2.6 Billion Expected to be Christian by 2020, says Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Aimee Herd : Jul 22, 2013
A new study done by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary is projecting that by 2020, 2.6 billion people will be Christian, according to their research.
http://www.breakingchristiannews.com/articles/display_art.html?ID=12138

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
But how many of those will be truly saved? How many will be following Jesus instead of merely identifying with a particular religion?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Angelina said:
A new study done by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary is projecting that by 2020, 2.6 billion people will be Christian, according to their research.
What I find disturbing though is that Christianity is decreasing in Europe and North America. What religion are they going into if Christianity is declining in these continents?

The_highwayman

Jul 22, 2013
Selene said:
What I find disturbing though is that Christianity is decreasing in Europe and North America. What religion are they going into if Christianity is declining in these continents?
Selene,
We have good freinds that are missionaries and they came to visit for a few days and they are from Cameroon. They have such a burden for the lost and are excited to be in the mission field.

They stopped by to visit us on their way back to Los Angeles CA. They have been foreign missonary's to the USA for 10 years.

Why is Christianity decreasing in Europe and North America you ask?

Its deeper than the pat answers the Church in the US want to give[ I cannot speak for the churches in Europe]

I see apathetic christians acorss the US church and across all denominational lines in a state of denial about why they are seeing less salvations, less disciples, less everything when it comes to the Christians and church in general. They claim everything, but NEVER look in the mirror.

The state of the US church across ALL denominations is down because of the Church herself. I have walked into many churches and across denominations and I can state that I either cannot tell the difference between them and the world, or worse I see such a high level of spirit of religon & pharisee, that it is no wonder the lost and dying visit and never go back.

Jesus is coming back for a power filled, Glorius, uncompromising & Fearless, Bride, which is without spot or wrinkle, not a judgemental, pharisee filled, seeker friendly, powerless, ear itching, unloving, uncaring, apathetic, non-anointed, place where meetings are held between 1-3 times a week.

The church needs to rise up and be the church and it means more that just getting involved in politics, social justice, and a host of other "programs". It means every person in the church, displays, lives and has the Glory of God in them, so that the world is "drawn" to that glory.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think it is because the church is focused on promoting the honeymoon portion of a longterm marriage with Christ. It is seeker focused and alter call driven, devoid of growth. i ended up going to the catholic church because got so tired of the emotionally driven cycle of dedication-feel bad-rededication that i was hearing from the pulpit. no one can honeymoon forever, but the churches i used to attend sacrificed longterm commitment with Chist for infatuation with Christ. it felt like i was being goaded into starting my relationship with God all over again everyday. it is a crazy way to live out a marriage.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
I put as much faith into predictive computer models as I do the ones that "predicted" the global warming myth. There are 1.2 billion Catholics and around 500 million Protestants and no foreseeable prospects of a seismic jump in that number. The only religion I see with evangelistic momentum to become the dominant world religion is Islam. They are making inroads in every corner of Western civilization and erecting mosques in every major city.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The_highwayman said:
Selene,
We have good freinds that are missionaries and they came to visit for a few days and they are from Cameroon. They have such a burden for the lost and are excited to be in the mission field.

They stopped by to visit us on their way back to Los Angeles CA. They have been foreign missonary's to the USA for 10 years.

Its deeper than the pat answers the Church in the US want to give[ I cannot speak for the churches in Europe]

I see apathetic christians acorss the US church and across all denominational lines in a state of denial about why they are seeing less salvations, less disciples, less everything when it comes to the Christians and church in general. They claim everything, but NEVER look in the mirror.

The state of the US church across ALL denominations is down because of the Church herself. I have walked into many churches and across denominations and I can state that I either cannot tell the difference between them and the world, or worse I see such a high level of spirit of religon & pharisee, that it is no wonder the lost and dying visit and never go back.

