“The Law of the Spirit of Life”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Conversely, you may love, yet not obey.
J.
No, that doesn't make sense. What you describe isn't love.

If I love you, I'll do what is good for you. I won't hurt you, I'll help you, nurture you, encourage you. I'll be patient with you, and faithful to you, and faithful to the Lord for your sake. I'll support you in whatever way I can, and give you the best I have.

If I love you.

And in doing so, I'll not only keep the righteous requirement of the Law, but I'll surpass that requirement without giving a single thought to Law. If I love you.

Christian love.

If I love God I'll honor Him, and serve Him, and sacrifice for Him. It will all be from love, as He speaks in my heart, without a thought towards Law. And yet all will again be fulfilled, as we commune together in love.

If you think you have a Love but it's not like what the Bible describes, it's not Christian love. And what we need to do in that case is not try to learn a bunch of Laws to start keeping. We need to start loving as Jesus loves.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 31:12-18
And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: "Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed."" And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

Mark 2:27
And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Genesis 2:2-4
And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made. This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Exodus 20:8-11
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Ezekiel 20:11-13
And I gave them My statutes and showed them My judgments, 'which, if a man does, he shall live by them.' Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them. Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, 'which, if a man does, he shall live by them'; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Deuteronomy 5:14-15
but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.

Ezekiel 20:16
because they despised My judgments and did not walk in My statutes, but profaned My Sabbaths; for their heart went after their idols.

Ezekiel 20:18-21
"But I said to their children in the wilderness, 'Do not walk in the statutes of your fathers, nor observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols. I am the LORD your God: Walk in My statutes, keep My judgments, and do them; hallow My Sabbaths, and they will be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the LORD your God.' "Notwithstanding, the children rebelled against Me; they did not walk in My statutes, and were not careful to observe My judgments, 'which, if a man does, he shall live by them'; but they profaned My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them and fulfill My anger against them in the wilderness.

Leviticus 23:3
'Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Deuteronomy 5:12
"Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you.

Isaiah 58:13-14
"If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the LORD honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,
Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the LORD has spoken."

Ezekiel 20:24
because they had not executed My judgments, but had despised My statutes, profaned My Sabbaths, and their eyes were fixed on their fathers' idols.

One question.
Did Christ observed Sabbath? Or did He and His disciples WORK on the Sabbath?
Are you promoting keeping the Sabbath?

Much love!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If I love you, I'll do what is good for you. I won't hurt you, I'll help you, nurture you, encourage you. I'll be patient with you, and faithful to you, and faithful to the Lord for your sake. I'll support you in whatever way I can, and give you the best I have.

If I love you.

And in doing so, I'll not only keep the righteous requirement of the Law, but I'll surpass that requirement without giving a single thought to Law. If I love you.

Christian love.

If I love God I'll honor Him, and serve Him, and sacrifice for Him. It will all be from love, as He speaks in my heart, without a thought towards Law. And yet all will again be fulfilled, as we commune together in love.

If you think you have a Love but it's not like what the Bible describes, it's not Christian love. And what we need to do in that case is not try to learn a bunch of Laws to start keeping. We need to start loving as Jesus loves.

Much love!
GREAT POST!!!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

If I love you.

Christian love.

Much love!
Talking about love for our Father, the Lord Christ Jesus and the love of obeying his commandments.
Pro_3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:

Pro_4:4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.

Pro_7:1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.

Pro_7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.

Dan_9:4 And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;

Joh_14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
1Jn_2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn_2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn_3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn_3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1Jn_5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1Jn_5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jn_1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Rev_12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev_14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev_22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

To me it is not agapao in words, but in deeds, the outward expression of the inner disposition/man in Christ.
There should be no conditional clauses or Subjunctives.

Matt 25 says it all
1Cor. 13

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We should be examingourselves and heeding the guidance of the Holy Spirit constantly.
Do you agapao the Lord God, or do you phileo Him.
Do you agapao the brethren, even your enemies, or do you phileo them.
Is love active, or passive?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

If I love you.

Christian love.

Much love!

Jas 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

Jas 2:15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food,

Jas 2:16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?

Here we may notice, there is a certain sense of love, but no obedience.........

Jas 2:17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Jas 2:18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

Jas 2:19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

Jas 2:20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?

Jas 2:22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;

Jas 2:23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God.

Jas 2:24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Jas 2:25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?

Jas 2:26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

Matthew 25.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what I'm saying. If you love, you do what God wants. If you don't love, it's only going through the motions as if that would substitute for love.

We have two commandments, trust Jesus, and love others.

Much love!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

If I love you.

Christian love.

Much love!
Conversely, you may love, yet not obey, makes perfect sense to me.

Joh_21:15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me [ agapao]more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love [phileo] you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”

Joh_21:16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love [agapao] me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love[phileo] you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”

Joh_21:17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love[phileo] me?”

Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?”[phileo] and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love[phileo] you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.

Interesting scenario Marks.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Conversely, you may love, yet not obey, makes perfect sense to me.

Joh_21:15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me [ agapao]more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love [phileo] you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”

Joh_21:16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love [agapao] me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love[phileo] you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”

Joh_21:17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love[phileo] me?”

Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?”[phileo] and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love[phileo] you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.

Interesting scenario Marks.
That's why I'm specifying "Christian Love", that is, Agapeo.

But the best way to express this is,

A new command I give you, that you love as I have loved you. Love as Jesus loves.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
That's why I'm specifying "Christian Love", that is, Agapeo.

But the best way to express this is,

A new command I give you, that you love as I have loved you. Love as Jesus loves.

Much love!
....and obey Jesus as He was obedient to His Father's will....

Gal_3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Gal_5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

Eph_6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Col_3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

Col_3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:

2Th_1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

2Th_3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

Tit_3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,

Heb_5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Heb_13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that
is unprofitable for you.

Jas_3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.

1Pe_3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

1Pe_4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Shalom
J.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....and obey Jesus as He was obedient to His Father's will....

Gal_3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Gal_5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

Eph_6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Col_3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

Col_3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:

2Th_1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

2Th_3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

Tit_3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,

Heb_5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Heb_13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that
is unprofitable for you.

Jas_3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.

1Pe_3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

1Pe_4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Shalom
J.
Which of these is not covered in, Love as Jesus loves?

Jesus' Imperative: IF they demand you carry the load 1 mile, carry it 2. What law demands you carry it 3? or 1000? Only the Law of Love.

Much love!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Which of these is not covered in, Love as Jesus loves?

Jesus' Imperative: IF they demand you carry the load 1 mile, carry it 2. What law demands you carry it 3? or 1000? Only the Law of Love.

Much love!
.....Note, then, that Paul does not merely point to Jesus Christ as Saviour, but to His death as the saving power. We are to have faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 3:22). But that is not a complete statement.

It must be faith in His propitiation, if it is to bring us into living contact with His redemption. A gospel which says much of Christ, but little of His Cross, or which dilates on the beauty of His life, but stammers when it begins to speak of the sacrifice in His death, is not Paul’s Gospel, and it will have little power to deal with the universal sickness of sin.

The last verses of the passage set forth another purpose attained by Christ’s sacrifice; namely, the vindication of God’s righteousness in forbearing to inflict punishment on sins committed before the advent of Jesus.

That Cross rayed out its power in all directions to the heights of the heavens; to the depths of Hades (Col 1:20); to the ages that were to come, and to those that were past. The suspension of punishment through all generations, from the beginning till that day when the Cross was reared on Calvary, was due to that Cross having been present to the divine mind from the beginning.

‘The judge is condemned when the guilty is acquitted,’ or left unpunished. There would be a blot on God’s government, not because it was so severe, but because it was so forbearing, unless His justice was vindicated, and the fatal consequences of sin shown in the sacrifice of Christ. God could not have shown Himself just, in view either of age-long forbearance, or of now justifying the sinner, unless the Cross had shown that He was not immorally indulgent toward sin.

Always something to learn, for me, at least.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you agapao the Lord God, or do you phileo Him.
Do you agapao the brethren, even your enemies, or do you phileo them.
I agapao the Lord God and people.

Love can be both active and passive.

Reactions: marks