3341. μετάνοια (metanoia) = Repentance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi everyone. On a Christian Forum, a user named Hopeful messaged me today, May 18 2023, inquiring about the definition I use for repentance. Repentance is not turning from sins, repentance is the recognition of sins. Because we are saved by faith alone and not by good works.
Romans 3:28 For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

Turning from sins is a good work. Of course, it’s good to turn from sins. But good works do not save us. Just like how it’s good to give money to the poor or to obey the commandments. Those good works do not save us. Biblical repentance when it comes to salvation means the recognition of our sins. We must understand that we are all sinners. This leads us to then realize our need for a saviour. Because to realize the need to be saved, we must understand what we’re being saved from.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

As the Bible says, salvation is not a result of our own human works, they are like filthy rags! Faith alone is what saves us. So, with that said, here was the reply I sent below:

Hi Hopeful my friend,

The definition of repentence means to recognize one's sins. For one to recognize their need for a saviour, who is Christ Jesus they must recognize that they have sin, thus recognizing that Jesus Christ will save them from their sin. All people will recognize this need for faith. Therefore, they will have faith alone in Christ and be saved.

Romans 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness.

We are not saved by "turning from sin". Of course, by itself, it's good to turn from sin. But that's not what saves us. Our own good works do not save us. It's faith alone in Christ, a gift that we accept. Therefore, repentance, as it's used for salvation, means that we must turn to God to have faith alone in Him.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ

Turning from sin would mean having a righteousness of our own coming from the law. But truly, none of our works are really "good" because only God is good, only His works are good! So it's impossible to be saved by turning from sin by ourself. Try as we might, but no matter how many sins we try to turn from, we will never get saved by our own works. It's only by faith alone in Christ that we are saved.

Acts 20:21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

{about} repentance

μετάνοιαν (metanoian)

Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular

Here's a good quote from Dr. Max Younce in his .pdf book “A Biblical Examination Of Baptism”

The ONLY thing that you need to repent of to be saved is whatever it is that's been keeping you from coming to Christ to be saved.

And another from Dr. Harry Ironside On Repentance

"Repentance is the sinner’s recognition of and acknowledgment of his lost estate" (Except Ye Repent, p. 11).

Because what if someone turns from sin but does not believe in Christ? Then they are not saved! Because only the blood of Christ washes away our sins, our own tainted blood does not save us my friend. None of our works are good by themselves! Only the work of God is good!

Honestly, salvation is a smple matter, as directly said in the Bible.

Acts 16:31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved

They don't mention the words repentance or baptism here, simply "believe in the Lord Jesus" and thus a person is saved. Therefore, this shows us that repentance and baptism are not good works

Turning from sins is a good work

Good works do not save us, only faith aloen in Lord Jesus

Therefore, biblical repentance is not turning from sins, it's the recognition of sins.

Being baptized by water is a good work

Good works do not save us, only faith alone in Lord Jesus

Therefore, biblical baptism is not being immersed/sprinkled/etc by water, it's the spiritual baptism when the Holy Spirit goes inside a person and spritiually washes away all of their sins.

I mention baptism and repentence both here because this verse mentiosn them

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. (KJV)

What is the remission of sins? Faith alone in Christ. Baptism is spiritual baptism for when a person who had faith alone in Christ gains the Holy Spirit. Repentance is spiritual repentance for when a person recognizes they have sins and thus recognizes their need to have faith alone in Christ.

Repentance is what leads to faith alone and baptism is what follows faith alone.

Faith alone is what saves, repentance is just the before and baptism is the after. Repentance meaning recognition of sins. And baptism meaning the Holy Spirit spritually washing away our sins.

Repentance is not turning from sins for salvation, that's a good work, it does not save us. Baptism is not physical water for salvation, that's a good work, it does not save us.

Thus, when a person believes in Lord Jesus, they are permanently saved. And therefore, all people will believe in Christ to be saved and all will gain permanent life.

Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

Hope that explains it Hopeful my friend!

Please have a good day, God bless! :D