Your favorite Psalm?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
15790-bible-beautiful-kjv-psalms-110-3_preview.jpg

Reactions: amigo de christo

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 27
KJV

27 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

4 One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.

5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

6 And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.

7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.

8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

9 Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.

11 Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Psalm 27
KJV

27 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

4 One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.

5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

6 And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.

7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.

8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

9 Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.

11 Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.
@Wynona

Great Psalm there! :)

(The first phrase of verse 1 - in Latin - is the motto of Oxford University, actually: DOMINUS ILLUMINATIO MEA.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know that I have an absolute favorite, but Psalm 27 has always been very special to me. I discovered it in high school, and it struck a chord. The Psalm is all about enduring, persevering, never giving up, looking ahead, clinging to God's promises, seeking His beauty and His presence when the world around you is cruel and unforgiving and falling apart. I needed that message back then, just as much as I need it now.

I also like Psalm 121. I struggle with anxiety, fear, nightmares, loneliness. Knowing that God is my keeper, He's never asleep, He's still watching when I'm alone in the dark, struggling to sleep... it's very comforting.
@UnrulyBeauty

@Wynona just quoted Psalm 27... :)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Good to see you! Got any more favorite Psalms? :)

Psa 61:1 [[To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David.]] Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
Psa 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psa 61:3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
Psa 61:4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

HUGS

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Psa 61:1 [[To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David.]] Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
Psa 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psa 61:3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
Psa 61:4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

HUGS
@Ziggy Thank-you! :)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread has been going since 2018... :) No reason to close it, I guess... :)
I don't think we have exhausted all of the Psalms yet, have we? :)

Psa 84:2 My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
Psa 84:3 Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God.
Psa 84:4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
Psa 84:5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.

Hugs

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't think we have exhausted all of the Psalms yet, have we? :)

Psa 84:2 My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
Psa 84:3 Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God.
Psa 84:4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
Psa 84:5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.

Hugs
@Ziggy: I was thinking there in Psalm 84.3, about the sparrow finding a nest, that Luke 9.58 says: "And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." A solemn thought...

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy: I was thinking there in Psalm 84.3, about the sparrow finding a nest, that Luke 9.58 says: "And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." A solemn thought...
That made me think of Herod, that old fox... the political leaders.
The birds of the air having nests, the religious leaders living in the synagogues. (High places)
But the Son of man.. thinking of the homeless and the poor.. where do they lay their heads?

Mat 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Psa 27:6 And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.

Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
Eph 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Eph 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
Eph 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

HUGS
:)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy:

PS: Great header verse there also from the Psalms :) :

"Psa 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom."

Luke 10:19..
Comes in handy when walking among other forums that are not as gracious as this one.
:)

Reactions: farouk

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalms 25 holds a dear place in my heart.

6 Remember, O LORD, Your tender mercies
and Your lovingkindnesses,
For they are from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my
youth, nor my transgressions;
According to Your mercy remember me,
For Your goodness' sake, O LORD.​

As someone who has many sins from youth and many transgressions, these pleads from David resonate in my heart...

8 Good and upright is the LORD;
Therefore He teaches sinners in the way.
9 The humble He guides in justice,
And the humble He teaches His way.
10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth,
To such as keep His covenant
and His testimonies.
11 For Your name's sake, O LORD,
Pardon my iniquity, for it is great.
So inspiring to see a man as great as David profess his iniquities and humble himself before the LORD.

16 Turn Yourself to me, and have mercy on me,
For I am desolate and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart have enlarged;
Bring me out of my distresses!
18 Look on my affliction and my pain,
And forgive all my sins.​

If ever consoling a sinner in need of repentance and the tender mercy and grace of the LORD, I will share this Psalm with gladness. All the praises and glory to the Almighty Father, who sent His Son to tend to the sick and needy sinners desiring His lovingkindness and goodness.

Reactions: farouk and Ziggy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 46
For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. According to alamoth. A song.
1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

8 Come and see what the Lord has done,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease
to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the shields with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”

11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 46 - New International Version

Reactions: Ziggy and farouk