Why Self Love Fails

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a popular movement among social media influencers, even Christian ones, promoting Self love.

Self love is talked about as the solution and antidote to self-hatred, body image insecurities, and low confidence.

However, I noticed that often, in the next breath, these influencers will admit that they still struggle with feeling bad about themselves at times and still have days where they struggle with self-hatred.

This is because self love, whether it be in the form of self care and pampering, or positive affirmations to oneself, fails to address the root problem.

The Bible actually states that self love is a serious problem that will occur in the last days.

2 Timothy 3:1-5

King James Version (Emphasis Mine)

3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

The Bible does not promote needing to love oneself as a solution to anything, but rather being reborn through the salvation and Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Once under the Lordship of Jesus, we are not to look inward for fulfillment but outward: loving God and loving our neighbors.

There is great joy, not in self love, but in being useful to others. I propose the answer to self loathing is not self love but rather self-forgetfulness. That humble outward focus that acknowledges oneself honest and fairly, but then focuses on the things that matter.

When you are blessing others with your gifts and talents, you aren't self loathing. You're not focusing on yourself at all. It's our self absorption that actually makes us miserable.

When you enter a room and think of your insecurities, you can make yourself miserable. But if you enter a room and think, how can I bless others, you can enjoy the conversations a lot more.

Self-love is part of the revolving door of self absorption that eventually makes its way back to self-loathing again.

Get out of the revolving door. Give thanks and praise to God who made you and seek to do the things that God made for you to do.

That is what's missing. You cannot, within yourself, hold back the tide of negative judgmental thoughts about your body or your identity. But you can humbly receive the mind of Christ who made Himself nothing on behalf of the world and suffered for the joy set before Him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

I was taught as a new Christian that if you didn't 'love' yourself - i.e. respect yourself - then you wouldn't be able to love others as you're supposed to do. If you think so very little of yourself it's harder to care about other people. I have found from my own experience over the years that this is true. And when I have found myself beating myself up and disliking myself I need to confess it as a sin and seek God's forgiveness. And it always lifts me back to where I should be,

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To love yourself is to gain wisdom.

Wisdom is founded in Jesus Christ.

Vid

May 12, 2021
France
stephanepautrot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
France
The way I understand "lovers of their own selves" in 2 Timothy 3:2 is "selfishness". There is nothing selfish in taking care of oneself, even if only because it is much more difficult to love our neighbor when we are exhausted, underfed, sad or angry. Now if some people own a yacht they only use once a month to host a party and they think they need it to be happy, that definitely sounds like too much of loving one's own self to me. The difficult part is to know where to draw the line. Should we move to a smaller house or flat and give the spared money to the poor? Should we stop going on holidays and give the spared money to the poor? Should we stop taking tennis or piano lessons? We cannot answer that question with our minds. We can only answer it with our hearts.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There is a popular movement among social media influencers, even Christian ones, promoting Self love.

Self love is talked about as the solution and antidote to self-hatred, body image insecurities, and low confidence.

However, I noticed that often, in the next breath, these influencers will admit that they still struggle with feeling bad about themselves at times and still have days where they struggle with self-hatred.

This is because self love, whether it be in the form of self care and pampering, or positive affirmations to oneself, fails to address the root problem.

The Bible actually states that self love is a serious problem that will occur in the last days.

2 Timothy 3:1-5

King James Version (Emphasis Mine)

3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

The Bible does not promote needing to love oneself as a solution to anything, but rather being reborn through the salvation and Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Once under the Lordship of Jesus, we are not to look inward for fulfillment but outward: loving God and loving our neighbors.

There is great joy, not in self love, but in being useful to others. I propose the answer to self loathing is not self love but rather self-forgetfulness. That humble outward focus that acknowledges oneself honest and fairly, but then focuses on the things that matter.

When you are blessing others with your gifts and talents, you aren't self loathing. You're not focusing on yourself at all. It's our self absorption that actually makes us miserable.

When you enter a room and think of your insecurities, you can make yourself miserable. But if you enter a room and think, how can I bless others, you can enjoy the conversations a lot more.

Self-love is part of the revolving door of self absorption that eventually makes its way back to self-loathing again.

Get out of the revolving door. Give thanks and praise to God who made you and seek to do the things that God made for you to do.

