50 years a priest of the Roman Catholic church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjANegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2-FKiKhOKfKjO_4rrPwe9I

Fifty years in the church of Rome

This is an in depth personal testimony by a former catholic priest. Very informative.

At present it can be downloaded as a free PDF but will soon disappear as free I suspect.

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 . . . The Bible and the Priest of Rome
Chapter 2 . . . My First Schooldays at St. Thomas- The Monk and Celibacy
Chapter 3 . . . The Confession of Children
Chapter 4 . . . The Shepherd Whipped by His Sheep
Chapter 5 . . . The Priest, Purgatory, and the Poor Widow's Cow
Chapter 6 . . . Festivities in a Parsonage
Chapter 7 . . . Preparation for the First Communion- Initiation to Idolatry
Chapter 8 . . . The First Communion
Chapter 9 . . . Intellectual Education in the Roman Catholic College
Chapter 10 . . . Moral and Religious Instruction in the Roman Catholic Colleges
Chapter 11 . . . Protestant Children in the Convents and Nunneries of Rome
Chapter 12 . . . Rome and Education- Why does the Church of Rome hate the Common Schools of the United
States, and want to destroy them?- Why does she object to the reading of the Bible in the Schools?
Chapter 13 . . . Theology of the Church of Rome: its Anti-Christian Character
Chapter 14 . . . The Vow of Celibacy
Chapter 15 . . . The Impurities of the Theology of Rome
Chapter 16 . . . The Priests of Rome and the Holy Fathers; or, how I Swore to give up the Word of God to follow
the Word of Men
Chapter 17 . . . The Roman Catholic Priesthood, or Ancient and Modern Idolatry
Chapter 18 . . . Nine Consequences of the Dogma of Transubstantiation- The Old Paganism under a Christian
Name
Chapter 19 . . . Vicarage, and Life at St. Charles, Rivierre Boyer
Chapter 20 . . . Papineau and the Patriots in 1833- The Burning of "Le Canadien" by the Curate of St. Charles
Chapter 21 . . . Grand Dinner of the Priests- The Maniac Sister of Rev. Mr. Perras
Chapter 22 . . . I am appointed Vicar of the Curate of Charlesbourgh- The Piety, Lives and Deaths of Fathers
Bedard and Perras
Chapter 23 . . . The Cholera Morbus of 1834- Admirable Courage and Self-Denial of the Priests of Rome during
the Epidemic
Chapter 24 . . . I am named a Vicar of St. Roch, Quebec City- The Rev. Mr. Tetu- Tertullian- General Cargo-
The Seal Skins
Chapter 25 . . . Simony- Strange and Sacrilegious Traffic in the S0-called Body and Blood of Christ- Enormous
Sums of Money made by the Sale of Masses- The Society of Three Masses abolished, and the Society of One
Mass established
Chapter 26 . . . Continuation of the Trade in Masses
Chapter 27 . . . Quebec Marine Hospital- The First Time I carried the "Bon Dieu" (the wafer god) in my Vest
Pocket- The Grand Oyster Soiree at Mr. Buteau's- The Rev. L. Parent and the "Bon Dieu" at the Oyster Soiree
Chapter 28 . . . Dr. Douglas- My first Lesson on Temperance- Study of Anatomy- Working of Alcohol in the
Human Frame- The Murderess of Her Own Child- I for ever give up the use of Intoxicating Drinks
Chapter 29 . . . Conversions of Protestants to the Church of Rome- Rev. Anthony Parent, Superior of the
Seminary of Quebec; His peculiar way of finding access to the Protestants and bringing them to the Catholic
Church- How he spies the Protestants through the Confessional- I persuade Ninety-three Families to become
Catholics
Chapter 30 . . . The Murders and Thefts in Quebec from 1835 to 1836- The Night Excursion with Two Thieves-
The Restitution- The Dawn of Light
Chapter 31 . . . Chambers and his Accomplices Condemned to Death- Asked me to Prepare them for their
Terrible Fate- A Week in their Dungeon- Their Sentence of Death changed into Deportation to Botany Bay-
Their Departure of Exile- I meet one of them a Sincere Convert, very rich, in a high and honourable position in
Australia, in 1878
Chapter 32 . . . The Miracles of Rome- Attack of Typhoid Fever- Apparition of St. Anne and St. Philomene- My
Sudden Cure- The Curate of St. Anne du Nord, Mons. Ranvoize, almost a disguised Protestant

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. While I have to admit this is not a subject that interests me all that much, I am a sucker for collecting free books when I can.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you might post some highlights here Frank, to suck us in a little :)
Father Chiniquy was a Quebecois Roman Catholic priest whose eyes were opened to the evils of the RCC and he was converted, after which he wrote this book.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjANegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2-FKiKhOKfKjO_4rrPwe9I

This is an in depth personal testimony by a former catholic priest. Very informative.

At present it can be downloaded as a free PDF but will soon disappear as free I suspect.

Table of Contents
Chapter 12 . . . Rome and Education- Why does the Church of Rome hate the Common Schools of the United
States, and want to destroy them?- Why does she object to the reading of the Bible in the Schools?
Chapter 16 . . . The Priests of Rome and the Holy Fathers; or, how I Swore to give up the Word of God to follow
the Word of Men
Chapter 18 . . . Nine Consequences of the Dogma of Transubstantiation- The Old Paganism under a Christian
Name
Chapter 20 . . . Papineau and the Patriots in 1833- The Burning of "Le Canadien" by the Curate of St. Charles
Chapter 21 . . . Grand Dinner of the Priests- The Maniac Sister of Rev. Mr. Perras
Chapter 22 . . . I am appointed Vicar of the Curate of Charlesbourgh- The Piety, Lives and Deaths of Fathers
Bedard and Perras
Chapter 23 . . . The Cholera Morbus of 1834- Admirable Courage and Self-Denial of the Priests of Rome during
the Epidemic
Chapter 24 . . . I am named a Vicar of St. Roch, Quebec City- The Rev. Mr. Tetu- Tertullian- General Cargo-
The Seal Skins
Chapter 25 . . . Simony- Strange and Sacrilegious Traffic in the S0-called Body and Blood of Christ- Enormous
Sums of Money made by the Sale of Masses- The Society of Three Masses abolished, and the Society of One
Mass established
Chapter 27 . . . Quebec Marine Hospital- The First Time I carried the "Bon Dieu" (the wafer god) in my Vest
Pocket- The Grand Oyster Soiree at Mr. Buteau's- The Rev. L. Parent and the "Bon Dieu" at the Oyster Soiree
Chapter 28 . . . Dr. Douglas- My first Lesson on Temperance- Study of Anatomy- Working of Alcohol in the
Human Frame- The Murderess of Her Own Child- I for ever give up the use of Intoxicating Drinks
Chapter 29 . . . Conversions of Protestants to the Church of Rome- Rev. Anthony Parent, Superior of the
Seminary of Quebec; His peculiar way of finding access to the Protestants and bringing them to the Catholic
Church- How he spies the Protestants through the Confessional- I persuade Ninety-three Families to become
Catholics
Chapter 30 . . . The Murders and Thefts in Quebec from 1835 to 1836- The Night Excursion with Two Thieves-
Chapter 31 . . . Chambers and his Accomplices Condemned to Death- Asked me to Prepare them for their
Terrible Fate- A Week in their Dungeon- Their Sentence of Death changed into Deportation to Botany Bay-
Their Departure of Exile- I meet one of them a Sincere Convert, very rich, in a high and honourable position in
Australia, in 1878
Chapter 32 . . . The Miracles of Rome- Attack of Typhoid Fever- Apparition of St. Anne and St. Philomene- My
Sudden Cure- The Curate of St. Anne du Nord, Mons. Ranvoize, almost a disguised Protestant

Downloaded. This strikes a chord with me as it is a local story.

I was browsing through the text and came across a man called Desaulnier (a common name) who was called "un homme singulier"...without translating the phrase (meaning "a singular man"...or "a different or unique man").

Looks interesting.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

I would like to add the following. Chinoquay at one time was being framed by his own church for a crime. He managed to get off, but the hatred of the priests who had organised the frame was palpable, and Chinoquay warned his lawyer that he would become a target. That Lawyer was a certain Abraham Lincoln.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would like to add the following. Chinoquay at one time was being framed by his own church for a crime. He managed to get off, but the hatred of the priests who had organised the frame was palpable, and Chinoquay warned his lawyer that he would become a target. That Lawyer was a certain Abraham Lincoln.

The story keeps getting better. Abraham Lincoln? Sounds familiar! ;) Chiniquy was born in the village of Kamouraska...which today is a beautiful tourist town....a great place on the St-Lawrence river that has some of my own family history attached to it.

Reactions: brakelite

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Table of Contents
the Word of Men
Name
Bedard and Perras
the Epidemic
The Seal Skins
Mass established
Catholics
Australia, in 1878
Hey Frank,

Here is another "Very informative" link:

Charles Chiniquy vs. the Catholic Church

Reactions: Frank Lee

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

In an effort to help you become more knowledgeable about historical fact vs fiction I would encourage you to read this book:

The Lincoln Writings of Charles P. T. Chiniquy by Joseph George, Jr.

Here is a link that allows you to read it for free: https://www.jstor.org/stable/40191689?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Historical Mary

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sgt Alvin C. York, WWI hero, was much more spiritual than the movie was able to convey. The movie was very accurate except for a few necessary inventions, and York would not agree to allow it's production unless Gary Cooper would play his part. The pastor Pyle and York signed off on the script before they began production.

York kept a daily journal from the time before he left Tennessee until he returned from Europe. The journal gives insight as to his dedication to God.

Returning to the scene of the fierce battle he excelled in and standing in the very place he remarked that his survival was due to God's hand. All of the undergrowth was mowed off by machine gun bullets.

