A good write-up on why you should use the Condordant Bible Version

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus isn't a Tool

Tool: A person used as an instrument by another person.​

“God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ” (Romans 2:16)

“And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ” (2 Corinthians 5:18)

Sound like a tool to me…

• Love
Reactions: APAK

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Tool: A person used as an instrument by another person.​

Jesus was not a "human person", = the Man Jesus, until after He was born of a virgin on earth, Michia-imla.

So, when Christ was in Heaven as the "WORD" He was not a "human person" yet.

He was a Spirit..same as God.

Here is the verse.

"Christ IS That SPIRIT" = The Holy Spirit. and "God is A Spirit" = The Holy Spirit

Here is more Proof.
Only God can give the Holy Spirit.
He gave it to Adam in Genesis 2 and Jesus gave it to the Apostles in John 20:22, and then to the Hebrew believers in Acts 2.

Same God, doing the same thing, but Jesus was God in the FLESH when He was down here, originally.
He's still God in the Flesh, but now He's in Heaven, and He's also in all the Born again, spiritually.
Only God can do all this., Michiah-imla.

Only GOD can put His Spirit in you as "Christ in you" as that is God in you, as the born again becoming "the TEMPLE of the HOLY SPIRIT".

= "Body of Christ".

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Behold

Just acknowledge the mystery of God and of Christ like “Pauline theology” teaches us:

“That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ” (Colossians 2:2)

Stay within the bounds of plainly written scripture so that unity can spring forth.

:Thumbsup:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting back on topic...

28 "And do not fear those who are killing the body, yet are not able to kill the soul. Yet be fearing Him, rather, Who is able to destroy the soul as well as the body in Gehenna. (Matthew 10:28)

4 For if God spares not sinning messengers, but thrusting them into the gloomy caverns of Tartarus, gives them up to be kept for chastening judging;

14 And death and the unseen were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death-the lake of fire.
(Revelation 21:14)

I see they decided to retain as place-names Gehenna and Tartarus, but not Hades (or Sheol in the OT). I've advocated using the actual names for years instead of "Hell" for all of them, so I like that development. But I'm sure new readers will see this and ask themselves, "Where the hell is Gehenna?"

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4 Now the human knew Eve his wife. She became pregnant and gave birth to Cain ... (Genesis 4:1)

This is where I dislike the strategy of literal word-for-word translations. Do we really need to perpetuate a 3000-year-old euphemism for sexual intercourse?

"Using 'to know' for sexual intercourse makes the tender love song 'Getting to know you' obscene, changes the proverb 'Know thyself' to 'Go **** yourself', and makes the expression 'God knows' unutterably blasphemous". - Allan Sherman

And why don't they make "Adam" a proper name?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Testament Greek text gives us “Lord” when citing Old Testament passages containing the 4-letters of God’s “name”.

It was not “extremely important” to God to reveal his name, so why do you belabor this matter?

:IDK:
Have you never read?:
Ex 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Ex 20:2 I am Jehovah thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Ex 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Ex 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness [of any thing] that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Ex 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me,
Ex 20:6 and showing lovingkindness unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
Ex 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of Jehovah thy God in vain; for Jehovah will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Or what about Jesus' words about the greatest law?: (Matthew 22:37, 38) . . .He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment.

Not important? Take a gander at what Jehovah said to Pharaoh after the 6th plague: (Exodus 9:16) . . .But for this very reason I have kept you in existence: to show you my power and to have my name declared in all the earth.

Keep in mind for us how important it is, Rom 10:13 shows your salvation is dependent upon calling on Jehovah's name.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what about Jesus' words about the greatest law?: (Matthew 22:37, 38) . . .He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God

Jesus did not say “Jehovah” in your scripture citation.

He said κύριος (Lord).

And all the Old Testament references do not say “Jehovah” either, they say יהוה (YHWH).

I have gleaned the following from Wikipedia:

“There is no consensus about the structure and etymology of the name, the form Yahweh is now accepted almost universally, though the vocalization Jehovah continues to have wide usage.”

