A New Reformation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church today is in dire straights. Believers the world over are to busy arguing with one another to actually attempt to live as Christ would have us live. People are buying the lie that
being a Christian means nothing more than fire insurance. We are so caught up in things like 'speaking in tongues' and things of the such that we neglect the most basic of Christian teachings. If these things were so important, Jesus would have focused on them during his Earthly ministry, but He didn't. He instead focused on building Himself a kingdom that would spread His word, the good news that He has paid in full for the sins of all those whom the Spirit leads to a saving knowledge in Him. Instead, we seem to be fixated on spreading a theology that teaches, in at least some form, at least partial self-salvation. We say that we don't need doctrine; we need the Bible. I argue that until we have good, solid doctrine, we cannot have any chance of understanding what the Scriptures really teach. I believe that, in order for the people of God to become a more unified whole, we are in desperate need of a new reformation, one that will bring about a revival in true, meaningful biblical teaching. Your thoughts?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I remember all the Scripture Study classes Jesus set up and held every Friday night. I think He had a couple of Pharisees teaching some of them.

Reactions: faithfulness

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe that, in order for the people of God to become a more unified whole, we are in desperate need of a new reformation, one that will bring about a revival in true, meaningful biblical teaching. Your thoughts?
Your assessment about the current state of affairs is excellent. However, the solution you have proposed is probably too late when applied across the board (within Christendom). However, individual groups of believers should find this more beneficial, provided they revert back to the New Testament pattern and diligently avoid man-made or humanistic ideas.

A recent example of why your solution will find few takers is the Southern Baptist Convention, and the direction in which its new President want to go -- liberalism and political correctness instead of the consistent application of Bible principles and Bible truth.

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A new transformation

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. Ez36:26

A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my body yearns for You in a dry and weary land without water. Ps63:1

Come unto Me...

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that God will either do great and wonderful things by changing the hearts of the masses to Him, or He will condemn us just as He did the Ancient Roman empire. This is why I posted this thread.... to assess whether or not we really could indeed have a new reformation.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About the only "reformation" I think we need is to give the operation and functioning of the church back to the people it consists of, instead of a small hierarchy of both Catholic and Protestant "leaders." Both denominations have become "their church", and the members just supply the money.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are so caught up in things like 'speaking in tongues' and things of the such that we neglect the most basic of Christian teachings.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's my guess that you are not a tongue speaker.

I firmly believe that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues
changes a lot of things in a christian's life.

I believe it's one of the main events in scripture.
Jesus said: "Wait upon the power from upon high".
Why would Jesus commend people to wait for that power?

The "new reformation" started with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
It was the start of the apostolic church.
But a lot of people are missing out on that because it's ignored in many churches.
Some church groups preach against it.
And that's where the problem is.

Reactions: amadeus