“Bible alone” is the cos of confusion!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water...is plenty available to men to ... sprinkle, dip, immerse, their body, their clothing, their possessions....ie CLEAN the OUTSIDE!

It satisfies the INDIVIDUAL, and satisfies the Eyes of ON LOOKERS...
It’s a long standing RITUAL that men are quite capable of doing, which that ONLY addresses the OUTSIDE FLESH.

Ding, ding, ding........Jesus came with a MESSAGE about CLEANSING the INSIDE of a man ONCE and FOREVER. Have you HEARD?
It’s the BLOOD OF JESUS...

wash / water
Jn 3:22 they baptized
Acts 22:16 wash away
Titus 3:5 washing
Water and the spirit
Jn 3:5 ez 36:25-27

baptismal regeneration

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some things in scripture are rather straight forward other things in the bible.are not. You only have to look at the many interpretations of end times scenarios we have. The Holy Spirit often speaks though scripture to us individually in different ways. More so in edification and comfort. The book of Psalms be a perfect example of that. Yes the truth does set us free and the Holy Spirit shall lead us into all truth. But the word of God is a life time journey of study as is our relationship with our lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

Reasons For Confusion About The End:

1. Bible Scripture about the last days and very end of this world is a specific area that requires understanding by The Holy Spirit. Many brethren get confused just by reading... the Book of Revelation, when its symbolic writing style is very close to how God gave the prophecies through His Old Testament prophets. Revelation thus confuses those who obviously have not... studied all their Bible, particularly the OT prophets. And quite a bit of Revelation was first given throughout The New Testament writings also.

2. Lord Jesus warned us about the "hireling" in John 10 that preaches for money, and will run and let the wolves that creep in attack the sheep. And that is exactly what many of man's Christian organizational systems have allowed, the creeping in of those who preach as a business. God didn't call them. So if they get away from preaching The Gospel Message which is simple and easy to preach, then they are lost in confusion.

3. God through His servants also warned His people about the mystery of iniquity that creeps in, and causes confusion, on purpose. This is about the "tares" in Christ's parable of the tares of the field in Matthew 13. They hide. Apostle Paul warned about them also in 2 Corinthians 11, warning us to not be deceived like that old serpent deceived Eve. And Lord Jesus even commanded us to not allow any man to deceive us.

Thusly, no believer on Jesus Christ can make a valid excuse for being in confusion in God's Word. We have been warned so many times in His Word against false ones that creep in and to be careful who we listen to, so that should be very... obvious that we are to LISTEN TO OUR HEAVENLY FATHER AND HIS SON IN HIS WORD ALWAYS FIRST, even to check and verify in His Word like a good Berean that Apostle Paul commended for checking him out in the Scriptures. We have no excuse (unless one has a reading disability, etc. But even then, one can get The Bible in audio also.)

And know this, God's Word full strength, undiluted, is "strong meat". If listened to, it will turn over many modern conventions of this world which many have accepted. So it is not popular, and those who 'stay' with it as written will never be popular in this world.

Reactions: Prim

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I never said no to the scripture only no to the false doctrine of “the Bible alone” apart from the church the teaching authority of Christ!

how can you even know what is the Bible?
Have you ever read Dan 13 about the faith of Susana?

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15
matt 18:17

Christ and His church are one! acts 9:4 Acts 5:32 Jn 15:1-5

Truth is immutable! Cannot change!

Truth and the church are divine!
They come from God and cannot be in error or imperfect so they cannot change or be reformed by man to say they can is blasphemy and treason against God who revealed them!

And same truths revealed by Christ and taught by the church are always believed and taught from the beginning when Christ taught his church in person! Jude 1:3 the faith once delivered to the saints or the deposit of faith eph 4:5 one faith!

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

2 Thessalonians 1:8
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Christ established the sacraments as the primary means of grace!

Sacramental life: Jn 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. Jn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Christ founded the church for the salvation of souls!
Teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation!
Matt 28:19

hope you understand
Well we may see things a little different. You say ( you never said no to scripture only to the false doctrine of the bible alone ) We all hold to a standard of faith or confession of faith. That be the standard set by the bible and not by the church. The church merely bares witnesses to that truth. The entire church be answerable to Holy Writ and not to the dictatorial powers of a certain elite in Christendom who claim to hold the keys of life and death over all humanity. The bible puts everyone on equal standing and on notice from the humblest street sweeper right up to kings and the highest order of hierarchy within the church. It be the bible that has the final authority in all things. You than go on to say ( how can we even know what is the bible ) well the OLD TESTAMENT was already established well enough. The NEW TESTAMENT took some longer with some debate over a number of books with revelation being established as the final cannon of scripture. Of course you have the Apocryphal books that were used all the way up into the Protestant era but were shortly removed after the first few editions of the King James Bible being seen as uninspired and not required in Holy Writ. But the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches still have within their own bibles today varying versions of the Apocrypha . I guess the answer to your question comes down to how different branches of the body of Christ view the bible and the extra biblical books. As to the faith of Susana I thought you were referring Daniel at first but no you refer to the book of Dan a extra biblical book perhaps. No i have not read of her faith.

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reasons For Confusion About The End:

1. Bible Scripture about the last days and very end of this world is a specific area that requires understanding by The Holy Spirit. Many brethren get confused just by reading... the Book of Revelation, when its symbolic writing style is very close to how God gave the prophecies through His Old Testament prophets. Revelation thus confuses those who obviously have not... studied all their Bible, particularly the OT prophets. And quite a bit of Revelation was first given throughout The New Testament writings also.

2. Lord Jesus warned us about the "hireling" in John 10 that preaches for money, and will run and let the wolves that creep in attack the sheep. And that is exactly what many of man's Christian organizational systems have allowed, the creeping in of those who preach as a business. God didn't call them. So if they get away from preaching The Gospel Message which is simple and easy to preach, then they are lost in confusion.

3. God through His servants also warned His people about the mystery of iniquity that creeps in, and causes confusion, on purpose. This is about the "tares" in Christ's parable of the tares of the field in Matthew 13. They hide. Apostle Paul warned about them also in 2 Corinthians 11, warning us to not be deceived like that old serpent deceived Eve. And Lord Jesus even commanded us to not allow any man to deceive us.

Thusly, no believer on Jesus Christ can make a valid excuse for being in confusion in God's Word. We have been warned so many times in His Word against false ones that creep in and to be careful who we listen to, so that should be very... obvious that we are to LISTEN TO OUR HEAVENLY FATHER AND HIS SON IN HIS WORD ALWAYS FIRST, even to check and verify in His Word like a good Berean that Apostle Paul commended for checking him out in the Scriptures. We have no excuse (unless one has a reading disability, etc. But even then, one can get The Bible in audio also.)

And know this, God's Word full strength, undiluted, is "strong meat". If listened to, it will turn over many modern conventions of this world which many have accepted. So it is not popular, and those who 'stay' with it as written will never be popular in this world.

You decide for yourself?

What is the spirit of Protestantism?

Protestant fundamentalism is based on pride, presumption, and arrogance!

The nature of pride always says no I will not serve, like the father of pride! Pride always protests and lives in a continuous state of rebellion!

The doctrine of demons infect those who believe them with the vices of demons, pride, presumption, and arrogance!

Jn 8:32 the truth shall make you free! So false doctrine shall hold you in bondage and make you a slave!

It causes Spiritual blindness!

Fundamentalism is darkness!

Christ is the light of the world!

Fundamentalism is extremist and a violation of the Christian virtue of moderation! Phil 4:5

Fundamentalism: faith without reason!

Fundamentalism is unbiblical: Phil 4:5 Matt 11:29

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

True Christians are humble, obedient and faithful! Thy will be done not mine!

A Christian must moderate zeal and all extremes to be virtuous!

True Christian’s cannot decide what is truth or faith or morals but a true Christian with humility accepts instruction!

We must be taught or instructed:
Lk 1:4
That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Jn 20:21
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
(Christ taught Matt 7:29, Mark 1:22)
Acts 8:31
And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me?

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Acts 4:1-2
1 And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

Acts 18:25
This man was instructed in the way of the Lord;

1 thes 4:6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

One faith! The deposit of faith once handed to the saints!

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

The Faithful! The obedient of God!