The entire online Alvin C. York diary may be found here;

"The Diary of Alvin York" by Alvin C. York

An exerpt:

And then General Lindsey asked me to describe the fight to him. And I did. And then he asked me to march him out just like I marched the German major out, over the same ground and back to the American lines.

Our general was very popular. He was a natural born fighter and he could swear just as awful as he could fight. He could swear most awful bad.

And when I marched him back to our old lines he said to me, "York, how did you do it?" And I answered him, "Sir, it is not man power. A higher power than man power guided and watched over me and told me what to do." And the general bowed his head and put his hand on my shoulder and solemnly said, "York, you are right."

There can be no doubt in the world of the fact of the divine power being in that. No other power under heaven could bring a man out of a place like that. Men were killed on both sides of me; and I was the biggest and the most exposed of all. Over thirty machine guns were maintaining rapid fire at me, point-blank from a range of about twenty-five yards.

"A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee."
~ Psalm 91:7 ~

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Table of Contents
the Word of Men
Name
Bedard and Perras
the Epidemic
The Seal Skins
Mass established
Catholics
Australia, in 1878
@brakelite may want to read this also and step away from the Kool-aide before it does more harm to you.

Charles Chiniquy's autobiography reads like a work of self-promotion. Many of its allegations are doubtful to say the least. As for Lincoln's assassination, the evidence simply is not there. When he died he left behind him a legacy of untruth in the name of faith that lives on, for his claims are still trotted out as ammunition against the Roman Church. His genuine concerns were lost in the rhetoric of his overstatements.......(source) www.christianity.com

Historical Mary

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks be unto God I'd never heard of any of this when the lord Jesus came to save me. The corruptions, perversions, half truths and whole lies of any denominations were unknown to me, thanks be to God forevermore.

God still reaches out and touches multitudes without the interference of man's creations, the perfidious denominations. God knew he would have to do so before time began as evidenced in Ezekiel 34 and many other places. Those believing that the so called great commission is carried out by disciples alone are mistaken. Not once has God advocated the creation of denominations. Those clubs that advocate their own peculiar beliefs above the truths Jesus preached.

The historical muck of denominations, all of them, adds nothing to the revelation of the spirit of God to a wretched soul crying out to God. Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

Reactions: Episkopos

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks be unto God I'd never heard of any of this when the lord Jesus came to save me. The corruptions, perversions, half truths and whole lies of any denominations were unknown to me, thanks be to God forevermore.

God still reaches out and touches multitudes without the interference of man's creations, the perfidious denominations. God knew he would have to do so before time began as evidenced in Ezekiel 34 and many other places. Those believing that the so called great commission is carried out by disciples alone are mistaken. Not once has God advocated the creation of denominations. Those clubs that advocate their own peculiar beliefs above the truths Jesus preached.

The historical muck of denominations, all of them, adds nothing to the revelation of the spirit of God to a wretched soul crying out to God. Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
I agree that God did not advocate the creation of denominations. He advocated for one Church with one voice built on a rock that is the pillar and foundation of truth. Denominations have multiple "truths".

Which Church is that?

Mary

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that God did not advocate the creation of denominations. He advocated for one Church with one voice built on a rock that is the pillar and foundation of truth. Denominations have multiple "truths".

Which Church is that?

Mary

I knew Lincoln had to have a hand in it somehow.

Quantrill...alias Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew Lincoln had to have a hand in it somehow.

Quantrill...alias Stranger
What a bizarre statement. Focus stranger.

Which church is the pillar and foundation of Truth?

Curious Mary

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
WHO WAS CHARLES CHINIQUY?

Facts Versus Falsehood

the_man.jpg

In 1885, a former Catholic priest, Charles Chiniquy, wrote a book titled Fifty Years in the Church of Rome in which he made many scandalous allegations against the Catholic Church, including the accusation that the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln in 1865 had been the result of a conspiracy by the Catholic Church, and that the assassin John Wilkes Booth was a Catholic who had been corrupted and led by the Vatican to commit the murder.

Chiniquy, who had been excommunicated by the Catholic Church in 1858, claimed that "emissaries of the Pope" had promised Booth "a crown of glory in heaven" for the killing of Lincoln. According to Chiniquy, the assassination was perpetrated by the Church in revenge for Lincoln's defense of Chiniquy in a 1856 lawsuit.

Chiniquy's writings are still widely distributed and promoted, in books and on webpages. The goal of this website is to provide factual information concerning Charles Chiniquy and his allegations against the Catholic Church.

(These three articles originally appeared on Yahoo's Geocities and were preserved by P 9/2009 before Geocities pages went offline).

PASTOR CHINIQUY: AN EXAMINATION OF HIS "FIFTY YEARS IN THE CHURCH OF ROME"

CHINIQUY VERSUS CHINIQUY

CHARLES CHINIQUY ON ABRAHAM LINCOLN