3rd Commandment - God's Holy Name

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
(Exodus 20:7)​

7. In vain. The word thus translated means “iniquity,” “falsehood,” “vanity,” “emptiness.” To inculcate reverence is the chief purpose of the third commandment (see Ps. 111:9; Eccl. 5:1, 2), which is an appropriate sequel to the two that precede it. Those who serve none but the true God, and serve Him in spirit and in truth, will avoid any careless, irreverent, or unnecessary use of the holy name. They will not indulge in profanity. Profanity, or any careless language for that matter, not only violates the spirit of religion but indicates a lack of breeding and gentlemanliness as well.

Immodest words admit of no defence,

For want of decency is want of sense.

This commandment applies not only to words we should avoid but to the care with which we should use those that are good (see Matt. 12:34–37).

The third commandment also condemns empty ceremony and formality in worship (see 2 Tim. 3:5), and exalts worship in the true spirit of holiness (John 4:24). It shows that obedience to the letter of the law is not sufficient. None ever reverenced the name of God more strictly than did the Jews, who to this day will not utter it. As a result, no one now knows how it should be pronounced. But in their extreme devotion to the letter of the law the Jews offered God an empty honor. This false zeal did not prevent the tragic mistake of the Jewish nation 2,000 years ago (John 1:11; Acts 13:46).

The third commandment also forbids false swearing, or perjury, which has always been considered a serious moral and social offense deserving of the most severe punishment. The careless use of God’s name denotes a lack of reverence for Him. If our thinking is on a spiritually elevated plane, our words will also be elevated, and will be dictated by what is honest and sincere (Phil. 4:8).

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20:7 KJV
Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Exodus 20:7 YLT
Thou dost not take up the name of Jehovah thy God for a vain thing, for Jehovah acquitteth not him who taketh up His name for a vain thing.

You shall not take up the Name of YHWH your God in vain . . . in an empty and meaningless way. If you take up the Lord's Name, Christian, in an empty and meaningless way, God will not hold you guiltless, that is, will not impute righteousness to you.

Much love!

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thou dost not take up the name of Jehovah thy God for a vain thing, for Jehovah acquitteth not him who taketh up His name for a vain thing.

You shall not take up the Name of YHWH your God in vain . . . in an empty and meaningless way. If you take up the Lord's Name, Christian, in an empty and meaningless way, God will not hold you guiltless, that is, will not impute righteousness to you.

Much love!
In my childhood home the words "God," "Jesus," and "Christ" were almost never heard. "Lord" was used fairly often, though.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
I like Young's Literal. Hi, Mark! :)

Reactions: marks

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak.

By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

How careful then, should we be in choosing our words?

Pax et Bonum

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FOR centuries Judaism has taught that the divine name, Jehovah, is too holy to pronounce.(Psalm 83:18) Many theologians have reasoned that it is disrespectful to address the glorious Creator in such a familiar fashion or even that it constitutes a breaking of the third of the Ten Commandments, which prohibits ‘taking the Lord’s name in vain.’ (Exodus 20:7) In the third century C.E., the Mishnah declared that “he who pronounces the divine Name as it is spelled out” has “no portion in the world to come.”(Sanhedrin 10:1)

Many scholars in Christendom follow the spirit of this Jewish tradition when translating the Bible. For example, The New Oxford Annotated Bible comments in its preface: “The use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom the true God had to be distinguished, began to be discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.” Therefore, in that translation the word “LORD” is substituted for the divine name.

But do the views of such translators and theologians reflect God’s thinking? After all, God did not choose to hide his name from mankind; rather, he revealed it to them. In the Hebrew portion of the Bible, commonly called the Old Testament, God’s name, YHWH(Jehovah) appears more than 6,800 times. The Bible record shows that the first human pair, Adam and Eve, were among those who knew and used God’s name. On giving birth to her first son, Eve proclaimed: “I have produced a man with the aid of JYHWH.”(Genesis 4:1)

Centuries later, when God called Moses to lead the nation of Israel out of slavery in Egypt, Moses asked God: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they do say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?” Moses may well have wondered whether God would reveal himself by some new name. God said to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘ YHWH the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:13, 15) Clearly, the true God did not feel that his name was too holy for his people to pronounce.

In fact, God’s faithful servants of every generation have freely and respectfully pronounced God’s name. Boaz, a loyal servant of God, regularly greeted his workers in the field with the words, “YHWH be with you.” Did the workers express shock at such a greeting? No. The account relates: “In turn they would say to him: ‘YHWH bless you.’” (Ruth 2:4) Instead of viewing this greeting as an affront to God, they viewed it as a way of giving him glory and honor in their daily affairs. In this same spirit, Jesus taught his disciples to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.”(Matthew 6:9)

But someone may ask, what about the prohibition mentioned in the third of the Ten Commandments? Exodus 20:7 forcefully states: “You must not take up the name of YHWH your God in a worthless way, for YHWH will not leave the one unpunished who takes up his name in a worthless way.”

What exactly does it mean to take up God’s name “in a worthless way”? The JPS Torah Commentary, published by the Jewish Publication Society, explains that the Hebrew term rendered above as “in a worthless way” (lash·shaw’ʹ) can mean “falsely” or “for nothing, in vain.” The same reference work continues: “The ambiguities [of this Hebrew term] allow for the proscription [prohibition] of perjury by the principals in a lawsuit, swearing falsely, and the unnecessary or frivolous use of the divine Name.”

This Jewish commentary correctly highlights that ‘taking up God’s name in a worthless way’ involves using the name in an improper way. But could pronouncing God’s name when teaching others about him or when turning to our heavenly Father in prayer be rightly termed “unnecessary or frivolous”? YHWH expresses his view through the words of Psalm 91:14: “Because on me he has set his affection, I shall also provide him with escape. I shall protect him because he has come to know my name.”

The modern-English translation entitled The Five Books of Moses, by Everett Fox, breaks away from tradition. This translation uses, not the traditional “LORD,” but “YHWH” to represent God’s name “out of a desire to reflect the experience of the Hebrew reader.” Fox emphasizes: “The reader will immediately notice that the personal name of the Biblical God appears in this volume as ‘YHWH.’” He admits that the sight of God’s name may be “jarring” to the reader. But after taking the commendable step of not covering over God’s name in translation, he adds: “I would recommend the use of traditional ‘the LORD’ in reading aloud, but others may wish to follow their own custom.” However, is it just a matter of personal choice, tradition, or following one’s own custom?

No. The Bible not only encourages the proper use of God’s name but commands it! At Isaiah 12:4a, God’s people are pictured as crying out in no uncertain terms: “Give thanks to YHWH, you people! Call upon his name.” In addition, the psalmist speaks of those deserving God’s adverse judgment: “Pour out your rage upon the nations that have not known you, and upon the kingdoms that have not called upon your own name.”(Psalm 79:6; Proverbs 18:10; Zephaniah 3:9)

So although some refrain from pronouncing YHWH(Jehovah) glorious name out of a misunderstanding of the third commandment, those who truly love God seek to call upon his name. Yes, at every appropriate opportunity, they ‘make known among the peoples his dealings, making mention that his name is put on high’!(Isaiah 12:4b)

ArkansasJames

Jun 10, 2022
Wright Co. Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath is no longer a day but it is truly our LORD Jesus Christ.
In Matthew 12:1-8 Jesus even calls Himself the LORD of the Sabbath. But more importantly the three verses that prelude these 8 add even greater detail to Jesus Christ who is every Christians true REST, not a certain day.
28) Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you REST.
29) Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me, for I Am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find REST unto your souls.
30) For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30
It is finished, John 19:30
these words Jesus uttered before His death but three days later He Rose again. Jesus took away the shadow of the Sabbath Day, and open to us the Truth of the LORD of Sabbath, for and by Him, we who are the Body of Christ, consist--Colossians 2:14-17

Yes I try to honor the OT Sabbath but this is my liberty in Christ in which my conscience decides to follow Christ. I do not dare to challenge other on this issue as it is their liberty, for Paul stated: Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. Romans 14:13

Are not those who know Christ as their True REST, not much more mature then those of us, who want to follow the OT shadow of a day of Rest, over Christ the True REST much more mature? YES! The writer of Hebrews says 9) There remaineth therefore a REST, to the people of God.
10) For he that is entered into His REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His. Hebrews 2:9-10
When we accept Christ as our Redeemer we no longer try to produce good works for God, but instead we REST in His finished work on the Cross, while the Holy produces or works the fruit(s) He desires in our life. If you want to honor the OT Sabbath all good and will but do not force upon others, trying to override the liberty freely given to them from God. For Jesus Christ is the TRUESR REST/LORD of Sabbath we as believers can delight in. Let us not as Christians fall as the Jews did, who denied the True REST of God: To whom He said, This is the REST wherewith ye may cause the weary to REST; and this is the Refreshing: yet they would not hear. Isaiah 28:12

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 12:1-8 Jesus even calls Himself the LORD of the Sabbath. But more importantly the three verses that prelude these 8 add even greater detail to Jesus Christ who is every Christians true REST, not a certain day.
28) Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you REST.
29) Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me, for I Am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find REST unto your souls.
these words Jesus uttered before His death but three days later He Rose again. Jesus took away the shadow of the Sabbath Day, and open to us the Truth of the LORD of Sabbath, for and by Him, we who are the Body of Christ, consist--Colossians 2:14-17

Yes I try to honor the OT Sabbath but this is my liberty in Christ in which my conscience decides to follow Christ. I do not dare to challenge other on this issue as it is their liberty, for Paul stated: Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. Romans 14:13

Are not those who know Christ as their True REST, not much more mature then those of us, who want to follow the OT shadow of a day of Rest, over Christ the True REST much more mature? YES! The writer of Hebrews says 9) There remaineth therefore a REST, to the people of God.
10) For he that is entered into His REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His. Hebrews 2:9-10
When we accept Christ as our Redeemer we no longer try to produce good works for God, but instead we REST in His finished work on the Cross, while the Holy produces or works the fruit(s) He desires in our life. If you want to honor the OT Sabbath all good and will but do not force upon others, trying to override the liberty freely given to them from God. For Jesus Christ is the TRUESR REST/LORD of Sabbath we as believers can delight in. Let us not as Christians fall as the Jews did, who denied the True REST of God: To whom He said, This is the REST wherewith ye may cause the weary to REST; and this is the Refreshing: yet they would not hear. Isaiah 28:12

Shouldn't this be under a 4th commandment discussion?

Reactions: BarneyFife

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interestingly the reason why the Jews refrained from using the divine name was because of this Commandment.
Despite the command in Exodus 3:15, which from the Jewish Tanakh reads....

"And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation. טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣י לְעֹלָ֔ם וְזֶ֥ה זִכְרִ֖י לְדֹ֥ר דֹּֽר:"

So the Jews were instructed to use the name of God "יְהֹוָ֞ה" in their speech, but not to use it in a way that would bring reproach on this precious name. Reading through the Tanakh we can see that the name of God " יְהֹוָ֞ה " (Yahweh, Jehovah in English) was used almost 7000 times in the Hebrew scriptures, but the Jews had made the audible use of God's name unlawful, despite the fact that they received no instructions to substitute the title "Adonai" (LORD) for God's illustrious name.

The real reason I believe that it was lost, was because the Jews were making frivolous oaths in Jehovah's name and then failing to honor them, thus bringing reproach on God by using his name in a dishonest way. The Jewish leaders responded to this by taking God's name out of their speech, thereby ensuring that this practice was eliminated. But was that the right way to do it?

