Working Out Your Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now these verses are all talking about the growth of entire congregations, and about Christ being fully formed in them as a whole rather than individually. But the same principle applies to us on an individual level as well.

Thank you, yes I would agree to a certain point. It is my understanding that our growth is in soul. The seed of God is Christ, and we receive the complete Christ at the new birth. So I see the spirit as needing saved and the complete Christ is what saves an individual in spirit.

Adam was created a living soul in the imagine and likeness of God. I don't see the human being lose their individuality when Adam failed. I believe Adam was designed if you will, to contain Christ. So I see our growth as only in soul with spirit new (the two have become one by a birth in spirit) and complete by the complete Christ in us, Colossians 2:10.

And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: - Colossians 2:10

Reactions: Helen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WE CANNOT WORK OUT OUR OWN SALVATION for salvation is of God! It is He which worketh in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure.

The term "work out" means "make sure" of your salvation.

To God Be The Glory

argue semantics with Apostle Paul then:

Php_2:12  Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Reactions: soul man

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see the human being lose their individuality when Adam failed. I believe Adam was designed if you will, to contain Christ.

Yes, and this is a rather deep concept to meditate on. I don't see us as losing our individuality either, in fact I know we don't. But what happens is we fulfill our "individuality" in Him, if you will; for lack of better words, we "fill out" into Christ in what He created us to be as individuals, with Himself having many facets, being the All in All. It's almost like He is the Rainbow, and we are each created as varying colors on the spectrum. That's a weak analogy, but it gets the point across. And the more we allow it to be no longer we who live but Christ who lives in us, the "brighter" those colors we were created to reflect become.

There are other ways to explain this; more direct ways. But in essence yes, we are each to contain Christ in His fulness, corporately especially, but also as the individuals we were created to be.

God bless. Good thought-provoking response.

Reactions: Helen and friend of

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Php_2:12  Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Semantics??? Consider the following verse:

"Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, ye shall never fall. 2Peter 1:10.

Who is correct? Both are! Paul says "to work out" and Peter says "to make sure." Nothing semantics about scriptures once we find the key that unlocks its meaning. In this case or any other, we put the two verses together and get a bigger picture.

To God Be The Glory

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He created us to be as individuals, with Himself having many facets,

Yes and it is a great subject because all Christianity hangs on it, Christ expression. For argument sake how would you describe the many facet's of Christ in us? I always wondered what he was doing in the believer. Is he silent or is it much deeper as far as the life of Christ in us coming out of us. How would that work?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Semantics??? Consider the following verse:

"Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, ye shall never fall. 2Peter 1:10.

Who is correct? Both are! Paul says "to work out" and Peter says "to make sure." Nothing semantics about scriptures once we find the key that unlocks its meaning. In this case or any other, we put the two verses together and get a bigger picture.

Feel free to compare verses, but be sure that you are not twisting the verses to try to prove you keep yourself saved by self effort.
If you do that, you are "fallen from Grace" and are become a Cross denying Legalist.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feel free to compare verses, but be sure that you are not twisting the verses to try to prove you keep yourself saved by self effort.
If you do that, you are "fallen from Grace" and are become a Cross denying Legalist.
What part of Paul/s or Peter's verse did you think I twisted? What I did was combine both verses to get a bigger picture and it's called "comparing scripture with scripture."

I wonder how would you have interpret John 1:29? Will you have thought that Jesus was a animal? Lol!

To God Be The Glory

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
What part of Paul/s or Peter's verse did you think I twisted? What I did was combine both verses to get a bigger picture and it's called "comparing scripture with scripture."

I wonder how would you have interpret John 1:29? Will you have thought that Jesus was a animal? Lol!

To God Be The Glory

It wasn't an accusation i was directing toward you.
I was only being remindful that there is a very thin spiritual line between Legalism and Grace, and its very easy to cross that line and end up thinking you are still trusting in Christ to get you to heaven, yet, a person has actually left the "Grace thru Faith, without works" spiritual position of real faith in Christ to get them to heaven.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and it is a great subject because all Christianity hangs on it, Christ expression. For argument sake how would you describe the many facet's of Christ in us?

I would describe it like this: Our souls are made up, as they say, primarily of our will, our mind and our emotions. Some souls are created far more emotional than others, some far more mental, some far more willful. Christ created us all in these various ways in keeping with His will, and manifests Himself through us according to how He created us. Generalizations can fall short, but essentially, those with great mental capacity become our teachers; those with great emotional capacity become our healers, emotionally and spiritually; those with strong willful capacity become our leaders. He doesn't change what we were created to be; when we give ourselves increasingly to His service and His Spirit, He manifests HIS capacities in all these things as an amplification of what we are in the natural, and to the extent that we abide in Him that amplification increases, until it is no longer we who live but Christ who lives in us, and acts through us.
I always wondered what he was doing in the believer. Is he silent or is it much deeper as far as the life of Christ in us coming out of us. How would that work?

It was never meant to be silent. The Lord's intention was that we allow Him to act, speak, think and feel through us entirely, to His glory. Thus He told His disciples, “Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” (Luke 12:11-12)

As a result, I would say it is far, far deeper, though modern Christianity has largely not caught up to this yet. But just as He healed the sick and raised the dead 2,000 years ago, so He desires to now if He can find vessels who would completely submit to His will and crucify their flesh to walk completely by the Spirit. Just as He read the mind of the woman at the well and knew her life; just as he saw Nathaniel sitting under a tree before he ever came to Him; just as He could multiply fishes and loaves into enough to feed multitudes, so does He still desire that we abide in Him so perfectly that He can do the same things today through us.

The problem is that not many are prepared to face the temptations that would come with operating in Him so fully, so they would end up being tempted and seduced by the enemy. And to this end, not many are willing to fast the flesh down completely either.

I am about to go on another 40 day fast, and if I could I would ask that you pray for me in this regard.

Yours, and I appreciate the conversation.
Hidden In Him

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would describe it like this: Our souls are made up, as they say, primarily of our will, our mind and our emotions. Some souls are created far more emotional than others, some far more mental, some far more willful. Christ created us all in these various ways in keeping with His will, and manifests Himself through us according to how He created us. Generalizations can fall short, but essentially, those with great mental capacity become our teachers; those with great emotional capacity become our healers, emotionally and spiritually; those with strong willful capacity become our leaders. He doesn't change what we were created to be; when we give ourselves increasingly to His service and His Spirit, He manifests HIS capacities in all these things as an amplification of what we are in the natural, and to the extent that we abide in Him that amplification increases, until it is no longer we who live but Christ who lives in us, and acts through us.

It was never meant to be silent. The Lord's intention was that we allow Him to act, speak, think and feel through us entirely, to His glory. Thus He told His disciples, “Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” (Luke 12:11-12)

As a result, I would say it is far, far deeper, though modern Christianity has largely not caught up to this yet. But just as He healed the sick and raised the dead 2,000 years ago, so He desires to now if He can find vessels who would completely submit to His will and crucify their flesh to walk completely by the Spirit. Just as He read the mind of the woman at the well and knew her life; just as he saw Nathaniel sitting under a tree before he ever came to Him; just as He could multiply fishes and loaves into enough to feed multitudes, so does He still desire that we abide in Him so perfectly that He can do the same things today through us.

The problem is that not many are prepared to face the temptations that would come with operating in Him so fully, so they would end up being tempted and seduced by the enemy. And to this end, not many are willing to fast the flesh down completely either.

I am about to go on another 40 day fast, and if I could I would ask that you pray for me in this regard.

Yours, and I appreciate the conversation.
Hidden In Him

Great insight, thanks

Reactions: Hidden In Him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I think there the sense of 'salvation' is 'deliverance' in the general, fuller sense.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you, yes I would agree to a certain point. It is my understanding that our growth is in soul. The seed of God is Christ, and we receive the complete Christ at the new birth. So I see the spirit as needing saved and the complete Christ is what saves an individual in spirit.

Adam was created a living soul in the imagine and likeness of God. I don't see the human being lose their individuality when Adam failed. I believe Adam was designed if you will, to contain Christ. So I see our growth as only in soul with spirit new (the two have become one by a birth in spirit) and complete by the complete Christ in us, Colossians 2:10.

And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: - Colossians 2:10
@soul man There is such a lot in Colossians: a short Epistle with deep meaning and application in the face of syncretism.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In Philippians 2:12, we notice that Paul said to "work out" your own salvation and not "work for" your salvation. Salvation by works is not being taught here. The idea of "working out" your salvation is to progress to completion in spiritual growth and maturity in the process of ongoing sanctification.
Yes, and the sense of 'salvation' here is deliverance, I think.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man There is such a lot in Colossians: a short Epistle with deep meaning and application in the face of syncretism.

Hello ol' buddy. Absultely one of the great books. I believe for a few reasons but Paul was really coming into the depth of what God had done in Christ by the cross.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, and this is a rather deep concept to meditate on. I don't see us as losing our individuality either, in fact I know we don't. But what happens is we fulfill our "individuality" in Him, if you will; for lack of better words, we "fill out" into Christ in what He created us to be as individuals, with Himself having many facets, being the All in All. It's almost like He is the Rainbow, and we are each created as varying colors on the spectrum. That's a weak analogy, but it gets the point across. And the more we allow it to be no longer we who live but Christ who lives in us, the "brighter" those colors we were created to reflect become.

There are other ways to explain this; more direct ways. But in essence yes, we are each to contain Christ in His fulness, corporately especially, but also as the individuals we were created to be.

God bless. Good thought-provoking response.
@Hidden In Him Both Divine sovereignty and human responsibility are strongly attested in Scripture.

Reactions: Hidden In Him