Why is there so much confusion regarding the teachings of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave us the Bible to teach us about Him and His ways, and since God is not a God of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33), any and all confusion must come from the destructive forces of the world, the flesh, and the devil. The “world” refers to the ungodly world system and its people who do not understand or care about the Word of God; the “flesh” is the lingering sinful nature Christians possess that corrupts their godly walk; and the devil refers to Satan and his demons who twist God’s Word, often while masquerading as angels of light (2 Corinthians 11:14-15).

Each of these forces can act individually or in unison in an attempt to confuse people about the Word of God. But, most confusion results from our own laziness and/or false teaching. Ultimately, and most tragically, confusion about the Bible can lead to a false hope of salvation. And that is Satan’s ultimate goal. When Satan tempted Jesus, he used misinterpretations of the Word of God for his attacks. Satan does the same thing today, taking a truth of Scripture and misapplying it. Satan is skilled at twisting the Word of God just enough so that it produces disastrous consequences, while still sounding like the Word of God.

Sometimes confusion over what the Bible teaches originates from poor Bible translations, or even intentionally distorted translations. More often, though, confusion results from a lack of serious study among believers and the false preachers, teachers, and writers (2 Corinthians 11:12-13) who are found on radio, television, and the Internet. These false prophets take even proper translations and, through both ignorance and design, twist and distort the Word of God to promote their own agenda or appeal to the thinking of the world. Instead of lazy Bible study and relying on others to teach us the Word of God, we should study God’s Word diligently and rely on the Holy Spirit. He will open the heart to God’s truth concerning Himself and His creation, prayer, worship, Christian love, our battle with Satan, personal conduct, church conduct, and achieving a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Most deadly, confusion is rampant regarding the truth of the gospel. While Scripture teaches that Jesus Christ is the only way, the only truth, and the only life (John 14:6; Acts 4:12), today many who call themselves evangelical Christians believe that heaven can be gained by other ways and other religions. But in spite of apparent confusion, the sheep will still hear the voice of the Shepherd and will follow only Him (John 10:27). Those who do not belong to the Shepherd “will not endure sound doctrine, but they will heap up teachers to themselves according to their own lusts, tickling the ear” (2 Timothy 4:3). God has given us His Spirit and the command to preach biblical truth with humility and patience, in and out of season (2 Timothy 4:2), and to study to show ourselves approved, workers who correctly handle the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15) until the Lord Jesus returns and puts an end to all confusion.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi tsr,
Thank God we have the Holy Spirit to help us discern things and leave confusion behind.
Since, I have no answers and don't bother myself with the 'whys and how comes'.
It's like there's a rose right in front of me ...do I wanna ponder where I stepped into some mud...no, who cares?
Wipe it off, be done with it and smell the rose.
That's just my take....and so far so good! :)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
God gave us the Bible to teach us about Him and His ways, and since God is not a God of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33), any and all confusion must come from

Satan is the author of confusion.
So thats a problem, as he exists to cause it.
You can believe that 300 "new versions" are not what God was trying to do., especially considering that they contradict each other, or some have verses missing, or , the verses are so altered that they are misleading.
So, who would cause that confusion?

And then you have self righteous spiritual morons, standing in pulpits correcting the word of God, with "The original greek", says.
So, that is more confusion.

Next, the word of God, is a Spiritual Book.
You understand it by the Spirit, (spiritual revelation) and not by the soulish intellect.
All unbelievers can't understand the bible, and all carnal Christians can't understand the NT.

So, all that is a lot of confusion, and out of that, you have DENOMINATIONS.

The good news is, there are no denominations in heaven.
But down here, its all you have, because that is what confusion CREATES.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan is the author of confusion.
So thats a problem, as he exists to cause it.
Yes.
But for me he is about as much of a 'problem' as a fly on my shoulder I shew away.
He's got nothin' but a lotta hot air. Thank you, Lord.
I was blind and now I see that.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most deadly, confusion is rampant regarding the truth of the gospel. While Scripture teaches that Jesus Christ is the only way, the only truth, and the only life (John 14:6; Acts 4:12), today many who call themselves evangelical Christians believe that heaven can be gained by other ways and other religions

John 14:6 is one of my favorite verses in Scripture! While I agree with your general point, "only" is not in the text.

You answered your own question very well below. In another thread, we talked about babies and those who have not heard the Good News.

all confusion must come from the destructive forces of the world, the flesh, and the devil.

The only other point I'd make in the hopes of bringing harmony is differences among denominations are not about the main point as found in John 14:6 but minor doctrinal issues. If you want to call this 'confusion,' OK. One example comes to mind is the notion of soul sleep.

If some want to believe this is what Scripture says while others believe a verse supports our dearly departed loved ones are 'in heaven looking down on us," it does not change the way is Jesus.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi tsr,
Thank God we have the Holy Spirit to help us discern things and leave confusion behind.
Since, I have no answers and don't bother myself with the 'whys and how comes'.
It's like there's a rose right in front of me ...do I wanna ponder where I stepped into some mud...no, who cares?
Wipe it off, be done with it and smell the rose.
That's just my take....and so far so good! :)
Hello Ms. Hepburn!
Beauty in simplicity! :) When I do not quite "get" something in The Word, I put it on a shelf and just come back to it later. I've also stopped asking God "why" too...not my business! His ways are perfect, we don't always need to know the why, TG!
Glad your back sister!

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...today many who call themselves evangelical Christians believe that heaven can be gained by other ways and other religions.
We should always remember the lessons in (1) the Parable of the Sower, (2) the Parable of the Tares, (3) the Parable of the Leaven, and (4) the Parable of the Good and Bad Fish. All of these apply to Christendom.

Reactions: Nancy