Your favorite Psalm?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 139 is most encouraging to me.

O Lord , thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord , thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men. For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain. Do not I hate them, O Lord , that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies. Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalms 139:1‭-‬24 KJV
This is my favorite too....for now anyway....it kinda changes depending on what is happening in my life.

Reactions: farouk

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 139, Psalm 23, Psalm 51 (verse 10 especially).

Reactions: farouk

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Soverign Grace ; @1stCenturyLady Did you see this new thread? :)

(A Psalm of David.) LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Psalm 139 is most encouraging to me.

... Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalms 139:1‭-‬24 KJV
Mayflower:

Psalm 19.14 has a similar thought:

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."

Thanks again! :)

Reactions: Pisteuo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
(A Psalm of David.) LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.
Great! so which Psalm is this?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Thank you, @farouk

This thread is indeed a 'blessing'. :)

* I can join with those who have contributed so far, much that has been shared are my favorites too. Psalm 139 has a place in my heart. However as Amadeus said, a favourite is hard to pin down. I love the words of Psalm 12:6-7:-

'The words of the LORD are pure words:
.. as silver tried in a furnace of earth,
.... purified seven times.
....Thou shalt keep them, O LORD,
..thou shalt preserve them
from this generation for ever.'

* and also Psalm 8:-

'O LORD our Lord, how excellent is Thy name in all the earth!
Who hast set Thy glory above the heavens.
.. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength
.... because of thine enemies,
...... that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider Thy heavens,
.. the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars,
.... which Thou hast ordained;
...... what is man, that Thou art mindful of him?
........ and the son of man, that Thou visitest him?
.......... For Thou hast made him a little lower than the angels,
............ and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of Thy hands;
.. thou hast put all things under his feet:
.... All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
...... The fowl of the air,
........ and the fish of the sea,
.......... and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.

O LORD our Lord, how excellent is Thy name in all the earth!'

* Genesis 1:26 & Genesis 1:28; Job 38:33; Daniel 7:14;

May God be praised!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you, @farouk

This thread is indeed a 'blessing'. :)

* I can join with those who have contributed so far, much that has been shared are my favorites too. Psalm 139 has a place in my heart. However as Amadeus said, a favourite is hard to pin down. I love the words of Psalm 12:6-7:-

'The words of the LORD are pure words:
.. as silver tried in a furnace of earth,
.... purified seven times.
....Thou shalt keep them, O LORD,
..thou shalt preserve them
from this generation for ever.'

* and also Psalm 8:-

'O LORD our Lord, how excellent is Thy name in all the earth!
Who hast set Thy glory above the heavens.
.. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength
.... because of thine enemies,
...... that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider Thy heavens,
.. the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars,
.... which Thou hast ordained;
...... what is man, that Thou art mindful of him?
........ and the son of man, that Thou visitest him?
.......... For Thou hast made him a little lower than the angels,
............ and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of Thy hands;
.. thou hast put all things under his feet:
.... All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
...... The fowl of the air,
........ and the fish of the sea,
.......... and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.

O LORD our Lord, how excellent is Thy name in all the earth!'

* Gen.1:26, 28; Job 38:33; Dan 7:14;

May God be praised!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Great post; thanks!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really can't choose. All are my favorite since the Holy Spirit speaks to me as the living word through all of them upon occasion. It's really not possible to choose one is it?

As far as getting peace through repentance and emptying of yourself;
Psalm 62:8 KJVS
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

As to standing against evil;
Psalm 94:16 KJVS
Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?

As for knowing he is for me;
Psalm 41:11 KJVS
By this I know that thou favourest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me.

I even have a little song he gave me using this scripture.

As for helping me when in trouble;
Psalm 50:15 KJVS
And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

When I'm weary;
Psalm 68:9 KJVS
Thou, O God, didst send a plentiful rain, whereby thou didst confirm thine inheritance, when it was weary.

When friends forsake me;
Psalm 9:10 KJVS
And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord , hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

When I'm afflicted with sickness;
Psalm 41:3 KJVS
The Lord will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

When bad news arrives at my door;
Psalm 112:7 KJVS
He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord .

When I'm down to hope alone;
Psalm 33:18,22 KJVS
Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; [22] Let thy mercy, O Lord , be upon us, according as we hope in thee.

When I feel I'm as alone as Elijah;
Psalm 102:7 KJVS
I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
In this thinking we err since;
Luke 12:6 KJVS
Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?

When my strength has failed;
Psalm 27:1 KJVS
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

When I yearn for a sure word;
Psalm 111:7 KJVS
The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.

When I need wisdom;
Psalm 119:98 KJVS
Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.

They are too wonderful to choose only one. Each is the best upon it's timely remembrance.

Like my children they are all best.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I really can't choose. All are my favorite since the Holy Spirit speaks to me as the living word through all of them upon occasion. It's really not possible to choose one is it?

As far as getting peace through repentance and emptying of yourself;
Psalm 62:8 KJVS
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

As to standing against evil;
Psalm 94:16 KJVS
Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?

As for knowing he is for me;
Psalm 41:11 KJVS
By this I know that thou favourest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me.

I even have a little song he gave me using this scripture.

As for helping me when in trouble;
Psalm 50:15 KJVS
And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

When I'm weary;
Psalm 68:9 KJVS
Thou, O God, didst send a plentiful rain, whereby thou didst confirm thine inheritance, when it was weary.

When friends forsake me;
Psalm 9:10 KJVS
And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord , hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

When I'm afflicted with sickness;
Psalm 41:3 KJVS
The Lord will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

When bad news arrives at my door;
Psalm 112:7 KJVS
He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord .

When I'm down to hope alone;
Psalm 33:18,22 KJVS
Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; [22] Let thy mercy, O Lord , be upon us, according as we hope in thee.

When I feel I'm as alone as Elijah;
Psalm 102:7 KJVS
I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
In this thinking we err since;
Luke 12:6 KJVS
Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?

When my strength has failed;
Psalm 27:1 KJVS
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

When I yearn for a sure word;
Psalm 111:7 KJVS
The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.

When I need wisdom;
Psalm 119:98 KJVS
Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.

They are too wonderful to choose only one. Each is the best upon it's timely remembrance.

Like my children they are all best.
Great contributions; thank-you! and I'm intrigued by the song from Psalm 41! :)

Reactions: Frank Lee

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@VictoryinJesus referred to Psalm 40 on the other thread:

"I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

5 Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, thou knowest.

10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.

12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me.

13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me.

14 Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.

15 Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha.

16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified.

17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God."

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
People smile about Psalm 119 being the longest Psalm, but actually it is a very wonderful Psalm, with each section about the word, the law, or similar subject.