‘those that oppose themselves’

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do we know which verbs are Middle with Passive sense or Middle with Active sense? Memorization? I'm guessing there's a chart somewhere...
For those verbs that can be applied to oneself (directly, indirectly or mutually*) it is both, unless the context restricts the meaning to only one sense. Other verbs make sense only in one of the two ways... or neither, in which case they are said to have a neutral sense (they denote a state rather than an action).

In case it is not evident, the sense has to do with the meaning, whereas the voice with the grammar.
While I have you then, let me ask you something I have always wondered about: I sometimes leaned towards defining Middle Voice using the word become, as in to "become loosed from," to distinguish true Middle voice from to "be loosed from" which reads like passive, and "loose myself from" which reads more like active. What do you think?
It would depend on the usage and where the focus is, on the end result, the action itself or on who is carrying out (or suffering) the action.

____
* two people kissing each other for example. :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those verbs that can be applied to oneself (directly, indirectly or mutually*) it is both, unless the context restricts the meaning to only one sense. Other verbs make sense only in one of the two ways... or neither, in which case they are said to have a neutral sense (they denote a state rather than an action).

I knew it would be something simple like this, LoL.
It would depend on the usage and where the focus is, on the end result, the action itself or on who is carrying out (or suffering) the action.

Ugh... you're making me remember why I only have so much stamina for Greek ; )

Thanks for the info. Refreshing to see someone here who has some knowledge of Greek. I had a friend over at Worthy (Gandalf The Wise) who used to help me out sometimes when it came to this stuff. You are the first person I've met over here.

God bless, and if you don't mind maybe I'll run some translations by you some day, and see what you have to say.

Thanks again,
- H

Reactions: icxn

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, [25] In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; [26] And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Acts 18:4-6 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. [5] And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ. [6] And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

What does it mean they oppose themselves?
Hello @VictoryinJesus,

You have many posts in answer to your question, 'What does it mean 'they oppose themselves?' I would like to consider what exactly was being opposed in both these cases that you have brought forward (i.e., 2 Timothy 2:24-26 and Acts 18:4-6). For if we were to take up either as instruction for ourselves, we would need to be sure that what was being opposed in our case, measured up to the standard raised in both cases. For we come onto the forum, with different thoughts regarding many things, and sometimes we find agreement, and sometimes direct opposition. That opposition in itself, may be justified or it may not, depending on whether what we have said is Biblically sound or not.

In Acts 18, Paul testified that the Lord Jesus was the Messiah (Christ) - which was true, and so any opposition received was not justified.
In 2 Timothy 2:24-26, Timothy had been told to avoid 'foolish' and 'unlearned' questions for they merely gender strife: and having received the form of sound words, from Paul, it was this that he would have preached. So any opposition received would have been unjustified.

In our case, in a forum situation, opposition in itself can be a good thing, in that it makes us question, assess and correct if necessary, our thinking in regard to the subject being opposed. Paul in 2 Timothy gives us instruction as to the spirit that should characterise our responses:-

'And the servant of the Lord must not strive;
but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves;
if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil,
who are taken captive by him at his will.'

(2 Timothy 2:24)

We are living in a time when the doctrine of demons is evident around us, and among us, so opposition to the truth will be increasing. We must therefore remember the spirit that we are of, and refrain from striving and hard words, and exercise meekness and patient endurance under evil, even when dealing with those that oppose themselves against the Truth of God. Being willing to be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, and in meekness instruct those that oppose themselves, in the hope that God will enable them to have a change of mind and recover themselves.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris