Wives, SUBMIT yourselves to your own husbands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ephesians 5:

22 Wives, [submit] yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.
Was this a command from Paul?

Interestingly, in the Greek manuscript, the verb "submit" is not even there. Let's check the context in the previous verse:

21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
As brothers and sisters, a Christian brother should submit to a Christian sister and vice versa.

Submit
Ὑποτασσόμενοι (Hypotassomenoi)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 5293: From hupo and tasso; to subordinate; reflexively, to obey.

The verb here is a participle, not exactly a command.

First, Paul pointed out that believers should submit to one another for Christ's sake. With this context in mind, the following verse:

22 Wives, [submit] yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.
Concerning the husband-wife relationship, a wife is to submit to her husband. For the Lord's sake, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, all alike should submit to one another.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits [G5293] to Christ, so also wives should [submit] to their husbands in everything.
Again, the second "submit" is not in the original Greek but is implied.

Elsewhere, Colossians 3:

18 Wives, submit [G5293] yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.
submit
ὑποτάσσεσθε (hypotassesthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Passive - 2nd Person Plural

Here the verb "submit" is an imperative command.

Now, do husbands need to submit to their wives?

Yes, as we have already seen earlier in Ephesians 5:21. In the broader context, we are to submit to one another. In the marriage context, wives are to submit to their husbands. In any case, a husband should consult his wife before making any decision. In the end, it is up to the husband to decide.

Reactions: Nancy

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Jesus submitted to the Father then submission is a godly character trait. It’s something good. It’s not something that is lorded over others it’s done from love. Submission is easy when one is following Christ.

hope this helps !!!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 5:

Interestingly, in the Greek manuscript, the verb "submit" is not even there. Let's check the context in the previous verse:

As brothers and sisters, a Christian brother should submit to a Christian sister and vice versa.

Submit
Ὑποτασσόμενοι (Hypotassomenoi)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 5293: From hupo and tasso; to subordinate; reflexively, to obey.

The verb here is a participle, not exactly a command.

First, Paul pointed out that believers should submit to one another for Christ's sake. With this context in mind, the following verse:

Concerning the husband-wife relationship, a wife is to submit to her husband. For the Lord's sake, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, all alike should submit to one another.

Again, the second "submit" is not in the original Greek but is implied.

Elsewhere, Colossians 3:

submit
ὑποτάσσεσθε (hypotassesthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Passive - 2nd Person Plural

Here the verb "submit" is an imperative command.

Now, do husbands need to submit to their wives?

Yes, as we have already seen earlier in Ephesians 5:21. In the broader context, we are to submit to one another. In the marriage context, wives are to submit to their husbands. In any case, a husband should consult his wife before making any decision. In the end, it is up to the husband to decide.
Did Paul have the authority to issue commands?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Ephesians 5:

I doubt that you actually read or speak, Koine Greek, fluently. @TonyChanYT

So, to pretend to be a person who is qualified to teach the Greek, = to correct the bible, is what real Christians refer to as "FAKE".

If you are fluent in Koine Greek, then, you'll have to state that fact, and prove it.

Ready?

Now,

1.) Here is how to understand your verse, and even tho im trained in manuscript evidence, i dont subscribe to the lowly position of a bible corrector.
I'll let you assume that position for yourself @TonyChanYT .

Here is how to understand it..

God is a God of ORDER.
"Divine ORDER".
Have you ever noticed that all the Angels are Males?
Have you noticed that God sent a Son and not a daughter to this earth to die for the sin of the world?
Did you notice that Adam was made in the image of God, and Eve was made out of Adam's rib?

So, God has designed the Male to be the head...
Notice that Jesus is the 2nd Adam, and not the 2nd Eve?

Now....Here is how that works. or fails..in the Marriage relationship.

2.) Paul teaches that the Wife is supposed to RESPECT her Husband, and the Husband is supposed to Love her as Christ loved the Church, the Bride.
That is the "submission".
The MAN, Christ JESUS.... is the HEAD of the Bride, and that is the position of the man in the marriage relationship.

Now let me show you what happens if the man does not assume that headship role in a marriage.
The woman will lose respect for Him, and once that is lost, then just go to the divorce court, as "game over", unless you both want to continue to live in hell on earth, as its 95% unlikely that this weak man is going to grow any manhood....

And here is the flip side of that situation........If you have a woman who is trying to control the man, and control the marriage, and be the BOSS and run everything...... having put on that headship role,... then the man will ruin the marriage, every time, as He is not designed to play this submissive role.

"its not good for the man to be alone"....."the woman is MADE for the man".

Read Genesis carefully, as its never changed.

Check that out in Genesis, as that is "help-mate" or "2nd Half" or "by His side", but never "out in front", "dominating".

3.) Listen,

We live in a spiritually maladjusted world that rejects Gods order, rejects God's "sexuality plan", and rejects God's Truth, who is Jesus Himself. John 14:6

That is why there is chaos in this evil world that will continue until Jesus comes back to set the ORDER back in place, as the HEAD and King of it all.
Its soon, so, be READY.

And for those who think...."well does this mean that the wife is a slave, and is to be treated like dirt and worse'"".

No, that is not what God has designed for the Man/Woman, regarding the order of marriage, and that man is out of order, and that marriage is doomed to end.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Right.

Can you quote my words where I made this pretension?

Do you mean you want me to post your Cut and Paste Greek, that you pasted, to try to correct the bible?

God does not call bible correctors.
Do you understand, then who does?

Are you a certified Koine Greek Scholar, seminary trained, and beyond?
Can you speak, read, and write Koine Greek, or any Greek, fluently?

If NOT, then do not pretend that because you have some Translator's greek at your disposal, you can now come to a Christian forum and present your own THEOLOGICAL point of view by using various translations of the Greek, that you can't read, as your proof text.

Never pretend you are an authority over the word of God, because you can cut and paste "greek text".

Just think on that for a little while before you respond.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you mean you want me to post your Cut and Paste Greek, that you pasted, to try to correct the bible?
Quote my words of pretension to prove your accusation that I pretended to teach Greek to you as my student. Can you do that?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Quote my words of pretension to prove your accusation that I pretended to teach Greek to you as my student. Can you do that?

You have no legs to stand on there... so you might want to try another footing...

Here is what im going to do for you.
Im going to let the Reader's decide if they can understand what im showing you in the lasts few posts...., as apparently, you're not able, at this time to get a grasp on it.
But, i feel that you will be able to soon enough, @TonyChanYT

And remember, there is nothing more carnal then a bible corrector, who can't even read the Greek they are misusing to try to pretend they are a "teacher" and an authority OVER and above the word of God.

Follow me?
I think you do.
See you there.