Why is it so hard to find a copy of the Douay-Rheims Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feel free to skip this paragraph, it is just me explaining how I got to the question. Recently I won an Amazon gift card and used it to buy a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This inspired me to build a home altar with a Bible, a censure, the Catechism, some candles, a prayer book, a rosary box, etc. on it. Although I am a non-denominational Christian, I have a deep connection to Catholicism so I decided on Catholic stuff. As such I looked for the best Catholic translations and narrowed it down to the Douay-Rheims version and the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition. I am familiar with the RSV and its problems, so I decided on the DRV. (I will probably end up getting the RSV I was thinking of buying as well).

I went looking online to find a copy of the Douay-Rheims Bible and to my surprise, there is only one being sold at a reasonable price (and the different books of it being sold individually for some reason). So I was wondering, why is this version so hard to find? It is in the public domain and could be mass produced, and it has been updated recent enough to be readable so you would think it would be more wildly available, especially since there is an audience for it (Catholics who want something with a classic flavor and a more reliable than the modern translations). What are your thoughts?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what you mean by "reasonable price" but Amazon has a bunch of them ranging from $20 to $50. Some a little more and some less. Unfortunately, these aren't unusual prices for Bibles these day. To me the selling of God's word for money has gotten completely out of control. If you live in an area where there are some Catholic churches you might just go around and see if they have any they'll sell to you or give to you. If you have any Goodwill stores in your area I've found them to be a very good place to find used books and Bibles. You might also check any rescue missions in your area. They typically get a lot Bibles donated and if they have a Douay-Rheims they'll probably just give it to you. There are also a lot of online vendors who sell used books; you might check out some of those.

Reactions: Cassandra

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I bought the kindle edition of the Latin Vulgate (with English as well. Latin on one side, English on the other.

I'm with you @PossibleThrowawayAccount, I prefer books.

My daughter, who is a non practicing Catholic, and doesn't believe a lot of the stuff, likes to make rosaries. She doesn't use them--she just likes to make them. Once she made a rosary out of actual rose petals, but she gave it away (Both my daughter and granddaughter can make almost anything--taught themselves to sew, knit and crochet. They can look at a dress online and make it without buying a pattern.My daughter makes signs (farmhouse-type from wood)and She can reupholster and my granddaughter buys dolls at the store takes them apart, and redoes the faces ( she even makes eyes). Me? I can't do squat. I always tell them that if they lived in Solomon's time, maybe they would helped Hiram and others with the Temple)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This inspired me to build a home altar with a Bible, a censure, the Catechism, some candles, a prayer book, a rosary box, etc. on it. Although I am a non-denominational Christian, I have a deep connection to Catholicism so I decided on Catholic stuff.
You can access the Douay-Rheims Bible for free online, here: Douay-Rheims Bible Online, Official Catholic Version with Search.
I suppose he could put a Samsung Galaxy tablet or an iPad on his home altar, tuned to that webpage. I'm not sure that's the message he intends to convey, though.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay....
But which Latin Vulgate? There were about four different ones and each wildly varying from each other. Where most of these differences contain no theological differences....the text itself is not consistent between the various copies. Which is the problem.

And since that time the Catholics have been updating their translation for Americans ever since....using it akin to some sort of talisman like a St. Christopher medal or something.

Their latest translations are actually fairly decent. I've used them since the one published in the 60's or 70's.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Feel free to skip this paragraph, it is just me explaining how I got to the question. Recently I won an Amazon gift card and used it to buy a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This inspired me to build a home altar with a Bible, a censure, the Catechism, some candles, a prayer book, a rosary box, etc. on it. Although I am a non-denominational Christian, I have a deep connection to Catholicism so I decided on Catholic stuff. As such I looked for the best Catholic translations and narrowed it down to the Douay-Rheims version and the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition. I am familiar with the RSV and its problems, so I decided on the DRV. (I will probably end up getting the RSV I was thinking of buying as well).

I went looking online to find a copy of the Douay-Rheims Bible and to my surprise, there is only one being sold at a reasonable price (and the different books of it being sold individually for some reason). So I was wondering, why is this version so hard to find? It is in the public domain and could be mass produced, and it has been updated recent enough to be readable so you would think it would be more wildly available, especially since there is an audience for it (Catholics who want something with a classic flavor and a more reliable than the modern translations). What are your thoughts?

Edited for spelling.
Finding a Authorised King James Vision is not seen anymore in new book shops.

I went to buy a New top shelf RC Bible. I looked through it a bit and found it to be a disgrace, i said no thanks ! and looked for a real Bible like i had took from my G mother when she passed away, it is a 1953 Catholic Action edition.
Then i found another 1961 CAE. and it had the words of Jesus in Red but the same thing, the new one was totaly bastardised and dumbed down rubbish !
My old 1953 was getting to worn out. so i needed another.