“…the Tetragrammaton should be pronounced as "Adonai" and in general do not speculate on what may have been the original pronunciation”

I agree.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“…the Tetragrammaton should be pronounced as "Adonai" and in general do not speculate on what may have been the original pronunciation”
I suppose if you never SAY The Name, you can't take it in vain.

Do we have to argue this here?

You say I took The Name in vain,
I don't even know The Name,
But even if I did, really, what's it to ya?
There's a blaze of light in every word,
It doesn't matter which one you heard,
The Holy or the broken 'Hallelujah'.
-Leonard Cohen

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose if you never SAY The Name, you can't take it in vain.

“…there is one God…” (1 Timothy 2:5)

And any reference to Him (Lord, Most High, God, etc.) is His name.

“And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.” (Exodus 3:13-14)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To stay on topic, but speaking of (and speaking) The Name:

Now Yahweh passed by on before his face and proclaimed:
Yahweh, Yahweh El,
Who is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abundant with benignity and truth,
preserving benignity to thousands, bearing with depravity, transgression and sin,
yet He is not holding innocent, nay innocent−,
but visiting the depravity of the fathers on the sons and on the sons’ sons,
on the third and on the fourth generation.
(Exodus 34:6-7, Concordant version)

Translating חֶסֶד ("Chesed": Mercy, loving kindness, steadfast love) as "benignity"? I didn't know "benignity" was even a word.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Behold's verses, Concordant version:

13 Now Moses said to the One, Elohim: Behold! When I am coming to the sons of Israel, and I say to them, The Elohim of your fathers, He sends me to you, then they will say to me, What about His Name? What shall I say to them?
14 Then Elohim spoke to Moses: I shall come to be just as I am coming to be. And He said: Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel, I-Shall-Come-to-Be, He has sent me to you.
15 And Elohim said further to Moses: Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel, Yahweh, the Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac and the Elohim of Jacob, He has sent me to you. This is My Name for the eon, And this the Remembrance of Me for generation after generation.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He said κύριος (Lord).

And all the Old Testament references do not say “Jehovah” either, they say יהוה (YHWH).

I have gleaned the following from Wikipedia:

“There is no consensus about the structure and etymology of the name, the form Yahweh is now accepted almost universally, though the vocalization Jehovah continues to have wide usage.”

I agree.
He didn't? What was he quoting sir? Do you think he would alter God's written word? I don't, so why do you?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He said κύριος (Lord).

He didn't? What was he quoting sir?
How come nobody sees the obvious?

When speaking with his fellow countrymen, Jesus almost certainly would have spoken in Aramaic, and his scripture citations would almost certainly have been the Hebrew. (My colleagues in Yokohama and Beijing may use English as the international business language when we have conference calls, but among themselves, they speak Japanese and Chinese.) The corollary is, we don't know exactly what Jesus actually said; all we have is an English translation of a Greek translation of Jesus's actual words.

But before we conclude that Jesus would have pronounced The Name, we have to ask ourselves if the Jewish convention of substituting אֲדֹנֵי ("Adonai", Lord) for the Tetragrammaton when reading the Scriptures was in effect in 30 AD, and if so, would Jesus have followed it?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How come nobody sees the obvious?

When speaking with his fellow countrymen, Jesus almost certainly would have spoken in Aramaic, and his scripture citations would almost certainly have been the Hebrew. (My colleagues in Yokohama and Beijing may use English as the international business language when we have conference calls, but among themselves, they speak Japanese and Chinese.) The corollary is, we don't know exactly what Jesus actually said; all we have is an English translation of a Greek translation of Jesus's actual words.

