A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been considering “double minded” a lot the past couple days. It has changed some from how I once viewed it as a group of people. The “us” and the “them”. For example over here is the group of lowly and poor to be exalted, and over there are the rich who perishes, and fades away; the fashion of them passing away.

but considering how “double minded” is two minds at work in one body. That body unstable, tossed to and from by which mind does it serve? Consider the Paul and how he rejoiced in Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. [12] I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. [13] I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Two minds: yet He said let this mind be in you that was in Christ. Two minds: the old man and the New. One perishes, and fades away, the fashion of him passing away. John the Baptist said: He must increase, but I must decrease. In James 1:8-11 how can a rich man rejoice in that he is made (brought) low? Consider
James 4:5-10 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? [6] But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. [7] Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [8] Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. [10] Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

I guess the point is: until recently I’d never seen the double minded was within me. Not someone I pointed at saying there is that rich one which perishes, that fades away, the fashion of him perishing. But that old man, that old sin nature is within me. How merciful is God to bring it low, and how merciful yet again in and “He will lift you up.”

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. [9] Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted: [10] But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away. [11] For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.

Rejoice in that old man is made low …because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away. For the sun is no sooner risen with burning heat, so shall the old man and the fashion of him fade away…

Rejoice in the New man, that He (Christ) who is lowly in heart is exalted: consider the verse “For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. [17] For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;” 2 Corinthians 4:16-17

Again Paul “in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. [12] I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. [13] I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
1 Samuel 2:5-7 They that were full have hired out themselves for bread; and they that were hungry ceased: so that the barren hath born seven; and she that hath many children is waxed feeble. [6] The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up. [7] The Lord maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up. (Remember “humble yourselves in the sight of God and He shall lift you up” with “He brings low, and lifts up” “He brings down to the grave, and brings up” For no man can serve two masters and to be double minded is unstable …when one perishes and fades away, the fashion of it passing away… How can we serve two minds?

Last edited:
Reactions: quietthinker

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Learning to deal with, and walking out dealing with the double-soul set (carnal nature) is what the past twenty-one years of my life has been about. Have you ever heard of the teaching of Dr. Bruce Thompsom, called, "The Divine Plumbline?" There is a parallel book called, "The Walls Of My Heart."

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I’ve been considering “double minded” a lot the past couple days.
Thanks for providing this morning's topical study, Victoryin Jesus.

The context is unwavering faith when asking God for wisdom in the face of difficulties:

Jas 1:2-8 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into divers temptations; (3) Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience. (4) But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (5) If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that gives to all men liberally, and upbraids not; and it shall be given him. (6) But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. (7) For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. (8) A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

This chapter instructs on both the holy and unholy trials and temptations of life.

The holy trials test our patience and our faith. Being poor is no reason to abandon faith in God, and being rich is no excuse to think faith in God is unnecessary.

The unholy trials are the result of desires that lead to sin, for which God is not to be blamed.

Those who endure testing are rewarded with the Crown of Life.

Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him.

We are to resist being double-minded, having the utmost trust and confidence in God and His favour towards us at during good times, but doubting and distrusting Him when disppointments, hardships, and storms beset us.

Last edited: