Why is God portrayed so differently in the Old and New Testaments?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 1:

17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
The God of the Old Testament seems to be a God of wrath while the God of the New Testament is a God of love.

There is some truth to that. The OT covered thousands of years while the NT covered only about a century. The way God dealt with people was different at different times with different covenants and different revelations.

Is the OT God different from the NT God?

No, there is only one God, all pointing to the same God. Now, we are not talking about his interactions with people. We are talking about his identity, character, and nature.

Malachi 3:

6 I the LORD do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.
James 1:

17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Hebrews 13:

8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Why does God seem to be portrayed differently in the Old and New Testaments?

God dealt with his creation differently at different times, but it is the same God. His nature does not change.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:

The God of the Old Testament seems to be a God of wrath while the God of the New Testament is a God of love.

There is some truth to that. The OT covered thousands of years while the NT covered only about a century. The way God dealt with people was different at different times with different covenants and different revelations.

No, there is only one God, all pointing to the same God. Now, we are not talking about his interactions with people. We are talking about his identity, character, and nature.

God dealt with his creation differently at different times, but it is the same God. His nature does not change.
I have to mildly disagree with you on this one. Not only does God's nature not change, but neither does His tactics. We often get a false idea of a "change" in divine tactics by looking at the testament periods wrong. For example, the heretic Marcion viewed it wrong this way, and came up with the notion that there are actually 2 gods, and not just one.

It is falsely thought that since Israel fell, now God no longer deals with nations. Since He rejected that ethnic group and expanded to other ethnic groups, it is falsely thought that God no longer pays any attention to ethnicities at all.

In reality, the modern trend towards democracy and religious neutrality is a subversion of divine truth. Although Christian countries have adopted so-called "freedom of religion," in reality it is a corruption of God's command to Israel to have "no other gods."

Although I'm not Dispensationalist, I do agree with Dispensationalism in the belief that Israel has not been cast off forever. God has not stopped recognizing promises He made to a specific nation and to a specific ethnicity. Nor in casting off the Law has God determined to no longer believe in "only one God."

The OT system was not inconsistent with the NT system system, although they were obviously having to be different, since these periods are separated by the death and resurrection of Christ. One system prepared for Christ's resurrection, whereas the new system follows what Christ's resurrection accomplished.

One system kept men in covenant relationship with God, although restrained by the lack of legal resurrection rights. The other system acknowledges that resurrection has been obtained, and that men no longer need to remain in covenant relationship with God only by temporary measures.

I should add that although I believe "theocracy" is still God's norm, I don't think He expects us to promote it when we live in countries that are majority-opposed to that. Our purpose is not to be seditious, but rather, to model God's love and tolerance, even as we speak what we believe. We are not "protesting," but rather, "witnessing."

And so, we should advocate for the Kingdom, and not for a pluralistic democracy, in my opinion. Theocracies only work when the majority of a population opt for "Christian rule," ie rule by Christian leaders and under a Christian Constitution. So our "political activism" should conform to that reality, is my advice.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:

Malachi 3:

James 1:

Hebrews 13:

Why does God seem to be portrayed differently in the Old and New Testaments?

I didn't notice that God was portrayed differently in the New Testament. He's just trying to get us to repent (Matt 4:17).