As opposed to the rebellion of spiritual anarchy!

Those who make themselves the only arbiter of truth!

They put themselves in the place of God!

God alone can reveal truth and morals! They are divine and come from God!

We must in humility be taught of God and Christ thru His church and apostles!

Jn 14:6 Jesus Christ (not you) is the way, the truth, and the life!

Jn 1:16-17 grace and truth come by Jesus Christ!

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15
matt 18:17

Christ and His church are one! acts 9:4 Acts 5:32 Jn 15:1-5

Truth is immutable! Cannot change!

Truth and the church are divine!
They come from God and cannot be in error or imperfect so they cannot change or be reformed by man to say they can is blasphemy and treason against God who revealed them!

And same truths revealed by Christ and taught by the church are always believed and taught from the beginning when Christ taught his church in person! Jude 1:3 the faith once delivered to the saints or the deposit of faith eph 4:5 one faith!

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

2 Thessalonians 1:8
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Christ established the sacraments as the primary means of grace!

Sacramental life: Jn 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. Jn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Christ founded the church for the salvation of souls!
Teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation!

now the eternal church is God’s kingdom founded by God the perfect spotless bride of Christ prepared by God from heaven!

how can there be something wrong with his bride???

How can Christ divorce his bride and marry another Protesting, church of rebellion???

The church and the truth is from God and is immutable, it cannot be reformed !!!

matt 16:18 shall not prevail
Jn 8:32 you shall know the truth
Jn 16:13 HS leads the apostles into all truth
Matt 18:17 must hear the church
Lk 10:16 hear the apostles
Jn 10:16 one church
Matt 5:14 light of the world
1 Tim 3:15 pillar of truth

The church is well ordered by God in Christ with the Holy Spirit and angels!

Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Matt 16:18-19 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Jn 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ….

I can decide for myself what is truth, faith, and morals!

That is pure PRIDE!
Pure PRESUMPTION!
Pure ARROGANCE!

true Christians are humble and have the truth from Christ and Jis church!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wash / water
Jn 3:22 they baptized
Acts 22:16 wash away
Titus 3:5 washing
Water and the spirit
Jn 3:5 ez 36:25-27

baptismal regeneration

Water...outside cleansing men CAN DO...
INSIDE CLEANSING, is by, through, of Christ, CLEANSING with The BLOOD of Jesus.....CLEANSES BOTH, IN and OUT....CONVERSION.

Matt.23
[25] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
[26] Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Luke.11
[39] And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible alone is the only authority. There are sufficient warnings in both the OT and NT for adding to, taking away from, or disobeying the commands of God.

There were no and are no successors to Peter since he was simply one of the 12 with no more or less authority than the others possessed.

The only confusion is that which is caused by or created by man due to lack of scriptural understanding, predetermined ideas, or other biases. The scriptures are clear, not conflicting, nor in opposition in any way with other scriptures.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The bible alone is the only authority.

"Bible alone" theology presupposes the Magisterium and Tradition are secondary authorities regarding sound teaching, or played down to unbiblical levels. The challenge is to demonstrate, using "Bible alone" that this has always been the case. I say it can't be done. The BIBLICAL rule of faith is Scripture + Tradition + Magisterium, all working in harmony. Otherwise, you wouldn't have a Bible in the first place. And Scripture itself is far more Tradition than the sola scripturists is willing to admit.
There are sufficient warnings in both the OT and NT for adding to, taking away from, or disobeying the commands of God.
Tell that to Martin Luther who added the word "alone" to his German translation of Romans 3:28. He added to the Bible to bolster his politics.
There were no and are no successors to Peter since he was simply one of the 12 with no more or less authority than the others possessed.
Scripture and the facts of history don't agree with you. Re-writing early church history to make it fit your presuppositions is a dishonest approach. Try using primary and secondary sources that support your outrageous denials.
The only confusion is that which is caused by or created by man due to lack of scriptural understanding, predetermined ideas, or other biases. The scriptures are clear, not conflicting, nor in opposition in any way with other scriptures.
If Scripture is so clear, why are sola scripturists so sadly divided into 5 major camps over Baptism? They can't even agree whether or not its essential. The "clearness of scripture" theory collapses in a heap.

Last edited: