You are Jesus' friend if:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry Happy, we must disagree, when was the last time you went to Jerusalem to make your sacrifices? Perhaps this explanation from Paul might help:
(Romans 6:14) . . .For sin must not be master over you, seeing that you are not under law but under undeserved kindness.
(Romans 7:6) . . .now we have been released from the Law, because we have died to that which restrained us, in order that we might be slaves in a new sense by the spirit and not in the old sense by the written code.
(Galatians 3:11-13) . . .it is evident that by law no one is declared righteous with God, because “the righteous one will live by reason of faith.” 12 Now the Law is not based on faith. Rather, “anyone who does these things will live by means of them.” 13 Christ purchased us, releasing us from the curse of the Law by becoming a curse instead of us, because it is written: “Accursed is every man hung upon a stake.”

Christians are still under laws, and many of them were included in the Law covenant given through Moses, but many are not as well.

Romans 6:14 Nothing in the definition of "grace" or "favor" suggests they are undeserved. Noah found grace BECAUSE he walked with Elohim. If grace were undeserved, the world should not have been destroyed.

Let's read the next 2 verses:
What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

We are not cursed by disobedience, so should we disobey? God forbid! Don't you know that the one you obey is your Master, and the one you obey leads you to either death or righteousness. Obeying Rome leads to death. Obeying YHVH leads to righteousness.

YHVH said that a sacrifice can only be made at the place where he put his Name, and that I must give my sacrifice to the attending priest. There is no Temple, so I can't. When the Temple is built again, it would be appropriate for Christians to offer sacrifices there. Acts 21:18-26 Paul is instructed by the elder to prove he is still Torah observant by taking a Nazarite vow.

Romans 7 is about the law of death in marriage. If you divorce, you cannot remarry. If your ex-spouse dies, you are released from that law. Taking it out of context is how it gets twisted.

The whole story of the Gospel is that we cheated on our husband. He gave us a divorce. He came and died. Now we are free to remarry, but now we can legally remarry our former husband, the Elohim of Israel, because he took on himself the form of flesh and died for us.

Galatians 3:11-13 There is nothing you can perform from the Law to erase the sin against God you have committed. That is why we are not justified by the Law. We have already broken it, and there is nothing we can do to erase that. The curse of the Law was "if you disobey the Law, I will curse you." We are no longer under the curse of the Law. We can now obey it freely, without the fear of condemnation.

If Christians are still under laws, they must be man-made, because YHVH said we are not under the Torah. The reason we obey his Law is because we love him, not because we fear being punished. Subject to the punishment is what "under the Law" means. Jesus redeemed us from that.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Their are decrees, ordinances, statutes, and commandments. I'd advise you not to put everything God said under the heading of "commandment." Jesus said, "You know the commandments ..."

every decree, ordinances, statutes, are commandments to me Bob, they are not negotiable, nor lesser or greater than others in my opinion. You are to obey all of them as Christians no matter what label you put to them, and of course not obeying them is a sin. Why the disagreement over simple words sir? Do you think because you label them a certain way that you are not quite as obligated to obey them? Now I will say that there are sins that are just ordinary such as not wearing a seatbelt where the superior authorities require it, in which your constant violations of it will likely not prevent you from inheriting the Kingdom, maybe like what people call little white lies either, but there are laws that will prevent you from inheriting the Kingdom of God if you practice them sir, they are listed at 1 Cro 6:9,10. No matter what you call them, I would not recommend doing them even once, let alone practice them. I guess I am failing to see your point Bob. I see it that any requirement is to be obeyed no matter what label a person puts on it.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's because I kept thinking of new things to say.
Yes sir, that is why I pointed out that you can edit your original post, it was a while before I learned you can do that, and I wasn't sure if you were aware of it as well.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
every decree, ordinances, statutes, are commandments to me Bob, they are not negotiable, nor lesser or greater than others in my opinion. You are to obey all of them as Christians no matter what label you put to them, and of course not obeying them is a sin. Why the disagreement over simple words sir? Do you think because you label them a certain way that you are not quite as obligated to obey them? Now I will say that there are sins that are just ordinary such as not wearing a seatbelt where the superior authorities require it, in which your constant violations of it will likely not prevent you from inheriting the Kingdom, maybe like what people call little white lies either, but there are laws that will prevent you from inheriting the Kingdom of God if you practice them sir, they are listed at 1 Cro 6:9,10. No matter what you call them, I would not recommend doing them even once, let alone practice them. I guess I am failing to see your point Bob. I see it that any requirement is to be obeyed no matter what label a person puts on it.
There are many, many, decrees, ordiances, and statutes in the Old Testament that Christians don't recognize - festivals, sin offerings, sacrifices of bulls, skin blemishes, and the like, and I don't think it was meant that Christians should follow these. But you can if you wish.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, that is why I pointed out that you can edit your original post, it was a while before I learned you can do that, and I wasn't sure if you were aware of it as well.
But as I said, if you read my post, and then I edit it, you won't be aware that I edited and won't read the edit. I wanted to make sure you read the edits. Is that red car for sale? Is that train for sale?