They had no sanction from God to cease uttering God's name, but according to Exodus 3:15, they had an obligation to "mention" it in all generations, which they failed to do. It would have meant a lot of work to police the frivolous oaths and to prosecute the offenders for breaking God's law, so the religious leaders took the easy way out, and as a consequence, the correct pronunciation of God's name was lost.....and confusion was caused when the "Lord Jesus" came on the scene. "The LORD Yahweh" in time came to be confused with "The Lord Jesus" and in time, Christendom combined the two as "one God" and ended up including the holy spirit as their threesome. The scriptures never taught that God was three......to the Jews and early Christians, he was "one". (Deuteronomy 6:4) Jesus was Jewish and he used Jewish scripture, as did the apostles. The Jews had no trinity.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You can edit or delete your own posts by clicking on the three bars at the bottom left of the post.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Exodus 20:7)​

7. In vain. The word thus translated means “iniquity,” “falsehood,” “vanity,” “emptiness.” To inculcate reverence is the chief purpose of the third commandment (see Ps. 111:9; Eccl. 5:1, 2), which is an appropriate sequel to the two that precede it. Those who serve none but the true God, and serve Him in spirit and in truth, will avoid any careless, irreverent, or unnecessary use of the holy name. They will not indulge in profanity. Profanity, or any careless language for that matter, not only violates the spirit of religion but indicates a lack of breeding and gentlemanliness as well.

Immodest words admit of no defence,

For want of decency is want of sense.

This commandment applies not only to words we should avoid but to the care with which we should use those that are good (see Matt. 12:34–37).

The third commandment also condemns empty ceremony and formality in worship (see 2 Tim. 3:5), and exalts worship in the true spirit of holiness (John 4:24). It shows that obedience to the letter of the law is not sufficient. None ever reverenced the name of God more strictly than did the Jews, who to this day will not utter it. As a result, no one now knows how it should be pronounced. But in their extreme devotion to the letter of the law the Jews offered God an empty honor. This false zeal did not prevent the tragic mistake of the Jewish nation 2,000 years ago (John 1:11; Acts 13:46).

The third commandment also forbids false swearing, or perjury, which has always been considered a serious moral and social offense deserving of the most severe punishment. The careless use of God’s name denotes a lack of reverence for Him. If our thinking is on a spiritually elevated plane, our words will also be elevated, and will be dictated by what is honest and sincere (Phil. 4:8).

Interesting topic sir, but I noticed that although the topic is about God's name, you didn't mention it, may I ask why?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you so much for helping me make my point, Good Sir. :)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been meditating on this topic for awhile....Since God's name is not "God"....He is THE God of all gods so God is what He is and His name is Adonai, El Shaddai, El Elyon...etc.
I can't say how many times I have heard someone use the "gd" word and get upset. Especially if I was giving them a ride and they would say it in my car. I would immediately tell them that is not allowed in my car and if they want a ride from me then they have to refrain from using that word or find another ride.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE GOLDEN ARROW PRAYER

MAY THE MOST HOLY, MOST SACRED, MOST ADORABLE, MOST INCOMPREHENSIBLE AND UNUTTERABLE NAME OF GOD BE ALWAYS PRAISED, BLESSED, LOVED, ADORED AND GLORIFIED, IN HEAVEN, ON EARTH AND UNDER THE EARTH, BY ALL THE CREATURES OF GOD, AND BY THE SACRED HEART OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, IN THE MOST HOLY SACRAMENT OF THE ALTAR. AMEN.

After receiving this prayer, Sister Mary of St. Peter was given a vision in which she saw the Sacred Heart of Jesus delightfully wounded by this "Go/den Arrow" as torrents of graces streamed from It for the conversion of sinners.

Reactions: Philip James

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have been meditating on this topic for awhile....Since God's name is not "God"....He is THE God of all gods so God is what He is and His name is Adonai, El Shaddai, El Elyon...etc.
Actually God does not have many names.....he has many titles but only one name. (Psalm 83:18 KJV)
It was given to Moses after he had successfully guided the children of Israel out of Egypt. (Exodus 3:13-15) Yahweh never once told his people to substitute his precious name for a title. (See post #11)
He told them never to use it in a way that would bring reproach on him.

I can't say how many times I have heard someone use the "gd" word and get upset. Especially if I was giving them a ride and they would say it in my car. I would immediately tell them that is not allowed in my car and if they want a ride from me then they have to refrain from using that word or find another ride.
I am confused as to what you mean by the “gd” word...? What was it that was said in your car that made you upset?

Last edited: