6 Rituals In Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lk 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

Scripture demands that call Mary blessed!

To do so would be to honor Mary!

To do so is to praise Mary!

To do so is to venerate Mary!

All Christians must say with the angels; “Hail Mary” ever blessed!

It’s biblical!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The three parts of the Godhead. It's not "non-Biblical". It's a basic doctrine of Christianity.
Yes, and Modalism is not.

John 14:25-26, “I [Jesus] have spoken these things while staying with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and will cause you to remember everything I said to you."

Should I accept your opinion or what the Bible clearly says?
My opinion is that the Bible clearly indicates who Jesus is talking to. The first clue is found in the first 8 verses of John 14. Jesus is talking to His Apostles and no one else. So I checked back to John 13. There are no representatives of anyone else. Just Apostles.
Who is the "man of God" in @ Tim. 3:17? Scripture defines them as:
A) called directly by God followed by signs and wonders, or:
B) an Apostle or one who is ordained by the Church.
That anyone with a Bible and no ecclesiology can declare themselves a "man of God" is not supported in Scripture. It's a man made tradition. Key in any Bible search engine you like: "man of God" and see the usage for yourself.
"All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." (2 Tim. 3:16-17)

There is the relationship: the Scriptures are a tool for "teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness," but who is to use this tool for these purposes? That is, who has the authority to teach, reproof, correct, and train others in righteousness? The "man of God" has this authority.
But, who is the "man of God?" You may wish to claim this title for yourself as well, but a short survey of Scripture's use of the title will reveal that this, too, is a privileged title that cannot be simply taken upon oneself:

Moses - "This is the blessing with which Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death." (Deut. 33:1)

"Then the people of Judah came to Joshua at Gilgal; and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said to him, 'You know what the LORD said to Moses the man of God in Kadesh-barnea concerning you and me.'" (Josh. 14:6)

The Angel of the Lord - "Then the woman came and told her husband, 'A man of God came to me, and his countenance was like the countenance of the angel of God, very terrible; I did not ask him whence he was, and he did not tell me his name...' Then Manoah entreated the LORD, and said, 'O, LORD, I pray thee, let the man of God whom thou didst send come again to us, and teach us what we are to do with the boy that will be born.'" (Jud. 13:6, 8)

Samuel - "The servant answered Saul again, 'Here, I have with me the fourth part of a shekel of silver, and I will give it to the man of God, to tell us our way.'" (1 Sam. 9:8)

Elijah - "And she said to Elijah, 'What have you against me, O man of God? You have come to me to bring my sin to remembrance, and to cause the death of my son!'" (1 Kings 17:18)

Elisha - "And she went up and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out... When Elisha came into the house, he saw the child lying dead on his bed." (2 Kings 4:21, 32)

David - "According to the ordinance of David his father, he appointed the divisions of the priests for their service, and the Levites for their offices of praise and ministry before the priests as the duty of each day required, and the gatekeepers in their divisions for the several gates; for so David the man of God had commanded." (2 Chr. 8:14)

St. Timothy - "But as for you, man of God, shun all this; aim at righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness." (1 Tim. 6:11)
Contrary to the opinion that the "man of God" can be any Christian without distinction, Scripture itself will not allow such an interpretation, insisting that the "man of God" is a figure of authority, either commissioned by God directly through Divine Intervention (such as Moses or the Angel), or appointed by another holder of authority (such as Samuel, David, Elisha, and St. Timothy).

From this very brief survey of the phrase "man of God" (there are perhaps a dozen or so more passages, relating to the characters listed above - I have chosen representative verses), we see that what holds true for "pastors" holds true for the "man of God": it is a title of authority that can in no way be taken upon oneself, but rather, it is bestowed upon a man by a higher authority. A man must be called by God to hold this title of "man of God."

But there is another objection here: you will say, "I have been called by God to be a pastor." Very well, let us take another look at Scripture to measure your claim.
Biblically, there is only one way to become a legitimate ambassador of Christ, or "pastor": by appointment from a superior. This can be done in two ways: being commissioned by a legitimate ambassador (apostolic succession), or being called directly by God. We saw examples of this in Scripture already: Ss. Timothy and Titus were appointed to their positions of authority by succession, Moses was appointed to his position directly by God, with no human mediation.
As to the first method, apostolic succession comes through the laying on of hands in ceremony: "Hence I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands... guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us." (2 Tim. 1:6, 14)
When St. Paul imposed his hands on St. Timothy, he passed on a legitimate apostolic authority, "entrusted" the "truth" to him, and imparted the gift of "the Holy Spirit" for the safekeeping and preservation of the Gospel.

As has already been said, only a superior can do this, and not an inferior, since an inferior cannot pass on what he does not already possess.
By What Authority? A Challenge to Protestant Pastors

Laying on of hands is a ritual.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More RCC propaganda. Baptism is a rite that symbolically states our death to the old, carnal man and the reborn life in Christ. It doesn't mean anything more than that. You do not have to be baptized to be a Christian, i.e., be a new creation in Christ.

"Faith and baptism accomplish justification" is half right.
That's NOT what Jesus said . . .
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

As a matter of fact the Bible teaches MANY times that Baptism is not only NOT merely "symbolic" - but that it means a LOT more than YOUR clueless description . . .
Ezek. 36:25-28
I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your uncleanness from all your idols I will cleanse you. A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will remove from your body the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will put my spirit within you, and make you follow my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances. Then you shall live in the land that I gave to your ancestors; and you shall be my people, and I will be your God.

John 3:5
Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Acts 2:37-38
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and to the other apostles, "Brothers, what should we do?" Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

1 Pet. 3:21
Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

We receive forgiveness, the Holy Spirit and new life in Baptism.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your first sentence is correct. I never said otherwise.

However, one becomes a Christian by accepting Christ's sacrifice on their behalf, not by baptism. Baptism (by immersion, not sprinkling) is a statement that one is symbolically buried with Christ and reborn into a new life. Romans 6:4-5, "Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life. For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united in the likeness of his resurrection."
Funny - that's NOT what Jesus said.
Jesis said that one becomes a disciple of His (a Christian) by being Baptized:
Matt. 28:19-20

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

And Ba[tos, by both immersion and pouring was being done in the FIRST century, according to the Didache (Teachings of the Twelve Apostles).

This document, which was written while most of the Apostles weere STILL alive (AD 50) give us the ONLY detailed glimpse of the Baptismal Rite in the first century. NOWHERE in Scripture is it detailed OR described as ut us in the Didache.

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism
And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Catholic propaganda.

Now I am not suggesting others to become Catholic, but this video is pretty interesting. It's more a video of what makes Catholics different to other denominations, the Catholic Church will state clearly whether if something is true or not true, whether if something is right or wrong, not many appear to read a Catechism, but it is a pretty good guide on how we should live life, and the Catechism does back stuff up with scripture.

Whereas protestants or other denominations there are plenty of disagreements and debate on Biblical topics, which is a reason why there are so many *other* thousands of different denominations.

Reactions: Illuminator

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Would you not call Prayer, worship and communion Christian rituals in the Sunday service or whenever you have a Church service?
@Josho It's good to pursue Biblical practices as per Acts 2.42: "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers." (I wouldn't use the word rituals, though.)

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho It's good to pursue Biblical practices as per Acts 2.42: "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers." (I wouldn't use the word rituals, though.)

True, the usage of the word ritual is debatable though.

Oxford dictionary
"a religious or solemn ceremony consisting of a series of actions performed according to a prescribed order."

In an average protestant Church, a service would go in this order, and this can include anything from a Anglican to a Lutheran to a Baptist to a Pentecostal Church.

Prayer -> Worship -> Sermon -> Prayer -> Communion -> maybe more worship and then closing in prayer and then sometimes more prayers for healing afterwards.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
True, the usage of the word ritual is debatable though.

Oxford dictionary
"a religious or solemn ceremony consisting of a series of actions performed according to a prescribed order."

In an average protestant Church, a service would go in this order, and this can include anything from a Anglican to a Lutheran to a Baptist to a Pentecostal Church.

Prayer -> Worship -> Sermon -> Prayer -> Communion -> maybe more worship and then closing in prayer and then sometimes more prayers for healing afterwards.
I guess also the question would be whether the order being followed is simply tradition or whether it is actually from Scripture, as led of the Spirit...

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess also the question would be whether the order being followed is simply tradition or whether it is actually from Scripture, as led of the Spirit...

Hmmm, the main point was even in the more liturgical churches, where they have more rituals than others, it does not matter so much, a lot of these churches usually have older congregations which have been faithful and loyal to Jesus for most of their lives or a big chunk of their lives, what matters is where their heart is.

My first post in this thread was a response to @JohnPaul 6 Rituals In Christianity and please don't take any offense to this, but we should be careful not to label anything and everything as Satanic, it has happened far too often in recent times, and in this case it is far from the truth, yeah some Churches may have more rituals than others, but what matters is where their heart is, and if their heart is for the Lord Jesus, that is what matters most.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm, the main point was even in the more liturgical churches, where they have more rituals than others, it does not matter so much, a lot of these churches usually have older congregations which have been faithful and loyal to Jesus for most of their lives or a big chunk of their lives, what matters is where their heart is.

My first post in this thread was a response to @JohnPaul 6 Rituals In Christianity and please don't take any offense to this, but we should be careful not to label anything and everything as Satanic, it has happened far too often in recent times, and in this case it is far from the truth, yeah some Churches may have more rituals than others, but what matters is where their heart is, and if their heart is for the Lord Jesus, that is what matters most.
My apologies.