But before we conclude that Jesus would have pronounced The Name, we have to ask ourselves if the Jewish convention of substituting אֲדֹנֵי ("Adonai", Lord) for the Tetragrammaton when reading the Scriptures was in effect in 30 AD, and if so, would Jesus have followed it?
Once you know how much names mean to God it is really rather obvious. Jesus was a perfect person of God, he did not sin. Men do alter God's word as you stated, but no doubt Jesus would have quoted it exactly. When he was praying to his God and Father, he stated he had made His name known. What is the most recorded name in the Bible Lambo?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the most recorded name in the Bible Lambo?
I notice The Name is never used in the New Testament. Put yourself in the place of the NT writers or the Septuagint translators of the OT. Bob, how would you have transliterated The Name into Greek?

If you get it wrong, are you guilty of blasphemy?

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I notice The Name is never used in the New Testament. Put yourself in the place of the NT writers or the Septuagint translators of the OT. Bob, how would you have transliterated The Name into Greek?

If you get it wrong, are you guilty of blasphemy?
It was used, your translators left it out obviously. Since Jesus made God's name known, and the so called new testament revolves around him, then it was obviously there, why do you suppose they chose to leave it out?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17:6, Concordant version:

6 I manifest Thy name to the men whom Thou givest Me out of the world. Thine they were, and to Me Thou givest them, and Thy word they have kept.

"Manifest" is a legitimate translation of Ἐφανέρωσά (ephanerosa), but I would've used the simpler "made visible". I do protest against using the King James-ian "Thy" and "Thou" and "Thine" and "givest" just because it's a formal prayer. C'mon, if you're going to translate, translate to modern English.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: new more accurate concordant version?

AI states: "One well-known concordant version of the Bible is the "Concordant Literal Version" (CLV), also known as the "Concordant Version" or the "Concordant Publishing Concern Version.""

Already the Confusion ( which "name" is your version? ) begins, so, I believe I'll just stay with
God's Word of Truth That "He Preserved For All generations," (Psalms 12:6-7 KJV):

"The Words of the LORD are Pure Words: as silver tried in a furnace​
of earth, purified seven times. Thou Shalt Keep Them, O LORD, Thou​
Shalt Preserve Them from this generation for ever."​

where the "new More Accurate" versions make a Change:

concordant: 6 The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace, like gold purified sevenfold. 7 You, O LORD, will keep us; You will forever guard us from this generation.…"

niv: 6 And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold[ a] refined seven times. 7 You, Lord, will keep the needy safe and will protect us forever from the wicked,

How are God's Words "Pure And Flawless" When "men constantly Change Them?

To "make filthy lucre" because at least 30% has to be Changed in order to secure a New
Copyright, ( "there must be sufficient originality or substantial changes made to the existing
text." ) Correct?

So, doing that Very Thing over 100 times is not a "red flag" for corrupting:

"God's Pure And Flawless Words"?

Amen.

Reactions: rwb

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: new more accurate concordant version?

AI states: "One well-known concordant version of the Bible is the "Concordant Literal Version" (CLV), also known as the "Concordant Version" or the "Concordant Publishing Concern Version.""

Already the Confusion ( which "name" is your version? ) begins, so, I believe I'll just stay with
God's Word of Truth That "He Preserved For All generations," (Psalms 12:6-7 KJV):

"The Words of the LORD are Pure Words: as silver tried in a furnace​
of earth, purified seven times. Thou Shalt Keep Them, O LORD, Thou​
Shalt Preserve Them from this generation for ever."​

where the "new More Accurate" versions make a Change:

concordant: 6 The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace, like gold purified sevenfold. 7 You, O LORD, will keep us; You will forever guard us from this generation.…"

niv: 6 And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold[ a] refined seven times. 7 You, Lord, will keep the needy safe and will protect us forever from the wicked,

How are God's Words "Pure And Flawless" When "men constantly Change Them?

To "make filthy lucre" because at least 30% has to be Changed in order to secure a New
Copyright, ( "there must be sufficient originality or substantial changes made to the existing
text." ) Correct?

So, doing that Very Thing over 100 times is not a "red flag" for corrupting:

"God's Pure And Flawless Words"?

Amen.

You're right. My OP was vague. I recommend the Concordant Literal New Testament.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador