“I lost my faith at Bible college”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone who attends a Bible college does so in order to become a minister.

I became a minister but that’s not why I went to Bible college. Before I enrolled, I made certain that the college administration knew and understood what my intentions were. They understood and cashed the checks. Helped keep the doors open.
And to share something to me incredible. The Apostle Paul had no training at all in ministry. But after three days and having Ananias pray for him...

And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. - Acts 9:20

I would say the Word of God was placed in his heart as a flaming sword.

Reactions: Matthias

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I became a minister but that’s not why I went to Bible college. Before I enrolled, I made certain that the college administration knew and understood what my intentions were. They understood and cashed the checks. Helped keep the doors open.
What is the name of the bible college you attended?

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bias exists.

Some things taught may not be true, and some simply can’t handle that possibility.
There is room within Christianity for all perspectives on Genesis, from "God-inspired myth that teaches profound spiritual truth" to "literal spiritual, historical, scientific reality." If someone loses their faith upon encountering a different perspective on Genesis, then it was a shallow and brittle faith to start with. Ministries such as those in the original post actually do more of a disservice to Christianity than do those they criticize, by insisting upon the fiction that there is only one way for a "real Christian" to read and understand Genesis and the Bible as a whole. I am always amused by how those who promote the narrowest and most dogmatic "my way or the highway" understanding of Christianity never consider for a moment that THEY may be the false teachers Jesus warned against. They do strike me as uncannily like modern Pharisees.

Reactions: Mr E

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I didn't either. I wanted to learn how to study scriptures and how to learn what God has said.
I was getting confusing and conflicting information from preachers and teachers - and everyone of them did not like being questioned. So, I went to school myself.
My ordination into ministry didn't even come up until I received my training, so I accepted it and formed my own company that focused on evangelism. I did that because it is difficult to find folks who will take seriously anyone who doesn't have backup documents.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to share something to me incredible. The Apostle Paul had no training at all in ministry. But after three days and having Ananias pray for him...

And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. - Acts 9:20

I would say the Word of God was placed in his heart as a flaming sword.
Paul said that when Christ called him, he did not go to Jerusalem to receive instruction from the apostles. Rather, he retired into Arabia for a time and not until three years later did he go to Jerusalem. Even then, the only apostle he met was Peter, and the only other leader he met was James, the presiding elder of the Jerusalem church. It has often been remarked that Paul clearly implied that he spent three years being taught by Jesus Himself (1:12), either directly or (perhaps more likely) through the study of the Word. Thus, like the other apostles, Paul studied with Christ for three years before beginning his ministry (compare Acts 1:21).

Thus, Paul established for the Galatians that he received the Gospel by the same means as the other apostles —directly from Jesus. Fourteen years after his conversion, he had occasion to go to Jerusalem and there he met privately with the leaders, including the apostles Peter and John (2:1–10). He reports to the Galatians that they compared notes and found that there was absolutely no difference between what he had been teaching for eleven years in Antioch and what the apostles had been teaching in Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria. There never had been a problem, nor was there one currently, between Paul's message and the teaching of the Jerusalem church.

The point Paul is making to the Galatians is that there has never been any question about the content of the Gospel. The same Christ taught Peter and Paul, and both men were in complete agreement.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why are some losing their faith when they attend Bible college?

It might have something to do with the concentration of Christians there.

Kind of like when a lot of people lose interest in Christianity when they meet someone who professes to be one.

Reactions: Spyder

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mixing the biblical worldview (creationism) with an atheist worldview (evolution) was the takeaway for me.

Me too, until the day I realized that we are evolving spiritually. At least, we should be.

We're not humans on a spiritual journey. We are Spiritual Beings on a Human Journey.

...and it's almost over!

Reactions: Spyder

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Is the purpose of a Bible college to teach students how to think or what to think?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.- Galatians 1

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the purpose of a Bible college to teach students how to think or what to think?
A bible college devotes a lot of time to convincing the student to accept the doctrines of the college - with the proof-texts to go along with them. That is why there are denominational Bible Colleges.
People think that they are qualified to be preachers and teachers when they complete the two-year curriculum as if they know "all truth." And THAT is the beginning of man's failure to depend on God to teach.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
A bible college devotes a lot of time to convincing the student to accept the doctrines of the college - with the proof-texts to go along with them. That is why there are denominational Bible Colleges.
People think that they are qualified to be preachers and teachers when they complete the two-year curriculum as if they know "all truth." And THAT is the beginning of man's failure to depend on God to teach.

The one I graduated from offered a one-year program, a two-year program and a four-year program. (I went through the four-year program and obtained a BTh. However, the college accepted 60 hours of transfer credit from the university where decades earlier I had earned a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, so I wound up only having to take 60 hours of credit from the Bible college.) It had a a denominational track and a non-denominational track. (I went through the denominational track.) My theology professors were denominational and non-denominational, trinitarian and non-trinitarian.

Students at this college were not required to accept the doctrines of the college. (As it happens, I did. The majority of the students didn’t.)

Reactions: APAK and Spyder

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas Aquinas taught that a mans chief ethical duty is to love God. If a man loves God he will study the matters of the Christian way just out of the love of it all.

Reactions: Spyder and Matthias

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one I graduated from offered a one-year program, a two-year program and a four-year program. (I went through the four-year program and obtained a BTh. However, the college accepted 60 hours of transfer credit from the university where decades earlier I had earned a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, so I wound up only having to take 60 hours of credit from the Bible college.) It had a a denominational track and a non-denominational track. (I went through the denominational track.) My theology professors were denominational and non-denominational, trinitarian and non-trinitarian.

Students at this college were not required to accept the doctrines of the college. (As it happens, I did. The majority of the students didn’t.)
That is great that your university permitted independent thinking. It is all-so-easy to become part of group-think (think assimilation of the Borg here). I was in a group like that for a long time. Then, I learned instead to listen to that small voice inside of me which put convictions in my heart instead of just ideas.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And there’s the rub.

Too many Colleges think it’s their job to ingrain not only what kind of thinking is acceptable and what is not, but in the case of Christian Colleges they insist on what one must believe.

You find the same problem on steroids in seminaries, in churches and right here in this forum.

Reactions: APAK

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
And there’s the rub.

Yes.

... in the case of Christian Colleges they insist on what one must believe.

I attended a Christian college that didn’t. Some will applaud and some will deplore such a college. I do both.

You find the same problem on steroids in seminaries, in churches and right here in this forum.

Join us again tomorrow for another exciting episode:

Unity and diversity in Christianity.

or

Christianity is a mess. Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

Meanwhile, the parable of the wheat and the tares.

Reactions: Spyder and APAK

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostle Paul had no training at all in ministry.
Uh... not true. Before he was Paul...

Saul was personally discipled by Gamaliel, who was considered the greatest Rabbi of his day, and one of the greatest ever within Judaism. At the time of his conversion, he was on his way to Damascus with a writ of authority from the High Priest. Paul was highly educated and very involved in ministry prior to being converted.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

I attended a Christian college that didn’t. Some will applaud and some will deplore such a college. I do both.

Join us again tomorrow for another exciting episode:

Unity and diversity in Christianity.

or

Christianity is a mess. Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

Meanwhile, the parable of the wheat and the tares.

College should be a place where questions are asked and where the people in charge are the ones asking them, not to test a student's ability to answer these questions, but because the teachers have these same questions.

Then solutions and answers should be honestly sought by teacher and student alike-- without prejudice and bias, without forgone conclusions and stipulations regarding how the questions must be approached and investigated.

We need honest institutions. --and honest inquiry.