7 PAGAN FESTIVALS WE STILL CELEBRATE TODAY ~ under the guise of Christian celebrations and names.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually - it's time YOU get a real Bible instead of the perverted New Word Translation . . .

Which bible do you read?

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can cite any modern 'source' you like. I'll stick with the Bishop of Antioch who learned these things from the apostle John, was ordained by the apostles, and commended by Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna.

"To the angel of the church in Smyrna, write this: " 'The first and the last, who once died but came to life, says this:

"I know your tribulation and poverty, but you are rich. 9 I know the slander of those who claim to be Jews and are not, but rather are members of the assembly of Satan.

Do not be afraid of anything that you are going to suffer. Indeed, the devil will throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will face an ordeal for ten days. Remain faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

So then, Jesus commends Smyrna and Smyrna commends Antioch..

Pax et Bonum
The only Source that a man/woman needs to know the Truth is God's Word.

The only way a man/woman is Born-Again is thru the Spirit of the WORD = SEE Apostle Peter

1 Peter 1:23
Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

SEE my Catholic friend and acquaintence = we are Born-Again within by the Spirit of God = not by outward religious ceremony

Peace and Rest in JESUS = which only HE can give = no man or religion or institution can provide

Reactions: amigo de christo

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you read anything that has not been written by a Roman Catholic?

POSTED today by me in reply to Fullness of the Gentiles ... who said
"I've done some quick searches in the Internet on the research of others regarding what time of year the course of Abijah (the key) were due to perform their priestly service in the temple, but it's too much reading for now."

I posted an easily understood explanation on why it was not December 25. (Post#328)

It IS pretty definitive... See the chart below in The Course of Abija
Make sure you read below the chart about " The Course of Abija "

What are the Jewish New Years? Here are Three

Biblical year starting on Aviv/Nisan 1​

Nisan 1 marked the new year for the purpose of counting the months on the Jewish calendar. Scripture lists two names for the first month of the Jewish calendar year: Aviv and Nisan. Most of the Jewish culture today refers to it as Nisan. On the Gregorian calendar, it begins usually in March.

Traditional Jewish New Year on Tishri 1 (Rosh Hashanah)​

Leviticus 23:24 says: Speak to the people of Israel, saying, “In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you shall observe a day of solemn rest, a memorial proclaimed with blast of trumpets, a holy convocation.”

(It is noteworthy to observe that "Jewish New Year " is not considered the start of the year on their calendar.
BUT I SEE A RELEVANCE)

Nisan is. (my side note... interesting that this beginning of a year is the month Jesus was resurrected.... Nisan 14 WHICH IS A NEW BEGINNING FOR US.)

Any way THE CHART BELOW is very definitive based on what biblically you have shown in your post. Bolding and enlargements are mine.

www.the13thenumeration.com

The Course of Abija - William Struse

How many of you have heard of the course of Abija (Abijah)? Did you know it is one of the only ways to date the birth of Jesus in the Bible? 95% of Americans will celebrate the birth of Christ this year, so I thought some might be interested in the Biblical case for the […]
www.the13thenumeration.com
According to Luke 1:26, Mary was impregnated by the Holy Spirit in Elizabeth’s SIXTH month of pregnancy. Going by the Gregorian Calendar – that would put us at right around Marchsix months from Yom Kippur and Rosh Hoshana.
9 months from that is December.

Besides, my whole purpose for arguing for the December date was npt tp "prove" the December date of Christmas - but to to DISPROVE your arguments that Christmas was simply an offshoot of Sol Invictus and Saturnalia. I showed you a quote from an ancient Church document, Commentary on the book of Daniel (c. A.D. 204) by Hippolytus of Rome, which PREDATES the pagan festival in December by at least SEVENTY (70) years.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can cite any modern 'source' you like. I'll stick with the Bishop of Antioch who learned these things from the apostle John, was ordained by the apostles, and commended by Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna.

"To the angel of the church in Smyrna, write this: " 'The first and the last, who once died but came to life, says this:

"I know your tribulation and poverty, but you are rich. 9 I know the slander of those who claim to be Jews and are not, but rather are members of the assembly of Satan.

Do not be afraid of anything that you are going to suffer. Indeed, the devil will throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will face an ordeal for ten days. Remain faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

So then, Jesus commends Smyrna and Smyrna commends Antioch..

Pax et Bonum
You're calling that a modern source? While worshiping under the edicts decided upon by Vatican 2?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which bible do you read?
I have several Bibles.
I like some Protestant Bibles like the ESV as well, even though they are incomplete.

Catholic Bibles contaon all 46 Books of the OT, while Protestant Bible omite 7 Books.
This was decided by yout Protestant Fathers.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But your Orthodox counter part that started at the same time as you did then the split came
claims it is Christ's Church and you are wrong.
And they were part of the ONE Catholic Church befoe the Split.

