Worshipping God in Song

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Years ago I listened to a pastor speak about praise and worship services in church.....he said how most songs sang about Him instead of to Him and most of the time there was no anointing behind it.....that really resonated with me at the time so afterwards during praise and worship services I would change the words slightly...example....Bless the Lord, Oh my Soul, Bless His Holy Name....
Changed to Bless you Lord, Oh my Soul, Bless your Holy Name...
It made so much difference in my worship and how it became personal and intimate as I was singing to Him, expressing my love in song.....
And His presence would enter in and the anointing would fall and before long the whole congregation would be so engaged in worshipping Him that the entire church service was all praise and worship....sermon had to wait til next service.

I remember how healings and deliverance would take place without anyone praying....it was the presence and anointing of the Holy Spirit that healed and delivered those in need.
Oh how I miss those services.....I would look so forward to church because in our praise and worship He would show up....what a beautiful time it was back then.

Bring it on!! Actually most people misunderstand what worship is. For most, it is getting all worked up in a high pulse meeting aided by various instruments.

It is not that at all. Worship by definition is admitting that you have been defeated and you are acknowledging such by kneeling at the feet of your conquerer. In the old days when your army was defeated the leader who was defeated was brought before his conquerer and he knelt before him to acknowledge that he has won and I am submitted to you.

Therefore true worship is surrendering and admitting that Jesus is your conquerer and kneeling in his presence.

You can sing as long and loud as you want to but if you are not surrendered, you are not worshipping. You are singing.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bring it on!! Actually most people misunderstand what worship is. For most, it is getting all worked up in a high pulse meeting aided by various instruments.

It is not that at all. Worship by definition is admitting that you have been defeated and you are acknowledging such by kneeling at the feet of your conquerer. In the old days when your army was defeated the leader who was defeated was brought before his conquerer and he knelt before him to acknowledge that he has won and I am submitted to you.

Therefore true worship is surrendering and admitting that Jesus is your conquerer and kneeling in his presence.

You can sing as long and loud as you want to but if you are not surrendered, you are not worshipping. You are singing.
Amen Brother! I am so thankful that I was in that service that night and heard that message...back in 1984...it changed my life!

Reactions: marksman

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol @Josho ...I don't think there is anything one should do about not having a grand sounding voice, lol...just sing to God with all you have! It sure dies not stop the woman who sits behind me from belting out all kinds of off key singing (throws me right off :D ) It's become kind of endearing actually. :)

My Church does auditions for the music ministry...don't think they would get hired if they cannot hold key.

What ever happened to How Great Thou Art?! Was my mothers favorite hymn of all and just to watch her sing it with all she had, was beautiful!

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Lol Josho...I don't think there is anything one should do about not having a grand sounding voice, lol...just sing to God with all you have! It sure dies not stop the woman who sits behind me from belting out all kinds of off key singing (throws me right off :D ) It's become kind of endearing actually. :)

My Church does auditions for the music ministry...don't think they would get hired if they cannot hold key.

What ever happened to How Great Thou Art?! Was my mothers favorite hymn of all and just to watch her sing it with all she had, was beautiful!
@Nancy It's making a joyful noise... :)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Years ago I listened to a pastor speak about praise and worship services in church.....he said how most songs sang about Him instead of to Him and most of the time there was no anointing behind it.....that really resonated with me at the time so afterwards during praise and worship services I would change the words slightly...example....Bless the Lord, Oh my Soul, Bless His Holy Name....
It made so much difference in my worship and how it became personal and intimate as I was singing to Him, expressing my love in song.....
And His presence would enter in and the anointing would fall and before long the whole congregation would be so engaged in worshipping Him that the entire church service was all praise and worship....sermon had to wait til next service.

I remember how healings and deliverance would take place without anyone praying....it was the presence and anointing of the Holy Spirit that healed and delivered those in need.
Oh how I miss those services.....I would look so forward to church because in our praise and worship He would show up....what a beautiful time it was back then.
You've discovered the secret of true worship. Another thing is that sometimes, people come face to face with the Lord's presence and stop, without entering into the Most Holy Place. I think this has to do with a false understanding, that we are to fear, or be afraid of God. 500 years ago, this word meant reverence, and was an appropriate word. But in an attempt to not change God's word, which is a fine motive, what they ended up doing was precisely what they tried to avoid. - There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. - 1 John 4:8 NIV

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've discovered the secret of true worship. Another thing is that sometimes, people come face to face with the Lord's presence and stop, without entering into the Most Holy Place. I think this has to do with a false understanding, that we are to fear, or be afraid of God. 500 years ago, this word meant reverence, and was an appropriate word. But in an attempt to not change God's word, which is a fine motive, what they ended up doing was precisely what they tried to avoid. - There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. - 1 John 4:8 NIV
Yes, Amen! I love that scripture! And I still haven't made it all the way to the Holy of Holies....going to make it my goal now!
Thanks for those words of wisdom.

Reactions: Nancy and Truman

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Ron Coates I do love John 4 where the Lord Jesus speaks of 'worship...in spirit and in truth'. :)

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Help me worship You in spirit and in truth, I open up my heart to say I love You.
As I bend my knee to You a-lone, come and fill me up and make me Your own.

I will bless Your name and give You praise, I will follow You for all of my days.
I will give to You the glory due Your name, for since I met You Lord, I've never been the same.

Calm my heart to know Your love for me, cause my eyes to see the truth that sets us free.
And as I understand, I'll respond to You, I'll lift up my voice to say that I love You, Jesus, I love You. - In spirit and in truth, By Ron Coates
- feel free to make up your own melody. Ron

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Help me worship You in spirit and in truth, I open up my heart to say I love You.
As I bend my knee to You a-lone, come and fill me up and make me Your own.

I will bless Your name and give You praise, I will follow You for all of my days.
I will give to You the glory due Your name, for since I met You Lord, I've never been the same.

Calm my heart to know Your love for me, cause my eyes to see the truth that sets us free.
And as I understand, I'll respond to You, I'll lift up my voice to say that I love You, Jesus, I love You. - In spirit and in truth, By Ron Coates
- feel free to make up your own melody. Ron
Beautifully written!

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I use the same trick with scripture, I change you to me, and me to You so I can acknowledge it back to the Lord. For instance: God says to me, "I love you, Ron." I respond by saying, "You love me, Lord."

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A favorite band of mine is Second Chapter Of Acts, with Nightlight being my favorite song. A favorite album of mine is Return To Paradise by Randy Stonehill. A favorite worship leader is Kevin Prosch. And I like The Jay Sekulow Band, with Where I Stand a favorite of mine. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that one of President Trump's lawyers was a musician with his own band. He plays drums and guitar. Jay plays alongside another drummer. People from Kansas, D.C. Talk and Petra are in the band. A very talented bunch of guys. Jay is a Messianic Jew. Shalom.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi, Josho. I responded to you but then I lost it. It took a bit of time, but I'll do it in a bit. Ron

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello

If we are not perfect, why should we hold back our worship for God. My father was a lay preacher for around 60 years, and he would sing off key loudly to encourage the small congregations in the churches he was scheduled to preach in, to sing unto the lord. But he always sung offkey.

I am sure that God hears the heart singing in perfect pitch, tone and enthusiasm.

Shalom
Hi. Shortly after I started singing, I started leading worship. I used to tell myself, "If I'm not a very good singer and I'm leading worship, then this should give others permission to sing also." Nobody ever said much about my singing, one way or another. I can live with that. Lol Besides being named, "Rockin' Ronnie," the only thing I recall people saying to me was about how some or all of the songs were exactly what they needed to hear at that time. Which is what I asked God for, songs that He knew people would need to hear the next Sunday. Or whenever. He tells us to worship Him, "in spirit and in truth not in concert pitch." Shalom.