“I lost my faith at Bible college”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“‘I lost my faith at Bible college.’ It’s hard to imagine what could be sadder than hearing that, but it’s an increasingly common reality. It is an inevitable result of the increasing compromise with the world’s thinking in areas of science and origins in particular. And this phenomenon is accelerating at an alarming rate.”

Crisis in the colleges

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The one minute video clip in the OP is an excerpt from a forty-six minute interview. I found the interview interesting and worth the time to watch. I’m providing a link to the interview for those who are or may be interested.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
After listening to the video, I came to the conclusion that there was no acceptance, by both of the men appearing in the video, that, when people turn away from God, the primary sin for all of us, we become a candidate to experience the second death at the time of our judgement unless we have repented and turned once again unto our Lord and creator.

In the video they talked about the horrors of the 9/11 event of the three frog like spirits that did signs and wonders for all of the earth to see, they were not able to comprehend that this event was prophesied in the Book of Revelation in the Sixth Bowl judgement and that the three frog like spirits actual came from the mouths of Satan, the beast and the False Prophet, yet God allowed this event to occur so that the kings of the earth would be drawn to be gathered at the place called Armageddon to be judged because of their supporting actions, against God to trample His Sanctuary and His earthly host, of the Little Horn.

Unless we can link the beginning and end of the Bible together within God's grace to provide a means for all of mankind to be saved, i.e removed from being a candidate of the Second Death, then we miss the beauty of His redemption purposes for our lives.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Mixing the biblical worldview (creationism) with an atheist worldview (evolution) was the takeaway for me.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, my big takeaways of the video and its contents 3 sets of opposing and contrasting views.

Hope and selflessness vs hopelessness and selfishness. Well 4 sets then....

....The temporary current life and the future hope of eternal life in God perspective vs the permanent terminal deadhead evolutionary life of today perspective

....The acknowledgement of the real global sin problem in this world and the need to repent vs God knows I'm a good person and not really a sinner comparatively speaking and have no need to really worry. I'm ok, and you are ok. God understand me.

....Sin is of Adam and God is loving to rescue us form it today perspective vs God caused or created sin and all the problems and hard aches in my life, and in the world and he is not a fair and loving God view

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So why are some losing their faith when they attend Bible college?

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not having been in one or experienced the environment I can only speculate...
1. These schools are not designed to grow a Christian individual to maturity, they are there to teach and instill within them the mainstream teaching curriculum of knowledge for a particular brand of Christian religion. To teach how to do sermons, to deal with people in their congregation, To teach the extensive history of religion. To teach the languages used in scripture. To compare their teachings with other religions etc. To teach the MS version of scripture, including the Trinity as orthodox and MS.
2. These modern teachers are more secular religious and not necessarily truly 'Christian.'
3. The pupils are from a mixed background that bring in many secular ideas that sometimes clearly conflicts with scripture and the Christian lifestyle. This distraction can weaken a Christian, - spiritual life or walk. It can cause a Christian to consider the validity of a particular secular view of scripture or a made-made construct and even who is God himself.

All these points help to contribute in weaking ones previous string faithful spiritual walk to falter, and lean over the fence into the world of dead spirits with a serious hit on their faith.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why are some losing their faith when they attend Bible college?
It is a little difficult to follow the logic, but apparently they lose their faith when confronted with the notion that Genesis is not a literal historical and scientific account and the earth is older than 6000 years: Crisis in the colleges.

Why this would cause anyone to lose their faith isn't clear to me.

When I was a newbie with Campus Crusade 50 years ago, one of the staff members whom I genuinely liked was the first person I ever heard express the young earth perspective. I was flabbergasted then, as now, that anyone could actually believe this, but it had no effect on my faith or my view of him as a wonderful Christian.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hold on, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Now, regarding organic changes, / adaptation / evolution / mutation, let’s reason on what the Bible really says….
What does Genesis 1:29 and 30 tell us about “all green plants”?

Now the question: can humans and animals eat “all green plants” today?