That is what's missing. You cannot, within yourself, hold back the tide of negative judgmental thoughts about your body or your identity. But you can humbly receive the mind of Christ who made Himself nothing on behalf of the world and suffered for the joy set before Him.
@Wynona I do indeed have a problem with the whole idea of self-love. The quote from 2 Timothy is apt indeed. The Lord Jesus Himself, 'was odedient unto death, even the death of the Cross' (Philippians 2.8).

'Even Christ pleased not Himself' (Romans 15.3).

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I propose the answer to self loathing is not self love but rather self-forgetfulness.

Another post proving that God is alive in, a pleasure to read…

May I put forth the thought that the reason ‘forgetfulness’ is on point, is, because dead man have no memory…

Be blessed in being dead in Christ, Not me

Reactions: Wynona

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

I was taught as a new Christian that if you didn't 'love' yourself - i.e. respect yourself - then you wouldn't be able to love others as you're supposed to do. If you think so very little of yourself it's harder to care about other people. I have found from my own experience over the years that this is true. And when I have found myself beating myself up and disliking myself I need to confess it as a sin and seek God's forgiveness. And it always lifts me back to where I should be,
We ought to hate our SIN NATURE . that is what it means . SIN nature .
I hate the evils in my flesh . And i , for one , am not gonna pat myself on the back about this stuff .
Its good we get convicted and hate our sin nature . I have found this to be the love that passes all , TO LOVE THE LORD WITH ALL THE HEART
then we would love our self and train ourselves in the ways of GOD . There is an evil love of self which
is full of pride and lust . There is a love that comes FROM GOD and if we have IT we LOVE TRUTH , HIM
above all and from that we learn to love ourselves by hating every false way contrary to GOD . Which is actually FOR VERY GOOD FOR US
and keeps us walking as we ought too .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Wynona I do indeed have a problem with the whole idea of self-love. The quote from 2 Timothy is apt indeed. The Lord Jesus Himself, 'was odedient unto death, even the death of the Cross' (Philippians 2.8).

'Even Christ pleased not Himself' (Romans 15.3).
There's a difference between having a big ego and having self respect.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Very thought-provoking post, Pearl. I think the principle to remember here is this: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Paul said, "In me dwells no good thing... but the life that I now live, I live by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ," and "I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me." Mankind are essentially vessels of one Spirit or another, whether they realize it or not. All eventually come to the place where they either reflect the Light or the Darkness. I have always been a spiritual man, and I know what it means to manifest both the Darkness and the Light. I could never love that side of me that turns to Darkness, but I can love that part of me that manifests Christ, for I love Him, whether He is within or without.

Not sure that's the best way to put it, but I think you know what I mean.

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The race of man, after its miserable fall from God, the Creator and the Giver of heavenly gifts, "through the envy of the devil," separated into two diverse and opposite parts, of which the one steadfastly contends for truth and virtue, the other of those things which are contrary to virtue and to truth. The one is the kingdom of God on earth, namely, the true Church of Jesus Christ; and those who desire from their heart to be united with it, so as to gain salvation, must of necessity serve God and His only-begotten Son with their whole mind and with an entire will. The other is the kingdom of Satan, in whose possession and control are all whosoever follow the fatal example of their leader and of our first parents, those who refuse to obey the divine and eternal law, and who have many aims of their own in contempt of God, and many aims also against God.

2. This twofold kingdom St. Augustine keenly discerned and described after the manner of two cities, contrary in their laws because striving for contrary objects; and with a subtle brevity he expressed the efficient cause of each in these words: "Two loves formed two cities: the love of self, reaching even to contempt of God, an earthly city; and the love of God, reaching to contempt of self, a heavenly one."(1) At every period of time each has been in conflict with the other, with a variety and multiplicity of weapons and of warfare, although not always with equal ardour and assault. At this period, however, the partisans of evil seems to be combining together, and to be struggling with united vehemence, led on or assisted by that strongly organized and widespread association called the Freemasons. No longer making any secret of their purposes, they are now boldly rising up against God Himself. They are planning the destruction of holy Church publicly and openly, and this with the set purpose of utterly despoiling the nations of Christendom, if it were possible, of the blessings obtained for us through Jesus Christ our Saviour. Lamenting these evils, We are constrained by the charity which urges Our heart to cry out often to God: "For lo, Thy enemies have made a noise; and they that hate Thee have lifted up the head. They have taken a malicious counsel against Thy people, and they have consulted against Thy saints. They have said, 'come, and let us destroy them, so that they be not a nation.'(2)