YHWH, Elohim, and Theos

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the difference?

YHVH is the Name of the Creator.

Elohim is a term that basically means "entities that are not physical." If the term is used in conjunction with a singular verb, it refers to YHVH. If it is coupled with a plural verb, it refers to any number of beings that exist in the supernatural. Elohim's plural nature is argued. The best explanation I have gotten is the "sum of all" aspect of YHVH being the source of all things. He, in his own right, is all things.

Theos is a Greek word used to attempt and convey the same meaning of elohim.

Reactions: Wrangler

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the difference?

Great question Byrd.
YHWH God's name in Hebrew. It is translated Jehovah in English
Elohim is a Hebrew word that is translated God. El is God, but when combined with ohim it is plural, denoting Majesty. That title always applies to Jehovah, whereas El can apply to other gods.
Theos is Greek, and is rendered God/god in English

Reactions: bbyrd009

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I (Yah) said you (you) are Elohim
tho

Hey... :)

Yah is singular as well as EL....both signifying either Father or Son. EL GIBOR (mighty God) is an example of a reference to Jesus in Isaiah 9:6.

YHVH (Lord or Yahweh) is singular ALSO signifying either Father or Son...often with the addition of "OF HOSTS" or else "MOST HIGH" to signify the Father. So we have Lord of Hosts...or Lord Most High..or just Most High...to signify the Father. We often get a confusing double reference with YHVH being used to mean either Father or Son...even in the same sentence.

Elohim is the Godhead (plural)...both Father and Son.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Great question Byrd.
YHWH God's name in Hebrew. It is translated Jehovah in English
Elohim is a Hebrew word that is translated God. El is God, but when combined with ohim it is plural, denoting Majesty. That title always applies to Jehovah, whereas El can apply to other gods.
Theos is Greek, and is rendered God/god in English
Hey... :)

Yah is singular as well as EL....both signifying either Father or Son. EL GIBOR (mighty God) is an example of a reference to Jesus in Isaiah 9:6.

YHVH (Lord or Yahweh) is singular ALSO signifying either Father or Son...often with the addition of "OF HOSTS" or else "MOST HIGH" to signify the Father. So we have Lord of Hosts...or Lord Most High..or just Most High...to signify the Father. We often get a confusing double reference with YHVH being used to mean either Father or Son...even in the same sentence.

Elohim is the Godhead (plural)...both Father and Son.
my get is that YHWH is a transliteration, and in english would be more like AEOU or something

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my get is that YHWH is a transliteration, and in english would be more like AEOU or something

YHWH is easy to research Byrd, it is God's literal name as written in the original writings recorded for us first in Genesis 2:4 and occurs more than any other name in Scripture throughout the Bible. Every single translator of English versions who translated the Divine Name as a name translated it Jehovah sir.

Your rendering is very unlikely as those are all vowels, and the Hebrew language had none.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
YHWH is easy to research Byrd, it is God's literal name as written in the original writings recorded for us first in Genesis 2:4 and occurs more than any other name in Scripture throughout the Bible. Every single translator of English versions who translated the Divine Name as a name translated it Jehovah sir.

Your rendering is very unlikely as those are all vowels, and the Hebrew language had none.
well…more steps on that ladder, i think :)

you might search “Hebrews invented vowels”

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well…more steps on that ladder, i think :)

you might search “Hebrews invented vowels”

A guy could miss out on studying the less important things Byrd. Most of us have limited time, I know vowels exist, that is good enough for me.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
A guy could miss out on studying the less important things Byrd. Most of us have limited time, I know vowels exist, that is good enough for me.
oh, that is just a portal, really
if you arent concerned that what you were taught is 180 degrees wrong, then that just isnt for you prolly

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What is the difference?

YHWH is the Tetragrammaton, the proper / personal name of the one God.

Elohim (Hebrew) is a generic title; it is used in OT scripture in regard to the one God, human beings, angels and idols.

Theos (Greek) is also a generic title; it is used in the NT (and in the Greek translation of the OT, the Septuagint) in regard to the one God, human beings, angels and idols.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009...I've noticed with the definition of theós thus far, no one has attempted to show it is not only a title, as a noun, it's also considered as an an adjective as well. And I think I know why.

And as an adjective is means divine of a deity. And it can only be attached the the only true God, YHW(Vah)H or as later modified, to a form that contains its vowel, Yehovah (as used by the JW predominantly)'

θεός (theós)
  1. divine (used only in comparative: θεώτερος (theṓteros))
Noun[edit]
θεός (theós) m or f (genitive θεοῦ); second declension (Epic, Attic, Ionic, Doric, Koine)
  1. a deity, a god, God
  2. title of a ruler
  3. sometimes feminine (ἡ θεός): a goddess
---------------
As an added note, and controversial, in John 1:1c there are basically three ways to view theós used in this verse.
1. the word was actually God Almighty. This is the mainstream view.
2. that the word was actually a god (the JW preference) as there is not definite article 'the' in front of it.
And then there's my preference, and of the very minority.
3. the word was actually divine, used as an adjective, a unique and intrinsic attribute of YHWH.

And why I believe this over the other first two choices is simple, the term '(W)word' from the Greek transliterated form of 'logos' is gender neutral or neuter. It can NEVER be a he or a she or any being with a these genders.
And the 'word' is any other scripture is never a person or a being.

The term for the Greek word logos means literally for God, YHWH, the Father, his expression, his voice, his purpose. In other places in scripture it can mean talk, a saying, speech etc. and never a person of any kind.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, the search leads to a Ha’aretz article, i think, or this one, The amazing name YHWH: meaning and etymology , but really the search might lead in more acceptable sources for you, as that one gets into the Masoretes’ Jehovah, which you might not like, plus you might even find some new stuff i am not aware of :)

They said YHWH is God's name as well sir:
The key scene in this respect seems to be Exodus 3:13-15, where God names himself first: אהיה אשר אהיה (I AM WHO I AM), then אהיה (I AM), and finally יהוה (YHWH) and states that this is his name forever and a memorial name to all generations.