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many, many, decrees, ordiances, and statutes in the Old Testament that Christians don't recognize - festivals, sin offerings, sacrifices of bulls, skin blemishes, and the like, and I don't think it was meant that Christians should follow these. But you can if you wish.
The fact that Christians do not recognize the decrees, ordinances, festivals, sin offerings and sacrifices of bulls as all being the story of the Messiah has no bearings on their status as such. Luke 24:44

How is ANY man-made festival better than the ones given by YHVH to announce the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:14 Nothing in the definition of "grace" or "favor" suggests they are undeserved. Noah found grace BECAUSE he walked with Elohim. If grace were undeserved, the world should not have been destroyed.

Let's read the next 2 verses:
What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

We are not cursed by disobedience, so should we disobey? God forbid! Don't you know that the one you obey is your Master, and the one you obey leads you to either death or righteousness. Obeying Rome leads to death. Obeying YHVH leads to righteousness.

YHVH said that a sacrifice can only be made at the place where he put his Name, and that I must give my sacrifice to the attending priest. There is no Temple, so I can't. When the Temple is built again, it would be appropriate for Christians to offer sacrifices there. Acts 21:18-26 Paul is instructed by the elder to prove he is still Torah observant by taking a Nazarite vow.

Romans 7 is about the law of death in marriage. If you divorce, you cannot remarry. If your ex-spouse dies, you are released from that law. Taking it out of context is how it gets twisted.

The whole story of the Gospel is that we cheated on our husband. He gave us a divorce. He came and died. Now we are free to remarry, but now we can legally remarry our former husband, the Elohim of Israel, because he took on himself the form of flesh and died for us.

Galatians 3:11-13 There is nothing you can perform from the Law to erase the sin against God you have committed. That is why we are not justified by the Law. We have already broken it, and there is nothing we can do to erase that. The curse of the Law was "if you disobey the Law, I will curse you." We are no longer under the curse of the Law. We can now obey it freely, without the fear of condemnation.

If Christians are still under laws, they must be man-made, because YHVH said we are not under the Torah. The reason we obey his Law is because we love him, not because we fear being punished. Subject to the punishment is what "under the Law" means. Jesus redeemed us from that.

I agree, that is the way the translators of the version I quoted rendered it, I would not have translated it that way, nor would I have translated it to read grace either, the most literal meaning for the Greek word cavriß Charis is kindness.

Obeying YHVH leads to righteousness.
On this we fully agree.

Acts 21:18-26 Paul is instructed by the elder to prove he is still Torah observant by taking a Nazarite vow.
Paul stated very clearly this Happy:(1 Corinthians 9:20) . . .To the Jews I became as a Jew in order to gain Jews; to those under law I became as under law, though I myself am not under law, in order to gain those under law.

This is a law binding upon Christians as well, many laws are continued into the Christian covenant.
Divorce because of adultery, frees up the victim to remarriage however. (Matthew 5:32) . . .I say to you that everyone divorcing his wife, except on account of sexual immorality, makes her a subject for adultery. . .

We are not under the "torah" as you call it, but notice your following statement, so yes there are requirements that Christians have, and if they choose not to follow them it is sin.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is very true Bob. As I said Jesus' death released us from the Law covenant. It seems you are confused by the word law.

Reactions: Jim B

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But as I said, if you read my post, and then I edit it, you won't be aware that I edited and won't read the edit. I wanted to make sure you read the edits. Is that red car for sale? Is that train for sale?

Your new post was an addition to the same topic sir, I fail to understand the correlation.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To forgive seventy times seven times. That's why Jesus died for the forgiveness of sin. When we do that our life conforms to His.
And if he repent forgive him . That is right if our brother sins against us
we take it to him and he alone . If he repents we have won the brother .
If not we do the next thing and bring a couple of witnesses ,
if he still refuses to repent bring it before the church and if he wont hear the church
then let him be as a heathen unto you . We forgive others their trespasses against us .
But be sure and correct them as well . We dont just leave them in error .
Forgive and ye shall be forgiven . Correct any who does err , for that is the love of GOD within one at work as well .
IF we see any of the brethren in any error , we correct . And we do so for their sake and for the sake of the church
so as leaven wont fill the place . ME thinks many forget the correction part and thus sin is fast and has fast filled
the churches . CORRECTION is LOVE , remember that as well .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is very true Bob. As I said Jesus' death released us from the Law covenant. It seems you are confused by the word law.
I'm not confused about anything, I don't think. The Lord had me repent of sin I was committing and my life was transformed. I have no intention of committing those sins again. But when I tell others about my experience, some protest, saying, "We are not bound by law!"

