1 John 3:9 - Is it cannot "practice" sin, or cannot "commit" sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many choose practice over commit in connection with 1 John 1:4 and 9

• Cannot "practice" sin

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Cannot "commit sin

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dhh712 said:
I understand BH to be upholding that which William Law wrote on, who also believed in sinless perfection. Such teachings, contrary of course to God's revelation of Himself,

@dhh712

To check out the verses on Sinless Perfection, see my write up here:

You said:
has caused many Christians to despair in thinking that something can separate us from God's love (which is also a verse in Scripture that apparently he does not know).

Actually, I am very familiar with the Romans 8:35-39 excuse. I have been familiar with the use of this passage in the wrong way by those who believe as you do for a very long time. So you are incorrect in your assumption, my friend.

There are two things that are not listed in this passage of the things that cannot separate us from the love of Christ.

#1. You, and:
#2. Your sin.​

In fact, just skip back up to Romans 8:13. It says if you live after the flesh (sin), you will die.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@dhh712

You said, I quote:

“...we can sin all we want.”
Quote by dhh712.

This is false!

Be not deceived.
Do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God?

9 “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

A man named George Sodini murdered a bunch of people, and then took his own life thinking he was saved by a belief alone in Jesus. Even one of his own church elders said he was still saved despite what he did.

See this article here:

And this one here...

So what you believe is no different than George Sodini?
You believe you can do the same thing and be saved?
If so... then wow. You serve another Jesus not found in the Bible.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GodsGrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@dhh712

You said, I quote:

“...we can sin all we want.”
Quote by dhh712.

This is false!
Oh my gosh! I can assure you, she did NOT say that. And since you have done this in such a way that you haven’t allowed us to click and go to the post you are referring to so we can see it in her intended context, you have done a seriously sleazy thing here. My gosh what is wrong with you…?

Edit: This was an awful post for which I’ve apologized on the next page. I don’t delete my mistakes. Maybe someone will learn what not to do from my bad example.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my gosh! I can assure you, she did NOT say that. And since you have done this in such a way that you haven’t allowed us to click and go to the post you are referring to so we can see it in her intended context, you have done a seriously sleazy thing here. My gosh what is wrong with you…?
Proof? I highlighted her own words here in her post.

17CF31D2-19E6-41A4-BD87-F88F205F9FCA.png

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s more difficult to quote a post # now with this new update on the forum. Hence, why I quoted it In the way I did.

But it’s post #292.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I love your heart!

A kid from our church (well, mid-thirties is not really a "kid" anymore) runs a half-way house for addicts. God gave him a heart for these people. It's a tough job and requires a certain set of gifts which I don't have. He has a calling. I don't know what my calling really is (if I indeed have one), but I know that's not it. I'd get eaten alive.

I don't know. There's general compassion for lost and hurting people, and then there's ... certain people and situations that compel me. I don't know how else to explain it.

(Though in thinking about it, the young man with the half-way house might be a good resource for me if the situation comes up again.)
Hi Lambano,
I love your heart as well.
You know, God gave to each of us a measure of faith.
This means that He gave us enough faith to do what He called us to do.
It could be anything. It could be doing your job well, or being a good mother or father. Anything.
The man from your church (maybe a kid to us? lol) has an important calling to help those in need.
God bless him for it.
Instead of judging, we should help our fellow man - if that's possible.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Lambano,
I love your heart as well.
You know, God gave to each of us a measure of faith.
This means that He gave us enough faith to do what He called us to do.
It could be anything. It could be doing your job well, or being a good mother or father. Anything.
The man from your church (maybe a kid to us? lol) has an important calling to help those in need.
God bless him for it.
Instead of judging, we should help our fellow man - if that's possible.
So why did Jesus give the disciples the great commission to keep all that He commanded?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let people work out with God all that they are working out without pouncing on them so horribly!
im sorry but I have to skip over your posts from now on. I’ll check back in in a few months to see if there's been a change but right now, there’s nothing of edification there.

Edit: This post stinks. I’ve made apology on the next page.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You have a fanciful imagination. I highlighted her own words here in her post.

View attachment 26989
It is a problem in Christianity that some feel they can make such statements.
I don't know where this idea comes from...but it is NOT biblical.

I didn't read all of the above, but my belief is that any such statement can damage the walk of a person.
Charles Stanley believes the above. He says it quite plainly.

These persons are leading many the wrong way since John tells us that nothing unclean will enter into heaven.

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So why did Jesus give the disciples the great commission to keep all that He commanded?
I don't know what one thing has to do with another.
Jesus helped person both physically and spiritually.
I do believe we're to do the same.

If you're writing regarding judging, then all I'll say is that we can judge a person,
but we cannot judge their soul or spiritual state.

In a more secular understanding, I'd say that instead of judging a person and heaping insults at them,
we should do what Jesus did and TRY to help them instead. This is not always possible.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Jesus said to “sin no more” to two people (John 5:14) (John 8:11).
Are you saying that our LORD is in error?
Yes sir. Jesus did do that.
And I'd rather read what you write than some that write we can sin and still be saved.
But what I asked had a different purpose.
The purpose was to bring up the question of whether or not we have the ABILITY to never sin again.
By sin I don't mean the practice of sin as in 1 John 3:9
but a sin as in 1 John 1:8-9

In fact, how would you reconcile that scripture?
They seem to be opposed to each other, and what Jesus told those two persons.

Do you believe Jesus thought it would be possible for them never to sin again?
Could he have meant a particular sin?
Just asking.

Reactions: Nancy

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I attended different churches, I was never a part of any official church (or found a church home). Most of everything I learned was from my personal study and asking God for His Spirit to give me the understanding on His Word.

I don’t like to think I am infallible to learning God’s Word but there are things I know in His Word that I am very confident in.
Over the years, I have changed on 21 theological points.

We are alike in how we address Christianity and the Word of God.

Reactions: Nancy

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And 8;2 where it says we have been set free from the law of sin and death that Paul said he was in bondage to in chapter 7. We have been set free from the Law of sin which is as Paul stated. We can't help what we do because sin in slaves, brings us in to bondage to it.
We can't help ourselves but to sin prior to Christ. As Jesus said in John, he that commits sin is a servant to it. But Christ Jesus has set us free from the Law of Sin AND death that the righteousness of the Law be fulfilled in us who walk after the Spirit and NOT after the flesh. For if Jesus has set us free, free we are indeed!
I agree. This is a post I just wrote on another Christian forum site. Do you agree with it?

Just so you know, 1 John 1:9 is equal to Acts 2:38. They are both to make us Christians filled with the Holy Spirit.
Rachel we cannot commit major sins of lawlessness. Those are not in our nature anymore because Jesus takes away our sin. 1 John 3:4-5 regarding sins unto death.
The Holy Spirit plants the seeds of the fruit of the Spirit. Peter tells how to grow those fruit to maturity. 2 Peter 1:5-9
Sins of immature fruit are called trespasses (sins not unto death) 1 John 5:16-17. They are the type of sins in the Lord's Prayer. For trespasses to be forgiven, we must forgive one another for God to cleanse them. If we don't forgive, God won't forgive us.
Matthew 6:14-15
14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Spirit filled Christian:
Breaking one of the Ten Commandments are major sins unto death. This is what Jesus takes out of our nature, leaving us with a pure human nature of free will like Adam was created with BEFORE he sinned. What Adam didn't have was the indwelling Holy Spirit like we do. That is why he committed a sin unto death (a sin directly against God's one commandment). All we have to do is never quench the Spirit in order to stay free from sins unto death. 1 John 5:18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.
So sins unto death = zero
trespasses we have forgiven others = zero
When I learned that last bit, I always think if there is anyone I need to forgive and forgive them. As far as sins unto death, I don't have any desire to commit one.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It allows for “unpracticed” sin.

Of course sin no longer has dominion over a Biblical Christian.

He cannot sin unless he does so wilfully.

And the consequences of willful sin is the lake of fire without recourse:

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.” (Hebrews 10:26-27)

The ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED adherents cannot abide this truth because sin still has dominion over them to some degree.
Here is an example of one who is forced to live a lie ( I am above Sin) simply because they are too stiff- necked to try to understand Hebrews 10....." I no longer sin" you say?..... Lol....let me talk for 5 minutes with your husband...

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what one thing has to do with another.
Jesus helped person both physically and spiritually.
I do believe we're to do the same.

If you're writing regarding judging, then all I'll say is that we can judge a person,
but we cannot judge their soul or spiritual state.

