Why is the "Imputed righteousness" scheme so seductive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He goes beyond that to claim that as an "episkopos", he has been "visited" by God and approved, which now gives him the right and authority to approve or reject others.

He meant to say episkopai for his name, and then he never changed it. But that's just me giving you information you didn't know.

Isn't it you who think you have the authority to approve or reject others, based on a visitation you received? You are the one doing the very thing you say he is doing. And to protect your status, you grind the face of the poor into the dirt. You didn't do one thing of yourself to receive sight, yet you are now rich and in need of nothing and can make judgement on the destitute. You terrify me.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The righteousness of Christ as it is given to us is not only imputed and/or positional; it is also imparted and practical (Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6, 1 John 3:7).

First of all it is the righteousness of God....not of Christ...and this is given to God's servants...they who are His bond-slaves.

The cost to enter under His righteousness is everything....being emptied...having the same mind that was in Christ.

Isaiah 54:17
17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.

Reactions: faithfulness

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because of the beauty bestowed on us, will we now be lifted up?

Your heart was proud because of the beauty bestowed upon you, you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor.

How is it possible that, saying we follow Christ, we instead follow the path of Satan...?

Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because of the beauty bestowed on us, will we now be lifted up?

Your heart was proud because of the beauty bestowed upon you, you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor.

So we see that it is not about the grace we have received or the many blessings that were bestowed upon us...but what these did to our character. To remain humble in heart and fear the Lord....that is wisdom. :)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all it is the righteousness of God....not of Christ...

The righteousness of God IS the Spirit of Christ. Matthew 5:43-48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. [44] But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; [45] That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. [46] For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? [47] And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others ? do not even the publicans so? [48] Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

1 Peter 1:10-11 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: [11] Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

1 Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. And that passage also says, you were perfect until unrighteousness was found in you...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning judging, @stunnedbygrace, I would bring up a few verses.

Isa 56:1, Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
Isa 56:2, Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Jhn 7:24, Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Phl 1:9, And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

First of all it is the righteousness of God....not of Christ...

Christ is God.

@Episkopos, This makes me wonder if you are even saved. The Deity of Christ is a doctrine that is essential to salvation (John 8:24).

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Isa 56:1, Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
Isa 56:2, Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Phl 1:9, And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

Christ is God.

@Episkopos, This makes me wonder if you are even saved. The Deity of Christ is a doctrine that is essential to salvation (John 8:24).

It's hard to speak to a religious person. Everything is about dogmatics... ;)
Nobody is finally saved until the end of their lives on earth. Until then we are still in the running. Everything we do counts towards the final judgment.

But to understand that the righteousness mentioned in the bible that is imputed to us...is our own. No one can impute another's righteousness to oneself...unless it be a lie.

But God gives us HIS righteousness when He sends us out as His servants. That's why the disciples were to tarry in Jerusalem. After all nobody can raise the dead by their own righteousness. Or look how Ananias and Sapphira dropped dead....certainly not by Peter's personality or power...no...it was by the righteousness of God.

So then to show the sheer lunacy of "alien" righteousness...it would have to read... And Abraham believed God so he got God's righteousness attributed to Him (since God hates for anyone else to have any kind of righteousness).

As in...Abraham didn't believe God...God believed God!!!! So then the imputation is righteous!

Actually,.... foolishness apart...God attributed righteousness to the faith of Abraham. The righteousness of faith (not the righteousness of God.) God is NOT faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea;
A great High Priest, whose Name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart;
I know that while with God He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart;
No tongue can bid me thence depart

When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look, and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God, the Just, is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me;
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there, the risen Lamb!
My perfect, spotless Righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself, I cannot die;
My soul is purchased by His blood;
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ, my Savior and my God;
With Christ, my Savior and my God.

Before the Throne of God Above - Sovereign Grace Music

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Phl 1:9, And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment

This is a perfect example of indoctrination removing fear of God and producing a lawyer. To use verses to defend yourself and to cancel out other words from God. You are now using verses to defend judging others

All verses about judging others and what will happen if we do, get cancelled out and fear is gone. This is not the kind of boldness Gods Spirit produces.

Reactions: Episkopos

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a perfect example of indoctrination removing fear of God and producing a lawyer. To use verses to defend yourself and to cancel out other words from God. You are now using verses to defend judging others

All verses about judging others and what will happen if we do, get cancelled out and fear is gone. This is not the kind of boldness Gods Spirit produces.
So; are you saying that the verses that I have brought forth are invalid?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not that I started with a judgmental attitude and then picked those verses to defend "my sin" of being judgmental.

It is that the Lord told me to keep judgment in those verses; and I do so in obedience to His word.

The verses defend my behaviour because my behaviour is the result of following them.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So; are you saying that the verses that I have brought forth are invalid?

No. I am saying you present one side, in defense of judging unbelievers, without the entire counsel from God, and that in doing so, you are using the words from God to defend yourself in your judgement while ignoring the verses that would save you from this terrifying error and bring you back to wisdom.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not that I started with a judgmental attitude and then picked those verses to defend "my sin" of being judgmental.

It is that the Lord told me to keep judgment in those verses; and I do so in obedience to His word.

The verses defend my behaviour because my behaviour is the result of following them.

The words from God are not to be used the way you use them.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I am saying you present one side, in defense of judging unbelievers, without the entire counsel from God, and that in doing so, you are using the words from God to defend yourself in your judgement while ignoring the verses that would save you from this terrifying error and bring you back to wisdom.
What verses tell me not to judge? The only passage that I can think of that tells me this is Matthew 7:1-6.

And in that passage, it tells me to take the log out of my own eye first, and then I will see clearly to take the speck out of my brother's eye. So there is a time and a place for removing my brother's speck.

Also, in context of that, we are told to be fruit inspectors (You will know a tree by its fruit). How is it possible to do that if we do not judge?

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words from God are not to be used the way you use them.
And you are not judging me in saying this.

I could rail on you now as Jesus did to the scribes and Pharisees (in Matthew 23); but I refrain because it is very likely against the rules of the boards (not to mention I might be accused of being un-Christ-like. Ironic, isn't it?).