Would you consider the following to be a success?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 people are taken hostage by a bank robber. The police chief says his SWAT team will save them all. SWAT strikes but 2 of the hostages are shot dead by the robber.

Would you say that the chief fulfilled his claim that none would be lost?

So why do you believe that Jesus FAILS to fulfill his claim that the Gates of Hell will not prevail?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
10 people are taken hostage by a bank robber. The police chief says his SWAT team will save them all. SWAT strikes but 2 of the hostages are shot dead by the robber.

Would you say that the chief fulfilled his claim that none would be lost?

So why do you believe that Jesus FAILS to fulfill his claim that the Gates of Hell will not prevail?
1692777509377.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: marks

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the referenced passage (Matthew 16:18), what is the referent for αὐτῆς ("autas", feminine possessive pronoun, "hers") against which or whom the Gates of Hades will not prevail?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the referenced passage (Matthew 16:18), what is the referent for αὐτῆς ("autas", feminine possessive pronoun, "hers") against which or whom the Gates of Hades will not prevail?

I have no clue as to what you just asked.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no clue as to what you just asked.
I noticed.

I'm sympathetic to your cause, though for various reasons I consider it a low-probability understanding of what the Biblical writers are trying to tell us. I do want to try to help you tighten up your logical arguments. Okay?

In mentioning prevailing against the Gates of Hell, you alluded to Matthew 16:18, "And I also say to you that you are Peter (Petros), and upon this rock (Petra) I will build My ἐκκλησία; and the gates of Hades will not overpower hers.“

Since you asked whether Jesus accomplished what He said he would accomplish in Matthew 16:18, I'm asking you what you think Jesus said He would accomplish.

Reactions: marks

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you asked whether Jesus accomplished what He said he would accomplish in Matthew 16:18, I'm asking you what you think Jesus said He would accomplish.

That the Gates of Hell will not prevent his church (of which he is in charge) from reaching and saving all people.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That the Gates of Hell will not prevent his church (of which he is in charge) from reaching and saving all people.

On this foundational rock/stone, that Jesus is the Son of God, Jesus said that he will build His church/assembly.

Jesus is the savour for all of the peoples of the earth, but this can only be true if people actually believe that Jesus is the Son of God and chose him to be their savour before their physical death when they draw their last breath.

It is our choice to be save. It is the hallmark of your theory that if a person choses to be save after being dispatched to the Lake of fire, that their choice will be accepted after the bell has tolled. However, the choice must be made before they draw their last breathe before they physically die.

Shalom

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said he will build his church and the Gates of Hell will not prevail.

Now, what is the PURPOSE of his church?
You still are not correctly representing what He said.

Matthew 16:17-20 KJV
17) And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18) And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19) And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
20) Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

To answer your question, the purpose of the church is to have communion with God by reconciliation to Him through Jesus Christ. Although that's a pretty wide open question.

How do you answer that question?

Much love!