church with falling away from Christ. Apart from Christ and his church, "...there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins" (Heb. 10: 26).

Concerned reader, you are invited to check out the Lord's church (Rom. 16: 16).

http://www.biblequestions.org/archives/BQAR160.htm

shmity72

Feb 17, 2009
thank you for your thoughtful reply's ...i'll meditate and pray some more. then come back with a coherent response.

thanks again

~Jason

bling

May 5, 2009
Hello,

yes. i'd like it if my family went on occasion, perhaps a methodist church; as my research has shown that they are fairly progressive.

I do 'do' church on occasion. sometimes it's with christian friends over the phone and we read from the bible or one of us will say a prayer and open with conversations/musings/meditations on what it is we've read/heard/thought about.

this isn't cutting it, though i don't see much of an alternative. I believe that modern day churches are often times exercises in mass hypnosis. I think the Lord would be ashamed of 1/2 of the churches out there. the other half He would be rather ambivalent to, and some would be right up His ally.

I want to join one that doesn't purport that i'll get rich and happy if I join and all that garbage. I'm not saying i want to become a quaker or amish. though i think they were on the right track at one time, but i would like to be able to praise His work in an assembly atmosphere.

please help! do not delete this. i am not a jacobyte/heretic. i just would like to have open writings with some learned folks like yourself.

in all sincerety, Jason

If you praqy for God's help with this, he might allow some tragedy to over take you and really make you want the fellowshipc of other believers. It might be better to start this on your own and avoid God's help.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I want to say is my computer's been down - not my fault- and I'll get back at ya.
XX
:) Miss Hepburn

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
... my name is jason and i do not go to church every sunday. ...
Hi Jason,
What they are calling "church" isn't.
God only set up one church (see Acts 2:4, 33, 39; 10:44-48; 1 Cor. 12:13), meetings have the orderly use of the gifts and ministries of the Spirit (see 1 Corinthians 14) so people are aware of the presence and ability of God. Most people have never joined this church.

If they did, they would get a new, true perspective on what "the faith" is.

Having spend hours (perhaps years) at these other places you might think would they be open-minded enough to visit a church like this just once?

I go here, there are a few others that I know of.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Hello,

in all sincerety, Jason

a learned folk

Therefore we correctly confess in the Creed that we believe a holy church. For it is invisible, dwelling in the Spirit . . . therefore its holiness cannot be seen. God conceals and covers it with weaknesses, sins, errors, and various offenses and forms of the cross in such a way that it is not evident to the senses anywhere. Those who are ignorant of this are immediately offended when they see the weaknesses and sins of those who are baptized, have the Word, and believe; and they conclude that such people do not belong to the church . . . Anyone who thinks this way turns the article of the Creed, "I believe a holy church," upside down; he replaces "I believe" with "I see" (LW 27:84-85).

For, thank God, a child seven years old knows what the Church is, namely, the holy believers and lambs who hear the voice of their Shepherd. For the children pray thus: I believe in one holy Christian Church. This holiness does not consist in albs, tonsures, long gowns, and other of their ceremonies devised by them beyond Holy Scripture, but in the Word of God and true faith (Smalcald Articles, III.12.2-3).

They are not called saints because they are without sin or have become saintly through works. On the contrary, they themselves, with all their works, are nothing but condemned sinners. But they became holy through a foreign holiness, namely, through that of the Lord Jesus Christ, which is given them by faith and thus becomes their own. This faith is so strong and powerful that it covers and wipes away all sins and shortcomings that remain in flesh and blood (WA 28:177 as translated in Ewald Plass, What Luther Says 3978).