Why was/is Prison Ministry so Important to Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider Matthew 25: 35, 36—
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (NIV)

The first five concern basic human needs (see, e.g., the Parable of the Good Samaritan), but last is special.

Why was it so important for Jesus to single it out?

One answer could be that Jesus focused on those that are spiritually lost, and prisoners are certainly among the most lost.

Another possibly could lie in Jesus’ knowledge of His Hebrew tribal roots.

Consider a devout Hebrew village in Canaan after the conquest. The elders would be responsible for overseeing adherence to Mosaic law and for disciplining transgressors. Thus, if someone were to deviate from acceptable behavior, it would be up to the elders to speak to that person and persuade him to turn back. They might, for example, remind the person of God’s promises to them and the blessings for the righteous.

Now let us fast-forward to the time of Jesus: Roman law, soldiers, courts, and prisons. At that time, the disciples' visit might have included food, a blanket, medicine. Their focus, however, would have been to encourage the incarcerated, to remind each of God’s love, and to call each to become a model prisoner (as was the patriarch Joseph). In other words, Jesus could be telling His disciples to take on the roll of village elders.

Thoughts? Other possibilitie?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the reasons you listed. I would also mention that I doubt the prisons at the time were as comfortable as a Club Fed here in the States or in Europe. I've read stories about prisons in Mexico and Africa and Asia; you wouldn't want to go there. I can't imagine a 1st-century Roman prison would be any better than a 3rd-world hell-hole.

But the main point I wanted to talk about was loneliness. Hopelessness. A visit to assure the prisoner that they have not been forgotten. Nor has God hasn't forgotten about them. That's also a basic human need. Without that, we can spiral quickly down into despair.

My brother-in-law introduced me to a man who did prison ministry. Big man, tough, had done hard time on the inside himself and could see through any con's B.S. Had a heart of gold too. Jesus did something to that man's life that changed him. God calls some special people to that ministry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the reasons you listed. I would also mention that I doubt the prisons at the time were as comfortable as a Club Fed here in the States or in Europe. I've read stories about prisons in Mexico and Africa and Asia; you wouldn't want to go there. I can't imagine a 1st-century Roman prison would be any better than a 3rd-world hell-hole.

But the main point I wanted to talk about was loneliness. Hopelessness. A visit to assure the prisoner that they have not been forgotten. Nor has God hasn't forgotten about them. That's also a basic human need. Without that, we can spiral quickly down into despair.

My brother-in-law introduced me to a man who did prison ministry. Big man, tough, had done hard time on the inside himself and could see through any con's B.S. Had a heart of gold too. Jesus did something to that man's life that changed him. God calls some special people to that ministry.
Thank you kindly for taking time to read and comment on my post.
A friend at church, who is a member of Kairos, would love to start a conversation with, “after I got out of prison last week. . . .” Surely, prison ministry has saved countless lives. Might it be unique to Christinianity?

Related heroes: Father Damian, who spent the last 16 years of his life in a Hawaiian leper colony, and Mother Teresa, who started a hospice for the poorest of the poor in India. For each of them the goal was saving truly lost souls one at a time.
Peace and blessings.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thoughts? Other possibilitie
We few prison as a form of punishment, in those days prisoners were held awaiting trial and then awaiting punishment.
This would be to walk to a place of exceution and to die.
Only political prisoners would be held for a long time and then at there expense.

Jesus concern for prisoners was a concern for those not long for this world.

Reactions: Lambano