Your wife is about to labor, Doc says death for mother is imminent unless abort the baby. Poll

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong
To all Christians: what decision would you make ?

Epic Predicament.

You are the husband standing beside the bed of your spouse who will give birth to a baby. Complication with the baby so whether C-section or natural birth would most likely (99.9%) result to the death of the mother-to-be. Doctor's medical advice is to abort to save the mother or save the baby but must cut lose the mother.

xBluxTunicx82

Apr 6, 2012
Trust that Gods will is being done. Pray and humble yourself, Job lost EVERYTHING and still loved God.

I couldn't begin to imagine the pain of having to make a decision like this... but perhaps the mothers 'purpose' is to be fulfilled in that child. Natural death is by far a better option than commiting murder on the unborn anyday.

Again, it would be the most tragic of choices, but if you are filled with the Spirit, trust in God!

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong
Trust that Gods will is being done. Pray and humble yourself, Job lost EVERYTHING and still loved God.

I couldn't begin to imagine the pain of having to make a decision like this... but perhaps the mothers 'purpose' is to be fulfilled in that child. Natural death is by far a better option than commiting murder on the unborn anyday.

Again, it would be the most tragic of choices, but if you are filled with the Spirit, trust in God!

Thanks for sharing and this is not meant to be a trick question but purely hypothetical. Sometimes I create dilemmas in my mind and ask myself " What would Jesus do"? This is how I grow : Iron sharpens Iron. Besides God's words, feedback from other Christians are bread that I live off with. :)

Make no mistakes, there are probably thousands of Christians around the world who are making this vary decision each day and pray fervently for God for guidance if not a miracle but ultimately, a choice must be made.

What is your angle ? What do you think the Holy Spirit would ask of you to do?

Blessings!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This situation happens. I think there is no question I would save the mother.

xBluxTunicx82

Apr 6, 2012
I would fervently ask God to allow his will to be completed. I would humble myself and accept the outcome and remain faithful in the Lord. It really isn't a mans decision to take the life of one coming into this world OR to save the life of one who is passing. When we die, we die and we shouldn't be afraid. I half expected Aspen there to say what he did. A child is to be a blessing from the Lord and should be accepted as such

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong
I would fervently ask God to allow his will to be completed. I would humble myself and accept the outcome and remain faithful in the Lord. It really isn't a mans decision to take the life of one coming into this world OR to save the life of one who is passing. When we die, we die and we shouldn't be afraid. I half expected Aspen there to say what he did. A child is to be a blessing from the Lord and should be accepted as such

I would fervently ask God to allow his will to be completed. In other words, let your will be done but not mine, but please get this over with so me and my wife shall suffer no more.

Been there done that, turns out both survived. Not so epic after all.

Well I did mentioned 99.9% chance for a reason. the other .1% is saved for God's miracle and I suppose you are a living testimony to that fact. How blessed you are !!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Yeah, I noticed. But I also noticed that me + God makes a majority, even in statistics.

If was going to be her time to go then it would have been her time, same with the boy, maybe both. You're scenario isn't one that attempts to cheat death, it's an argument to cheat life.

Reactions: Angelina

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
As someone with a medical degree...if this was the situation, they would do c section and baby most likely and mother would be okay...abortion now that is another thing because to do aboortion is like natural child birth...only they kill the baby with sissors to the back of the brain stem then pull it out to die on a table...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if the baby is right at the line of being strong enough to survive outside the womb? Are you prepared to lose your wife?

Would you be prepared to die - leaving your wife to raise the child and all other children - for the life of your child that has a less than 50% chance of living?

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Trust God . . . and don't kill your baby!

Yeah, I noticed. But I also noticed that me + God makes a majority, even in statistics.

If was going to be her time to go then it would have been her time, same with the boy, maybe both. You're scenario isn't one that attempts to cheat death, it's an argument to cheat life.

Exactly!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
asp, I have your posts blocked but today I am reading everyone's and I find your interesting. I was given a 3% chance to live 2 years ago, yet here I am. My wife is still dealing with the trauma that revelation caused and now every time I get the sniffles she files into a panic attack.

All of these "what if" scenarios and questions all belay an undercurrent of a couple of things:

1) Pride: The notion that I know better than God in making life and death decisions outside of His authority is pure pride.
2) Idolatry: Pride's Siamese twin, Idolatry, if I know better than God then I must be better than God for decisions in my life.

So, before any of us go asking "what if", stop and ask "what IS".

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
asp, I have your posts blocked but today I am reading everyone's and I find your interesting. I was given a 3% chance to live 2 years ago, yet here I am. My wife is still dealing with the trauma that revelation caused and now every time I get the sniffles she files into a panic attack.

All of these "what if" scenarios and questions all belay an undercurrent of a couple of things:

1) Pride: The notion that I know better than God in making life and death decisions outside of His authority is pure pride.
2) Idolatry: Pride's Siamese twin, Idolatry, if I know better than God then I must be better than God for decisions in my life.

So, before any of us go asking "what if", stop and ask "what IS".

I understand the importance of considering what is - and I appreciate you emphasizing it. My concern is that God has given us the ability to create medicine and advanced medical care - if we carried your reasoning to the extreme (and I am not claiming you are doing this - I think your position is valid) we could end up refusing all medical intervention - where do you draw the line?

In my case, I am not willing to leave my spouse if I had the choice - not sure if that is pleasing to God or not, to be honest

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Why not trust God to save both?

How do you know your decision won't cost your wife her life?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not trust God to save both?

How do you know your decision won't cost your wife her life?

It is not like I am tossing a coin - I am assuming that the doctors are going to focus on saving her. You are also assuming that I am choosing to trust the doctors over God - that is not the case - I believe they are on the same side. Finally, my real hope is that both will survive, but if that is not possible, I would choose my wife and I hope she would choose me. Fact is, a 100 years ago both would die - I am just glad that medicine has progressed enough to save one.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
What if the baby is right at the line of being strong enough to survive outside the womb? Are you prepared to lose your wife?

Would you be prepared to die - leaving your wife to raise the child and all other children - for the life of your child that has a less than 50% chance of living?

Aspen, this is where the doctors remove the baby and place it in the neonatal intesive care unit and work on saving it's life, and in the process save your wife, or you could lose both anyway even if the do a c section....I have seen babies small enough to fit in your hand perfect...They lived and so did the mother...You know I watched a tv show last night where a doctor performed surgery on a young boy but pertended to sew up the artery that was bleeding and claimed the child was better off dead than to wake up with a possibility of some damage and unable to walk again...pure fiction, but then again if this situation happened leave it to God, because we are not God and should never try to be and decide on life and death...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen, this is where the doctors remove the baby and place it in the neonatal intesive care unit and work on saving it's life, and in the process save your wife, or you could lose both anyway even if the do a c section....I have seen babies small enough to fit in your hand perfect...They lived and so did the mother...You know I watched a tv show last night where a doctor performed surgery on a young boy but pertended to sew up the artery that was bleeding and claimed the child was better off dead than to wake up with a possibility of some damage and unable to walk again...pure fiction, but then again if this situation happened leave it to God, because we are not God and should never try to be and decide on life and death...

Cool. I do not want to experience the ending of any form of life - however, if it came down to a choice between my wife and my unborn child, I choose my wife.

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong
Cool. I do not want to experience the ending of any form of life - however, if it came down to a choice between my wife and my unborn child, I choose my wife.

I agree with you in this. Given all options are depleted and a choice must be made. Also when my plead to God has been finalized to save them while the doctor is awaiting my signature of consent, I must do what I have to do.

Mark said why not ask God to save both ? Yes I would do that. But after that what would be your next move? Kneel down in reverence to God and do nothing while the clock is ticking ? Run out of the room and past the ball to the Doc saying "God will guide you" ? But we use our limited wisdom to rationalize situations> Situations like how Shep describe the advanced medical procedure being able to solve all birth problems but knowing each medical procedure is not a universal solution because each case is unique, therefore not applicable here for argumentative reason. There will be a time to face the inevitable.

Isaiah 55:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
[sup]9 [/sup]“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

When Jesus was in the flesh, he was able to feel thirsty, susceptible to temptations, feel pain when being flogged, he wept and angry at the flea market when people were selling and buying at God's temple. My point is: Jesus is both divine and human and but yet walked among us with his human side so he would totally understand in "our eyes" and "our hearts" and our emotions of our frailty.

That being said, I feel it is safe to assume that Jesus would not judge us on our decision as long as He sees a heart who has faith in him and knowing ultimately the great healer isn't the doctor but Jesus , and given Isaiah 55:8-9 I would believe which ever one I choose the other would depart in the care of the Almighty.

I concur with Aspen to choose to save the wife not because I love my baby any less, is because the bonding in years between a husband and wife is so deep rooted the husband would be more reluctant to let her go. This is just my justification of being human, we are flawed in many ways but the spiritual and emotional unity of a matrimony is very strong. Whether in spirit, flesh or in emotion we are fused together as one. There is no right or wrong on how to go about this case. It's rather a trial for us to think about our trust in the Lord and knows that John 10:29

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father's hand.[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]That is a promise from Jesus. If this assurance is not enough than I don't know what is.[/background]

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Layhoma - you explained yourself very well - thank you.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
My wife would come first,the husband/wife relationship is supposed to be the closest and most important relationship in life....God first,spouse second,children and all others third...the epidemic of child worship has broken up more than one home..the relationship between mother and father is the foundation upon which the children depend for the stability and security they need to learn and grow.....how many marriages end when the nest is empty and the objects of worship are gone and two people stare at each other because their relationship has been on the shelf for 20 years or more and they no longer know each other.

I looked at some of my facebook friends the other day and its amazing how many of them have posted statements,poems,music ect to express their endless depthless and unending worship of their children but how rare it is to see any of them even mention their husband or wife.