No, we can’t. (I ain’t about to try poison ivy! Lol.) Even in the author’s day — Moses’ day — I’m sure there were some plants people back then couldn’t eat.

So some adaptation has occurred & does… the problem arises when we say that evolutionary mechanisms have formed everything! That’s just flat-out inaccurate!

If anyone would like to discuss this… in a spirit of mildness… I’m willing.

We can also discuss the Creative Days in the same mild manner, if anyone chooses.

By the way, I support the Bible, completely. I’ve been studying it for over 40 years, with the aid of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and where it seems to conflict with science, it isn’t with discovered science; but rather with conclusions reached by scientists.

Or it could be the opposite side of the coin: that one’s understanding of Scripture is based on the faulty interpretations of others.

Let’s discuss these things.
(Upfront though, I must tell you: I’m sorta busy so I might not be able to reply as quickly as wanted… please be patient.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Losing their faith in whom, or losing their faith in what?
It appeared to me from the article that "completely losing their Christian faith" was the suggestion. It is a common phenomenon - Bart Ehrman being a high-profile example - that those who hold an extremely rigid (and IMO, unrealistic) position on inerrancy are prone to swinging directly from "it's all 1000% true and correct in every possible way" to "if it isn't 1000% true in correct in every possible way, then IT ISN'T TRUE AT ALL" when their rigid beliefs bump up against established science and history. This segment of Christianity seems to believe that your position on Genesis pretty well defines whether or not you're a Christian.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach... - Romans 10:8

If the word is not in the heart the man does not belong in ministry anyway.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it have to be that way, all or nothing?
Of course not. But to a rigid, all-or-nothing inerrantist it has to be. We can read Genesis "seriously" with regarding it as an inerrant scientific treatise, at least IMO.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My first two years of college, I was taught only how to repeat what I was told and had proof-texts provided to me. I did very well in that college. I make a good parrot.

The second two years, though, was totally different. There I learned subjects like the Early Church, Bible History, and Hermeneutic principles. My exams were to provide my written results of assigned topics. (I was in a Scriptural Studies degree program.)

I think, if we don't allow the latitude to understand that man has tinkered with our translations, we will get very frustrated. That means that I use many translations and principles of study. In the end however, I still rely on God for results, because I can fail to "get it" when I rely on myself. By myself, I may choose to let man teach me - which would be a disaster. Perhaps that is how students in Bible Collage lose their faith?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I was an older student. We had professors who were theologically conservative and theologically liberal. That didn’t throw me but it took a toll on several of my younger classmates. When confronted with ideas and information which forced them to think for themselves, they fell apart.

Reactions: Spyder

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please follow this scripture closely...

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach... - Romans 10:8

1. The Word is in thy mouth
2. The Word is in thy heart

When a minister gets up to speak...

1. What comes out of his mouth touches the ears
2. What comes out of his heart touches the heart

Almost like two voices...

1. The Ears - Listens to and makes intellectual judgements as the Word is spoken
2. The Heart - Experiences the Word as it is spoken

I have sat and listened to ministers well educated in Cemetery (Oops! I meant Seminary).

1. One minister can touch the heart and get a response
2. The other minister gets no response

All under the same doctrinal training! If the Word is not in the heart a man needs to explore other vocations in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Please follow this scripture closely...

1. The Word is in thy mouth
2. The Word is in thy heart

When a minister gets up to speak...

1. What comes out of his mouth touches the ears
2. What comes out of his heart touches the heart

Almost like two voices...

1. The Ears - Listens to and makes intellectual judgements as the Word is spoken
2. The Heart - Experiences the Word as it is spoken

I have sat and listened to ministers well educated in Cemetery (Oops! I meant Seminary).

1. One minister can touch the heart and get a response
2. The other minister gets no response

All under the same doctrinal training! If the Word is not in the heart a man needs to explore other vocations in life.

Not everyone who attends a Bible college does so in order to become a minister.

I became a minister but that’s not why I went to Bible college. Before I enrolled, I made certain that the college administration knew and understood what my intentions were. They understood and cashed the checks. Helped keep the doors open.