‘those that oppose themselves’

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, [25] In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; [26] And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Acts 18:4-6 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. [5] And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ. [6] And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

What does it mean they oppose themselves?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, [25] In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; [26] And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Acts 18:4-6 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. [5] And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ. [6] And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

@VictoryinJesus Good question; I've always taken it to mean when ppl say unclear and self-contradictory things. (People get into arguments and it goes round and round.)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus Good question; I've always taken it to mean when ppl say unclear and self-contradictory things. (People get into arguments and it goes round and round.)

Another who opposes and exalts himself...
2 Thessalonians 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi, Victory. Basically, it just means "bad translation of middle voice in Greek," LoL.

In Acts 18:6, the word ἀντιτασσομένων should be translated as "setting themselves in opposition [to Jesus]." Thus, literal translation would be, "But they, setting themselves in opposition [to Him] and blaspheming, he, having shaken his garments, said unto them, 'Your blood is upon your head.'"

in 2 Timothy 2:25, ἀντιδιατιθεμένους (also in middle voice) should be translated "opposing you." Thus it would read, "In meekness instructing those who oppose you, if peradventure God will grant them repentance unto an acknowledging of the truth."

Make more sense?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, Victory. Basically, it just means "bad translation of middle voice in Greek," LoL.

In Acts 18:6, the word ἀντιτασσομένων should be translated as "setting themselves in opposition [to Jesus]." Thus, literal translation would be, "But they, setting themselves in opposition [to Him] and blaspheming, he, having shaken his garments, said unto them, 'Your blood is upon your head.'"

in 2 Timothy 2:25, ἀντιδιατιθεμένους (also in middle voice) should be translated "opposing you." Thus it would read, "In meekness instructing those who oppose you, if peradventure God will grant them repentance unto an acknowledging of the truth."

Make more sense?

Ah, to me it does now, ty!!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Make more sense?
Yes, I remember there are three voices in Greek: active, middle and passive, rather than two as in English.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

From the notes in the Believers Bible. It says:-

A person wrongs his own soul by refusing to bow to the word of God. Such people need to be corrected lest they ignorantly go on with the mistaken notion that their view is in accordance with the Scriptures.

(grin)

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

well in the context of the text you use, if you deny Christ, you oppose your own salvation, hence in the view of those who bring the message see it as the persons are opposing themselves.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I remember there are three voices in Greek: active, middle and passive, rather than two as in English.

have no idea what you mean three voices in Greek: active, middle, and passive. I wish I understood it but I’m a writer with bad grammar skills. Understand ones voice which even in writing makes them unique from other authors. Makes me think of God is not the author of confusion.

What do you mean active, middle and passive?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
have no idea what you mean three voices in Greek: active, middle, and passive. I wish I understood it but I’m a writer with bad grammar skills. Understand ones voice which even in writing makes them unique from other authors. Makes me think of God is not the author of confusion.

@VictoryinJesus
I eat muffins. (Active voice)

I am eaten by muffins (Passive voice; does not make sense either.)

Greek has a middle voice which reads approximately: I eat myself to the muffins (does not make sense either, but Greek does have this grammatical facility. In some languages, it is similar to the reflexive.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@VictoryinJesus
I eat muffins. (Active voice)

Greek has a middle voice which reads approximately: I eat myself to the muffins (does not make sense either, but Greek does have this grammatical facility. In some languages, it is similar to the reflexive.
Well you stand by the true word of God, (active) or the word of God will send you to Hell. (passive)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Make more sense?
I can go back to, "they opposed themselves" and see it with these things in mind. Yes, makes good sense!

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So when others said I am a passive writer. It means how it relates ‘If am eaten by muffins.’ which doesn’t make sense. Oh help, no wonder I have trouble getting out what I’m trying to say. Thank you. But how does this help understand the verses above? Bad translation?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So when others said I am a passive writer. I meant how it relates ‘If am eaten by muffins.’ which doesn’t make sense. Oh help, no wonder I have trouble getting out what I’m trying to say. Thank you. But how does this help understand the verses above? Bad translation?
@VictoryinJesus I was simply giving a grammatical demonstration; rather than thinking about the wide meaning of the verb.

The active infinitive in English is: to eat

The passive infinitive is: to be eaten

Greek, on the other hand, has a third form, or third voice, the function of which is between the other two.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well in the context of the text you use, if you deny Christ, you oppose your own salvation, hence in the view of those who bring the message see it as the persons are opposing themselves.

oppose and contrary ...are they similar?

Acts 26:9-10 I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. [10] Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These refer to the direction of an action.

Active, the action is going out from you.

I throw the ball, written in Greek, you can use the same words, but with different verb voices.

I throw the ball - in active voice, I'm throwing a ball away from myself.

I throw the ball - in passive voice, I'm thrown the ball from someone else.

I throw the ball - in the middle or reflexive voice, I throw the ball to myself.

So you can write the same words, but the different forms show who's doing the action, and towards whom.

So in this case, anti - against; tasso, to position or appoint, I think @Hidden In Him ; by the word we know this is to position against, by the voice we know that it's the person positioning themself against.

Clear as mud?

Much love!

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus I was simply giving a grammatical demonstration; rather than thinking about the wide meaning of the verb.

The active infinitive in English is: to eat

The passive infinitive is: to be eaten

Greek, on the other hand, has a third form, or third voice, the function of which is between the other two.

it is okay. Doubt I will understand. That is maybe why I struggle with concordances.

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

No?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is okay. Doubt I will understand. That is maybe why I struggle with concordances.

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

No?
Who does exist, and Who has existed, and is coming here!

Much love!