Ignatius of Antioch
"Follow your bishop, every one of you, as obediently as Jesus Christ followed the Father. Obey your clergy too as you would the apostles; give your deacons the same reverence that you would to a command of God. Make sure that no step affecting the Church is ever taken by anyone without the bishop’s sanction. The sole Eucharist you should consider valid is one that is celebrated by the bishop himself, or by some person authorized by him. Where the bishop is to be seen, there let all his people be; just as, wherever Jesus Christ is present, there is the Catholic Church" (Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 107]).

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have several Bibles.
I like some Protestant Bibles like the ESV as well, even though they are incomplete.

Catholic Bibles contaon all 46 Books of the OT, while Protestant Bible omite 7 Books.
This was decided by yout Protestant Fathers.
Yes,omitted as Apocrypha.

Your church ignored God's warning against adding to or removing from God's commands. Deuteronomy 4:2.

The Hebrew Canon did not include the books labeled Apocrypha. The Hebrews words of God pre existed your church. Your church added to their "Old Testament". This violates Gods warning.

The Protestant , protest ant, reformation father's obeyed God.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And they were part of the ONE Catholic Church befoe the Split.

Ignatius of Antioch
"Follow your bishop, every one of you, as obediently as Jesus Christ followed the Father. Obey your clergy too as you would the apostles; give your deacons the same reverence that you would to a command of God. Make sure that no step affecting the Church is ever taken by anyone without the bishop’s sanction. The sole Eucharist you should consider valid is one that is celebrated by the bishop himself, or by some person authorized by him. Where the bishop is to be seen, there let all his people be; just as, wherever Jesus Christ is present, there is the Catholic Church" (Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 107]).
This is just catholic propaganda and cannot be found in the Holy Scriptures.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, I knew a woman once who baptised her 2 older daughters, then when her tubes came untied refused to consider for the next 4.

She said it was up to them when they grew up if they wanted to.

As far as I know none did.

One oven died from an over dose on drugs.

Would baptism have save them. NO.

But a regular dose of church going would have helped.
Considering that only those authorised by God (spiritually qualified men) can baptize, it would indicate that the woman was not attached to a “church”, otherwise she would not have taken on that task herself.

And the scriptures tell us to raise our children with a love of God and a respect for his word, but the Bible is full of accounts where excellent fathers produced worthless children and vice verse. So there is a balance of nature and nurture at work here......”You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear”, as they used to say. You cannot make a person into someone he/she is not, regardless of what you inculcate in them....yet we are told to raise them well with spiritual instruction. (Proverbs 3:11; Prov 19:18; Prov 22:6; Eph 6:4)

God forces no one to worship him and fear is not a good foundation to build love. It has to come from their own heart.

Children learn what they live, and if that is full of flawed examples, then we can see why a child might end up with those same flaws.....yet the most wicked man in all the Bible, (Manasseh) was turned around and he humbled himself before his God and became faithful. His grandson Josiah was a good King among many bad ones.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes,omitted as Apocrypha.

Your church ignored God's warning against adding to or removing from God's commands. Deuteronomy 4:2.

The Hebrew Canon did not include the books labeled Apocrypha. The Hebrews words of God pre existed your church. Your church added to their "Old Testament". This violates Gods warning.

The Protestant , protest ant, reformation father's obeyed God.
Wanna bet?
Time for a History Lesson . .

Did you know that had it not been for some of their contemporaries like Philip Melanchton - your Protestant Fathers would have also deleted Hebrews, Jude, Revelation. YOU talk about “adding” to the Word, but you don’t have a problem with Martin Luther adding the word, “Alone” to Romans 3:28 to his German translation – thereby changing the context if Scripture.

As to the OT –
During the life of Christ on earth - the Jewish Canon of Scripture was an OPEN canono.After the destruction of Jerusalem, a group of Rabbis established a rabbinical school in the Jewish city of at Jabneh (or Jamnia). It became center for Jewish political and religious political thought. Because the Temple had been destroyed in 70 AD – this school led by Rabbi Akiba ben Joseph (A.D. 37-137) redefined certain aspects of Judaism until the Temple could be restored.

One of the things discussed was use of the Greek translation of the Old Testament (the Septuagint) by early Christians.

They decided to eject 7 Books (and portions of Esther and Daniel) that they felt were “uninspired”. They provided a new Greek translation because the early Christians were converting the Jews using the Septuagint, which was compiled about 200 years before the birth of Christ. According to historical sources, the rabbinical gathering at Jabneh was not even an "official" council with binding authority to make such a decision.

The main advocate for removing the 7 Deuterocanonical Books was Rabbi Akiba, who was also known for proclaiming that a man named Simon Bar Kokhba was the “real” Messiah during the 2nd Jewish Revolt (circa 132 AD). It was during THIS time that the Jewish Canon that had still been an OPEN Canon during the life of Christ was closed. It can be clearly shown that Jesus and the Apostles studied and quoted from these 7 Books. In the New Testament, we see almost 200 references to them.

So, your Protestant Fathers chose to go with a POST-Christ, POST-Temple Canon of Scripture that was declared by a FALSE Prophet (Akiva) who proclaimed a FALSE “Christ” (Kokhba).

Congratulation . . .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now now my friend . we got to meet them halfway . you know that is what is being sold as loving today .
SO in this i do declare . I have decided to meet rome halfway .
Now do take heed to what i say next and you will clearly understand exactly where i do stand about this half way stuff .
When the RCC makes a decree they call it a papal bull . And now in their own words i will meet them half way .
IF IT cometh of the RCC , WELL IT IS BULL . that i can say . i will meet them halfway on that . NOW HIT the trenches
we aint got the time left most folks think we do . WE better get real busy pointing to JESUS CHRIST and all sound biblical
doctrine by which if one takes heed they shall indeed grow wise unto salvation through Faith in CHRIST JESUS .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - it's a window into the 1st century Church, showing how the Christians of the day practiced their faith.
Denying History doesn't make you a "Scripture scholar" - it just makes you a sad little revisionist . . .

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wanna bet?
Time for a History Lesson . .

Did you know that had it not been for some of their contemporaries like Philip Melanchton - your Protestant Fathers would have also deleted Hebrews, Jude, Revelation. YOU talk about “adding” to the Word, but you don’t have a problem with Martin Luther adding the word, “Alone” to Romans 3:28 to his German translation – thereby changing the context if Scripture.

As to the OT –
During the life of Christ on earth - the Jewish Canon of Scripture was an OPEN canono.After the destruction of Jerusalem, a group of Rabbis established a rabbinical school in the Jewish city of at Jabneh (or Jamnia). It became center for Jewish political and religious political thought. Because the Temple had been destroyed in 70 AD – this school led by Rabbi Akiba ben Joseph (A.D. 37-137) redefined certain aspects of Judaism until the Temple could be restored.

One of the things discussed was use of the Greek translation of the Old Testament (the Septuagint) by early Christians.

They decided to eject 7 Books (and portions of Esther and Daniel) that they felt were “uninspired”. They provided a new Greek translation because the early Christians were converting the Jews using the Septuagint, which was compiled about 200 years before the birth of Christ. According to historical sources, the rabbinical gathering at Jabneh was not even an "official" council with binding authority to make such a decision.

The main advocate for removing the 7 Deuterocanonical Books was Rabbi Akiba, who was also known for proclaiming that a man named Simon Bar Kokhba was the “real” Messiah during the 2nd Jewish Revolt (circa 132 AD). It was during THIS time that the Jewish Canon that had still been an OPEN Canon during the life of Christ was closed. It can be clearly shown that Jesus and the Apostles studied and quoted from these 7 Books. In the New Testament, we see almost 200 references to them.

So, your Protestant Fathers chose to go with a POST-Christ, POST-Temple Canon of Scripture that was declared by a FALSE Prophet (Akiva) who proclaimed a FALSE “Christ” (Kokhba).

Congratulation . . .
You copied that from a former thread here.

It takes quite a bit of time to excise the intellectual property of others on websites and paste them and save to a word document for later use in a forum like this.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You copied that from a former thread here.
It takes quite a bit of time to excise the intellectual property of others on websites and paste them and save to a word document for later use in a forum like this.
I WROTE that post on that thread. It's from an article I wrote 10 years ago.
Are you saying that I can't reuse it?

The article I wrote is based in part on a book written by a Protestant minister, "Where We Got The Bible - Our Debt to the Catholic Church" by Rev. Henry G. Graham.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cassandra suggested a thread on this so I am starting one.

It is important to look at the link but I suggest we take one festival at a time and lets try to figure out
why they chose a tie in with a Pagan festival.

Preview in the link says:

NOW~ I have a couple of unexplained questions and this is one of them.... perhap there are some opinions out there.

A. We celebrate the birth of the christ child on December 25 and the date of that never changes from year to year. We also know He was not born on that date nor in the month of December. But world wide
this is an accepted time..... EXCEPT for the Orthodox who celebrate it on Jan. 7 in 19 countries and Jan. 6 in 2 countries.

So why was December 25 picked as there is not one biblical reference that would suggest this.

This link from History.com may shed a light. (It is a very insightful read.)

What say you?
Labor day how's that pagan?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - it's a window into the 1st century Church, showing how the Christians of the day practiced their faith.
Denying History doesn't make you a "Scripture scholar" - it just makes you a sad little revisionist . . .
The 'christians' of the 1st Century were already under attack by false doctrine and false apostles even BEFORE the Peter, Paul and John left this earth.

Please read Acts and Hebrews