In a more secular understanding, I'd say that instead of judging a person and heaping insults at them,
we should do what Jesus did and TRY to help them instead. This is not always possible.
I did retract my personal remark to StunnedbyGrace.
I do strive to not make it about the person but more about the wrong belief, but it can be difficult sometimes.
I don’t believe I insulted dhh712. I merely disagreed with their belief and found it to be immoral and unbiblical.
I asked questions in such a way to not insult them but to hopefully splash some cold water out of their wrong thinking. But I don’t believe I said extremely hateful words to anyone here. Nor do I have any ill will towards anyone here. My goal is to see everyone here abiding in the love of Christ (According to God’s Word). But thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will be extra careful to doublecheck what I write and to express my love for them more.

Blessings be unto you in the LORD Jesus.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir. Jesus did do that.
And I'd rather read what you write than some that write we can sin and still be saved.
But what I asked had a different purpose.
The purpose was to bring up the question of whether or not we have the ABILITY to never sin again.
By sin I don't mean the practice of sin as in 1 John 3:9
but a sin as in 1 John 1:8-9

In fact, how would you reconcile that scripture?
They seem to be opposed to each other, and what Jesus told those two persons.

Do you believe Jesus thought it would be possible for them never to sin again?
Could he have meant a particular sin?
Just asking.
What is helpful in understanding 1 John 1:8 is looking at its immediate context. 1 John 1:10 says if we say we have not sinned. 1 John 1:10 switches gears from 1 John 1:8 in regards to time; John talks about the declaration on committing sin in verse 8 (which is present tense) to a declaration on committing sin being a past declaration (with verse 10). Verse 10 is saying there are people who said they have not sinned (past tense). This is clearly a gnostic belief. Why? Well, most believers today hold to the idea that they have sinned as a part of their old life before coming to Christ (Regardless of whether they are “OSAS,” a “Sin and still be saved” type believer, or a “Conditional Salvationist”). So this clearly is a “gnostic belief” that John was warning the brethren about (See 1 John 2:26). 1 John 1:8 is a present declaration of sin. It is saying if we say we have no sin when we do sin (present tense). This has to be the interpretative understanding of this verse because 1 John 2:4 says if we say we know Him and do not keep His commandments we are a liar and the truth is not in us. The OSAS's interpretation on 1 John 1:8 does not work because it conflicts with a normal reading on 1 John 2:3-4. You cannot always be in sin (breaking God's commands) as a part of 1 John 1:8 and yet also fulfill 1 John 2:3 that says we can have an assurance of knowing Him if we keep His commandments. Especially when 1 John 2:4 says we are a liar and the truth is not in us if we break his commandments. In other words, if the OSAS interpretation on 1 John 1:8 was true, then I would be damned if I do by obeying God's commands (1 John 1:8) and yet I would be damned if I don't by not obeying God's commands (1 John 2:4).

In fact, the New English Translation says this for 1 John 1:8,

"If we say we do not bear the guilt of sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8 NET).

In other words, this verse is saying that if a person sins and says they do not bear the guilt of sin (in the sense that they will not have to face any wrath or Judgment from God over their sin) then they would be deceiving themselves and the truth would not be in them. This is exactly what the Eternal Security proposes. They are saying that they do not bear the guilt of any sin (destruction of their soul and body in hell fire) if they do sin because they believe their future sins are paid for by Jesus. They are saying, they do not bear the guilt or the punishment of sin at the final Judgment because of their belief on Jesus. In short, 1 John 1:8 is a denial of the existence of sin on some level. “If we say we have no sin (in the sense that it does not exist) we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” (1 John 1:8). Christian Scientists think sin is an illusion and does not exist at all. So this verse would apply to them. Eternal Security Proponents and those who deny that “Sin Can Separate a Believer from God” deny the existence of sin partially. They believe sin exists physically but they do not believe sin exists for them on a spiritual level because Jesus has forgiven them of all their sin by their belief on Jesus. In fact, to see just how silly the ”Sin and Still Be Salvationist’s” argument actually is for 1 John 1:8, they would have to believe that they are sinning right now at this very moment in order for such a verse to be true because 1 John 1:8 is speaking in the present tense.

John prescribes that we do not think that sin is an illusion, and we are automatically saved, but John is telling us to "sin not" and go to our advocate Jesus Christ (1 John 2:1), and confess our sins so as to be forgiven of sin and to be cleansed of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). How can you confess and be forgiven of sin if all your future sin is paid for? It makes no sense.

The “Sin and Still Be Saved Salvationist” can say that John is talking about a break of fellowship by one's sins and not a loss of salvation, but that would not be consistent with Scripture. 1 John 5:12 says he that has the Son has life, and he that does not have the Son does not have life.

Side Note:

Here are some related verses that speak to those who misinterpret 1 John 1:8 and who believe they can sin and still be saved.

Proverbs 30:20 says:
“Such is the way of an adulterous woman; she eateth, and wipeth her mouth, and saith, I have done no wickedness.”

Isaiah 5:20
“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!”

Malachi 2:17 AMP
“You have wearied the LORD with your words. But you say, “In what way have we wearied Him?” In that you say, “Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and He delights in them,” or [by asking], “Where is the God of justice?”

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proof? I highlighted her own words here in her post.

View attachment 26989

Thank you for letting us see the context from which you extracted it.
She is speaking from the point of view of righteousness. Her point was not that we can sin all we want to. She did say that, but it was not her point. She even said it’s a hard to accept truth. Her point was that He will never abandon us. That’s the main point she was trying to make. A lot of people suffer quite a bit in trying to accept and really believe He will never abandon them because they read verses concerning holiness and they seem to them to say the opposite. And they don’t find any help because no one understands because there is so much leaven it’s next to useless to teach these things. And in fact, if you do, you’ll probably be kicked out of places. I’ve met exactly one man who God has given to know these things to teach them. Never, in all my reading, in hundreds of videos, have I EVER met anyone else who knows it.

You are speaking from the point of view of holiness. A failure in holiness is one strike and you’re out. You do NOT mess with Gods holiness. Because there is NO sin IN Him. Uzzah mishandled Gods holiness. Zapped dead. Moses did not properly display Gods holiness to the people. Was not allowed to enter the promised land. Annais and Saphira. Zapped dead.
someone might run away with that and say, well then, Moses is not saved in the end but he was at the transfiguration so they should just stop that line of thought and let God judge and stay out of things that are astronomically above their pay grade. If you lose fear and humility before God, you will lose what little He has given you.

Righteousness is being led by the Spirit.
Holiness is walking IN that Spirit.

You try to take verses that concern holiness and apply those who will be judged harder because they were given more TO those who will not be judged as hard because less was given to them.
To whoever receives more, more will be required. To whoever receives less, less will be required. To whoever is given more, more is expected.
If what you end up with is, to whoever is given less, the more will be required of them, you have got it exactly backwards.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is helpful in understanding 1 John 1:8 is looking at its immediate context.
Yes, let's look at 1 John 1:8 to 1 John 2:2 as a whole.

1 John 1:8 says we cannot deny that we have (Present Active Indicative) sin in us NOW. We know from Romans 7 that Sin is a power that lies within us.

1 John 1:9 says if we confess (Present Active Subjective) our sins NOW, God is trustworthy (πιστός) to forgive our sins and cleanse us of our ἀδικίας, the forensic judgement that we are in the wrong (see Romans); our guilt. Note that the guilt is cleansed, but the power of sin within us still remains NOW.

1 John 1:10 says we cannot deny that we have have sinned in the past.

1 John 2:1 introduces John's primary reason for writing the letter: That his flock MIGHT NOT (Subjunctive, the mood of possibility) sin. (Gosh, God doesn't want us to sin. Who would have guessed?) But if anyone DOES sin (also Subjunctive), Jesus Christ is our Advocate.

1 John 2:2 states the great truth that Jesus Christ IS (Present tense) the atoning sacrifice not only for our sins, but the sins of the whole world.

Context: The flow is simple; don't read things into it that aren't there. We have the power of sin in us and we have sinned in the past. Those truths cannot be denied by first-century Gnostics or twenty-first century religious folks. We are told not to sin, but if we do sin, we may confess our sins and trust God's forgiveness and Christ's atoning sacrifice and His advocacy on our behalf. Do you see any time limits on that? I don't. Let's not deny the only reason for hope we have: God and Christ's trustworthiness. Trust!

If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is. (2 Timothy 2:13)

Last edited: