“Can any good thing come from Nazareth?”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote from google: Reported in all four Gospels and Acts, Jesus is hailed as coming from Nazareth, but this connection is not something to be bragged about. ... Therefore, one can appreciate the jaded words of Nathanael in John 1:46: “Can any good thing come from Nazareth?”

Was thinking about this “can any thing good come from Nazareth?” In relation to a passage in Job. First, John 1:45-46 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. [46] And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

Job 14:1-9 Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. [2] He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not. [3] And dost thou open thine eyes upon such an one, and bringest me into judgment with thee? [4] Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one. [5] Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass; [6] Turn from him, that he may rest, till he shall accomplish, as an hireling, his day. [7] For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. [8] Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, (Luke 12:33), and the stock thereof die in the ground; [9] Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

“And the stock thereof die in the ground” ...(John 12:24) through the scent of water (Living water) it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

The Meaning of Nazareth. ... Nazareth May come from the Hebrew netzer, which means “branch” or “shoot.” Sometimes when a tree is chopped down, a shoot will grow from the stump, allowing a new tree to spring up where the old one has died. That shoot is called, in Hebrew, a netzer.

Elihoenai

Mar 2, 2020
London, England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Acts 24:5 King James Version (KJV)

5 For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes:

During the accusation of Paul, he was identified as Ringleader of the sect of Nazarenes (of Nazareth). Apparently, a Nazarene is filthy and corrupt and Nazarene means Christian. Are you filthy and corrupt? If you are not filthy and corrupt, does that mean you are not a Christian?

Nazarene

"...Nazarene (title), a title applied to Jesus Christ in reference to his home city of Nazareth, the title is used to designate Christians in Jewish, Muslim and Druze traditions..."

Nazarene - Wikipedia

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are not filthy and corrupt, does that mean you are not a Christian?
If the world loves you, it does mean that, yes.
The world loves its own,
and hates Jesus and those who follow Jesus.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the world loves you, it does mean that, yes.
The world loves its own,
and hates Jesus and those who follow Jesus.

Acts 22:7-8 And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? [8] And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.

“Saul, Saul, why persecute you Me?”
Galatians 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

What does that reveal of Saul as to why?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus is hailed as coming from Nazareth, but this connection is not something to be bragged about. ...
And that was the WHOLE POINT. Jesus -- the Lord God Almighty -- humbled Himself to the point that He came from a despised region, and His apostles were also from that despised region. He Himself was despised and rejected of men at His first coming. He was born in a manger and He Himself washed His disciples dust-covered feet. We cannot even imagine the humility and the humiliation of the Lord of Glory.

However, at His second coming He will come "with power and great glory" accompanied by *clouds* of all His saints and angels. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, (Luke 12:33), and the stock thereof die in the ground; [9] Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

“Though the root thereof wax old (passes away)in the earth, and the stock thereof die...it will through the scent of water will bud after death. How is that possible?

Job 14:9-12 Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant. [10] But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? [11] As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up: (The Living water fails not) (Isaiah 41:17) So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

Ephesians 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

“But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?” If he commits his spirit to the Lord? (1 Peter 2:23) (Luke 23:46)

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and you hear the sound of it, but can not tell where it comes, and where it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Are you filthy and corrupt? If you are not filthy and corrupt, does that mean you are not a Christian?

Not saying that. John 16:21-22 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. [22] And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

Revelation 7:13-14 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and where came they? [14] And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, (delivered out from anguish) and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote from google: Reported in all four Gospels and Acts, Jesus is hailed as coming from Nazareth, but this connection is not something to be bragged about. ... Therefore, one can appreciate the jaded words of Nathanael in John 1:46: “Can any good thing come from Nazareth?”

Was thinking about this “can any thing good come from Nazareth?” In relation to a passage in Job. First, John 1:45-46 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. [46] And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

Job 14:1-9 Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. [2] He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not. [3] And dost thou open thine eyes upon such an one, and bringest me into judgment with thee? [4] Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one. [5] Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass; [6] Turn from him, that he may rest, till he shall accomplish, as an hireling, his day. [7] For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. [8] Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, (Luke 12:33), and the stock thereof die in the ground; [9] Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

“And the stock thereof die in the ground” ...(John 12:24) through the scent of water (Living water) it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

The Meaning of Nazareth. ... Nazareth May come from the Hebrew netzer, which means “branch” or “shoot.” Sometimes when a tree is chopped down, a shoot will grow from the stump, allowing a new tree to spring up where the old one has died. That shoot is called, in Hebrew, a netzer.

Can any good thing come from pain and anguish or tribulation...even great tribulation? that the trial of your faith being precious, more precious than gold which perishes... not to get lost in all the above but hopeful and strengthened in Romans 8:26-28 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. [27] And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. [28] And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

2 Corinthians 4:7-10 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. [8] We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; [9] Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; [10] Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.