Jesus is coming back for a power filled, Glorius, uncompromising & Fearless, Bride, which is without spot or wrinkle, not a judgemental, pharisee filled, seeker friendly, powerless, ear itching, unloving, uncaring, apathetic, non-anointed, place where meetings are held between 1-3 times a week.

The church needs to rise up and be the church and it means more that just getting involved in politics, social justice, and a host of other "programs". It means every person in the church, displays, lives and has the Glory of God in them, so that the world is "drawn" to that glory.
Amen brother! I agree with you on this one.... :unsure: Welcome to CyB

Blessings!!!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
The_highwayman said:
Selene,

It appears that Christianity is decreasing in Europe due to secularism. And it appears the same thing is happening in the United States for the same reason.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Europe has a long history of religious wars. It seems logical for Europeans to distrust Christianity.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The kingdom of God is inversely proportional to numbers. So I don't see what the number means. How many of these have forsaken all to follow Christ in newness of life in resurrection power? How many have just been duped into a future bitter disappointment?

I would think that the numbers of Christians is actually falling ...especially in the rich western countries. The more the numbers of converts go up, the more this proves that the truth has been again watered down.

We see this also in the multiplication of bibles. The more bibles we have...the less the text is taken seriously. It is in places where there are few bibles that the word is given that much more credibility. Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

I' not against having bibles...just against the idea that sending more and more bibles means more and more people will be following Christ. Just look at the western countries. Do people follow Christ anymore?

The_highwayman

Jul 22, 2013
Angelina said:
Amen brother! I agree with you on this one.... :unsure: Welcome to CyB

Blessings!!!
Thank you for the welcome Angelina.
Selene said:
It appears that Christianity is decreasing in Europe due to secularism. And it appears the same thing is happening in the United States for the same reason.
Selene,
I do agree tha the rise of secularism is part of the answer, but, IMHO, it is not the sole reason. The largest reason is that the lost and dying cannot see any difference between the world and the church, or worse, they see the church and Christians are worse than the world.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
many in Asia and Africa ARE not turning there noses up in the air when it comes the gospel of Jesus as a persons only savior from their
sins,. One reason the gospel is now working its wonders there is .. As the bible says there is a season for every thing .

we in the united states just like Europe before us had our season of the gospel and its calling people to faith.

now its Asia and Africa THEIR turn.
Christian Missionaries from all over the world hear about Asia and Africa ripe to hear the Gospel and many coming to faith ..

so that's where denominations are sending their missionaries.. the history of the world will most likely end before its Europe's and the United States their people who want again to hear the calling of the gospel to faith.

Their people now seem to be more into discovering the false ways and its false gods

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's get to the real issue - what are all these people going to eat for dinner?

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Angelina said:
A new study done by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon
Theological Seminary is projecting that by 2020, 2.6 billion people will be Christian, according to their research.
I feel a necessity to object to this 'study'. AndyBern began by raising an important question that needs to be seriously addressed.

How many will obtain the second birth rather than simply fill out membership cards?

The Bible says nothing about salvation being related to filling out membership cards, not in the New Testament anyway. That was the scheme in the OT(1), but after Christ offered the one perfect sacrifice upon the cross, the only requirement for salvation was a personal one - accept Christ into one's heart and life. The onus today is upon the individual to make peace with God.

Church membership does not save, neither is it an accurate reflection of the growth of the gospel. In the United States, for example, statistics are skewed so badly as to make the entire data collection process questionable. Growth in terms of actual spiritual conversion has been estimated to be as little as 1% per year, while membership figures have soared. What's going on?

In any medium or large city in America the refugee numbers are not counted. Refugees? Yup. There are a large number of Christians who are dissatisfied for one reason or another with their church and end up wandering from fellowship to fellowship. Length of stay in any particular church for members of the refugee community is two to four years. At the end of that period they move on, seeking a different style, preacher, or some intangible they cannot find. Each time they land somewhere they fill out a membership card. This little card is what muddies the statistical water.

Church membership grows in America by membership card, not spiritual conversion. In past times this may have been an accurate reflection of church growth or demise, but not today. Church records are most often kept by a third party(2). The third party organization provides address labels, those little boxes with tiny offering envelopes and financial records to church administration. The problem is that it is very difficult if not impossible for names and addresses and phone numbers to be deleted from these third party data bases. One pastor I talked to explained how difficult it is by saying they'd given up trying to remove members who had wandered elsewhere. As a result the numbers show huge church membership, while the parking lots on any given Sunday may have many good spaces open (under shady trees if you have them). Statistics are thus bent so badly as to be undependable.

Global estimates for the expansion or withering of the church are similar. Missionary groups, which are notorious in their demands to obtain money and resources, deliberately lie about their success. For example, it is often stated by such persons that the church in China is expanding rapidly. However, the church in China is and has been an underground group for decades (since the communists assumed power in 1946). How then can accurate statistics be gathered about the activities of a secret church? Nobody has answered that question satisfactorily because there isn't an answer. God knows. We don't.

I live near St. Petersburg, Florida a center for off season missionaries to base their financial activities. Most mission groups have a time period for their missionaries to spend 'in the field' and a period of time for domestic activity. It used to be 4 and 1. Four years abroad and one year in America. It has changed depending upon the group, but mostly the principle remains the same. The year at home in America is used for fund raising. I imagine the reader has been treated to a Sunday sermon by one of these itinerant missionaries from time to time. That's what they do. For the most part these people are dedicated Super Christians. The organizations they work for, however, are not.

I've personally visited Africa twice - both coasts. I am, therefore, aware that one of the problems that isn't documented in America is that about every eighteen months a plague of cholera sweeps certain areas of the continent. I've seen the dead - lying in public places with my own eyes. Medicine is available and most mission groups have stockpiles of it ready to go. One missionary in St. Petersburg confessed to me that when a plague visits Africa, his organization begins a fund raising campaign to buy medicine. That's good, right? Not really. You see the medicine is already available for distribution as soon as needed. The mission groups hold onto the medicine until they have money to replace it. Only then do they release the stock pile they had before the plague began. Meanwhile thousands of innocents die waiting for medicine that may not arrive in time to save them. In the end boys and girls its all about the money.

Most Christian organizations do not care about the soul of man. Neither do they accurately count the souls Christ has saved. They care only about selling their books, videos and about reminding us of our duty to pay the religious tax (tithing is not mentioned in the NT at all). The membership rolls are kept inaccurately and the data used to support a lie - that the church is growing. In fact, indications are that the church is shrinking dramatically, but that's a subject for another post.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

(1)
In the Old Testament, salvation depended upon being a member of the Hebrew people. God appointed a sacrificial procedure involving numerous animals at specific times of the year and for certain events (such as a new birth in the family). Guilt was removed and peace obtained from God through these sacrifices and within this membership. It was a temporary fix to the problem of sin and justification for forgiveness, but it was a covenant between God and humanity nonetheless. The new covenant, in the person of Jesus Christ and through his sacrifice for all upon the cross, made salvation to all a possibility regardless of nationality, language, or church membership. If anyone accepts Christ he or she becomes a member of the spiritual body of Christ - not subject to the rules of secular religious clubs.

(2)
Third party organizations are notorious for bleeding their data base records to those who pay large amounts of money for the priviledge. For example, during the reelection of George W. Bush, the Republican party tried to gain access to a number of these membership records for purposes of targeting election messages. Commercial banks, such as Bank of America, have often been victims (or so we are told) of identity theft of their depositor and creditor figures. If banks, which are far more secure, have problems how much more risky is it for charitable organizations? I NEVER fill out a membership card and NEVER officially join a church. I vote by wallet and express opinion to my pastor directly (instead of doing it all by proxy - elected elders who may never have direct contact with those who've elected them, they only 'administer' the real estate, not the body of Christ).

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
That question is unanswerable and only left to conjecture since God the Father sees fit not to stamp on our hands "Full Membership" or offer a secret decoder ring with every salvific experience.