Would you claim, that Jesus was violent...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City
I was chatting with a retired Pastor about Jesus never committing violence. He claimed, Jesus was not against violence. He claimed Jesus knocked over the money tables in violence. I disputed, that Jesus was right to get angry, because the people were turning his Father's house into a den of thieves. A Godly anger. But he did not hit no one. Well this Pastor said, he authorized his disciples to sell their cloaks and buy swords. I said, yes, but this was to fulfill a prophesy in Isaiah 53. That the disciples had 2 swords already and Jesus said, Enough...

I think, many Americans, feel justified by owning guns, due to Jesus authorizing his disciples to buy swords. But Jesus was just fulfilling a prophesy. If Jesus had planned on a rebellion, well Jesus would not have said, 2 swords is enough. He would not have rebuked Peter, for protecting Him. This was clear, that Jesus had a different mindset for those 2 swords. So a lot of gun activitist use this to justify buying guns to protect oneself and others. But Jesus spoke on peace and so I think, these gun activist are using Jesus statement in a wrong way.

It is our Constitutional right to bear arms. But what does Jesus really think of this issue? We are not an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth world, anymore. We are to love our enemies and pray for them that persecute us. Go the extra mile. If you live by the sword you will die by the sword. Sounds like if you live by a weapon you will die by a weapon.

What are you thoughts...Thank you

Jesus never physically attacked anyone. What He did was simply turned over the table and use a whip to drive out the animals. Those who believe in using violence (like in taking up arms to fight)are simply looking for a reason in order to justify their belief.

Of course, if they or someone is being attacked, the person has the right to defend themselves or the person who is being attacked.