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your new post was an addition to the same topic sir, I fail to understand the correlation.
Let's say I want to tell you something, so I quote you and say what I have to say.

Five minutes later I think of something else I want to say to you. You're telling me all I have to do is edit the first post. HOWEVER, if you've already read the first post, then you probably won't know I edited it, and probably won't read the edit.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you want to be Jesus' friend? Most of us do, many think we are already his friend.
Jesus stated frankly: (John 15:14) . . .You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.
Jesus commanded a lot of things, and even more commandments are found given to Jesus' friends throughout the rest of the New Testament.

What are some of these commandments that you appreciate putting into practice?

Love God! Love one another!

Peace be with you!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not confused about anything, I don't think. The Lord had me repent of sin I was committing and my life was transformed. I have no intention of committing those sins again. But when I tell others about my experience, some protest, saying, "We are not bound by law!"

Good for you Bob! We all sin, but forgiveness is based on our repentance. Christians of course have laws, and many of those were carried over from the Law covenant. Those that were as well as those new laws are binding for sure, and we are just as obligated to obey them now as we were during the pre-Christian law.

Reactions: Bob Estey

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's say I want to tell you something, so I quote you and say what I have to say.

Five minutes later I think of something else I want to say to you. You're telling me all I have to do is edit the first post. HOWEVER, if you've already read the first post, then you probably won't know I edited it, and probably won't read the edit.

Very good point sir. I only come here once a day, but many may converse back and forth, so I definitely understand your point.

Reactions: Bob Estey

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, that is the way the translators of the version I quoted rendered it, I would not have translated it that way, nor would I have translated it to read grace either, the most literal meaning for the Greek word cavriß Charis is kindness.

Obeying YHVH leads to righteousness.
On this we fully agree.

Acts 21:18-26 Paul is instructed by the elder to prove he is still Torah observant by taking a Nazarite vow.
Paul stated very clearly this Happy:(1 Corinthians 9:20) . . .To the Jews I became as a Jew in order to gain Jews; to those under law I became as under law, though I myself am not under law, in order to gain those under law.

This is a law binding upon Christians as well, many laws are continued into the Christian covenant.
Divorce because of adultery, frees up the victim to remarriage however. (Matthew 5:32) . . .I say to you that everyone divorcing his wife, except on account of sexual immorality, makes her a subject for adultery. . .

We are not under the "torah" as you call it, but notice your following statement, so yes there are requirements that Christians have, and if they choose not to follow them it is sin.

1 Corinthians 9:21 Yes. "To the Jews I made myself appear as subject to the punishment of the Law so that I could stand on the same theological ground as they. I know I am no longer subject to that punishment because I have been redeemed."

Paul did not then DISOBEY the Torah in order to win the Gentiles. In fact, that is the very problem he had with Peter in Galatians 2:11-15.

"How can you expect the Gentiles to obey YHVH if YOU are setting a bad example for them in your disobedience?"

The requirements a Christian has are the same ones that a Jew has. "Gentile" means "nations." More specifically, it refers to people groups that are strangers to Israel, and to the promises of YHVH. Once a Gentile begins the path of belief in YHVH and his redemption through the blood of Yeshua, he is NO LONGER a Gentile. He is a fellow citizen of Israel. Ephesians 2:11-12.

Jehovah calls it "Torah."

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are Jesus' friend if:
determining the reality of others is not in one's bag of tricks!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9:21 Yes. "To the Jews I made myself appear as subject to the punishment of the Law so that I could stand on the same theological ground as they. I know I am no longer subject to that punishment because I have been redeemed."

Paul did not then DISOBEY the Torah in order to win the Gentiles. In fact, that is the very problem he had with Peter in Galatians 2:11-15.

"How can you expect the Gentiles to obey YHVH if YOU are setting a bad example for them in your disobedience?"

The requirements a Christian has are the same ones that a Jew has. "Gentile" means "nations." More specifically, it refers to people groups that are strangers to Israel, and to the promises of YHVH. Once a Gentile begins the path of belief in YHVH and his redemption through the blood of Yeshua, he is NO LONGER a Gentile. He is a fellow citizen of Israel. Ephesians 2:11-12.

Jehovah calls it "Torah."

We don't speak in Hebrew, so we refer to the Holy writings as the Bible today. Paul stated openly he was not under law, we Christians today are not under the same laws of the Law Covenant. Yes we Christians are under the same requirements as the Israel of God Gal 6:16 with which the new covenant is made with, who come from all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues Rev 5:9,10