Why is the Bible called the Goodnews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

babalobi

Mar 23, 2011
Memorise: "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!'' (Isaiah 52:7).

Read: Isaiah 52:6-8

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!" (Isaiah 52:7). The world around us is full of evil. Newspapers thrive by reporting bad news.

To them bad news is good news because its helps them to sell their newspapers. Good news is regarded as 'publicity' and may therefore go unannounced. Pick most newspapers today you will read: Ten buses were involved in an accident killing 50 people on board.

A molue bus fell off the bridge into the lagoon. An aeroplane crashed immediately after take off in a particular country. A popular artiste was involved in a sex scandal, etc. The greater the mishap, the happier and richer the press.

Visit http://christonline.info/blog/?p=7299 for more on this

for sermons and prayer points visit: http://christonline.info

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
To be more specific it is actually Gospel that emans Good knews. It coems from the old Anglo-Saxon word God-spell) which evolved into Gospel. The Latin word for Gospel is Evangelium, which is where we get the word Evangelical from.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yep... it's the gospel... and the gospel is very GOOD NEWS... if the person talking about it is making it sound like bad news stop listening to them... haha

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
You mean if all they can talk abut his death, judgement and Hell to frighten you into believing.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
death judgement and hell aren't good news no matter how you dress them up. The problem is that too many chruches concentrate on frightenning people into believing. Hell can only frighten believers. Talka bout Hell to an athiest and they just laugh.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
From my experience most fear based teaching isn't based on bringing people to God but for the purpose of getting people to submit to them...

One thing I noticed back in the day was this pastor quoting Jesus when He said, "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him"

And then went on to talk about how we should fear God but once again the dude completely lost what Jesus was saying by taking something out of context because what Jesus said next was, “Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."

So what Jesus was actually saying in context was if you're gonna fear someone you should fear God... but you're valuable to God so don't fear... God loves you...

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
From my experience most fear based teaching isn't based on bringing people to God but for the purpose of getting people to submit to them...

One thing I noticed back in the day was this pastor quoting Jesus when He said, "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him"

And then went on to talk about how we should fear God but once again the dude completely lost what Jesus was saying by taking something out of context because what Jesus said next was, “Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."

So what Jesus was actually saying in context was if you're gonna fear someone you should fear God... but you're valuable to God so don't fear... God loves you...

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."

I agree. I had trouble understanding "the fear of the Lord" when growing up. I think of it in a few parts. I think of it like a father telling his son not to cross the street before looking both ways for the sake of the life of the son. Also I think of how I wouldn't want to hurt God because he's my friend, and I care for God on an emotional level, and I understand how my actions can affect his temper both positively and negatively because he invests so much into me. I think of it also how he is my Lord, and I owe him everything and am dedicated in willing service to his instructions for increasing His kingdom on earth establishing with Him his reign over evil and darkness.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I agree. I had trouble understanding "the fear of the Lord" when growing up. I think of it in a few parts. I think of it like a father telling his son not to cross the street before looking both ways for the sake of the life of the son. Also I think of how I wouldn't want to hurt God because he's my friend, and I care for God on an emotional level, and I understand how my actions can affect his temper both positively and negatively because he invests so much into me. I think of it also how he is my Lord, and I owe him everything and am dedicated in willing service to his instructions for increasing His kingdom on earth establishing with Him his reign over evil and darkness.

This is probably one of the kindest most accurate statements of a personal 'fear of the Lord' that I've read.

Most associate the fear of the Lord with a corrupted effort to extort money and support for the preservation of a religious franchise.

Modern religion in America is a business, pure and simple. There is very little consideration for the personal sheparding of the souls on the part of the church CEO/CRO (Chief Religious Officer ). Does not the N.T. speak much of the care of widows and orphans? When was the last time you encountered a church that took care of widows and orphans (let's also include divorcees in this category since it does indeed seem to speak of the plight of single parents).

The church DOES NOT take care of it's own. Period.
Oh yes, there are many many church sponsored community social programs which are needful. Reliance upon the government to do this job is like leaning on the proverbial sharpened stick.
When was the last time you needed help and got it from a church? I can't even get in to see the pastor without an appointment a minimum of three weeks in advance !

As for me and my house, we rely upon the Lord - fear and all. Where is help from the hand of man or church when troubled times hit? My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer several years ago and we were amazed at how many friends and family deserted us and retreated into the woodword like so many cockroaches. They don't tell you that will happen when you come down with that disease, but it does happen.

The fear of the Lord is rightly directed at the One who loves us best. The fear of the church is nothing but contempt as far as I'm concerned.